Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Population matters, you guys even joke about that bu saying AEMATT.

When watching national news I prefer to hear about the entire nation  but thats jmho. Pretty big story about being the coldest spot in the entire globe relative to normal no matter the population.  

As a side-car concept to the "relative importance of sensible weather" discussion... 

There are theoretical works that describe mid latitudes over the continents as plausibly experiencing extreme cold waves due to warm climate change ... counter-intuitive as that may be. The focus was during the earlier phases of said change. 

The ideas center around oceanic basin heat surpluses triggering an increased frequencies/distribution of positive geopotential atmospheric anomalies in their eastern regions.  The resulting tendency for more arc flows at increasingly higher latitudes establishes cold conveyor activity more frequently ... into the continental winter seasons.  

This all goes back to the earlier days of GW prediction and the primitive climate modeling (by today's standards) of the late 1980s.  I'm not sure if those studies are still carried out or even followed through .. but I recall reading of this way back in the day. It was (also) contained in the earlier discussion over the thermal-haline/Atlantic ocean circulation, and how the ambient salinity can cause the G-string to collapse...etc etc.. 

Well, flash forward 30 years. Who knows what the status of the gulf stream is, but the atmospheric stuff seems to be a fit there over the last 10 years.  Lot's of warm departures interrupted by excessive if not historic cold..  Interesting.   I also recall reading along the way that GW/climate change therefrom doesn't mean "warm" days necessarily ... more like extremes ... so perhaps that's concomitant. 

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Labbatts blue used to be awesome on tap until the brewer changed

When I was living in LA and my sons were little we’d watch NHL playoffs sponsored by Labatts starting at 5 LA time.  We also set up a hockey hall.  A lot of replastering...lol.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

The lack of national attention to the incredible cold outbreak in the Montana Dakotas region speaks volumes to media bias. If they were plus 35 you would hear it day after day.

Lol.  Not. I literally don't think what you've just said is true or supported by fact.  In fact, the obsession with "the attack of the polar vortex" was a huge media event I think last year and also this year in the midwest record breaking cold outbreak.   Average global temps keep going up and setting records.  The planet is warming in substantial and dangerous ways and a good part of it is driven by our way of life as humans.  That's the story, not cold as proof of non-global warming, or hot spells as proof of global warming.

42 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Thank you Ginxy for bringing this to light....it is so true, now more than ever. If it was super warm there they'd have Bill Nye and all these climate experts on cable news explaining how it's the end of the world....but if its super cold in red-leaning states......oh well who cares, doesn't fit the agenda like you say. Not trying to make a political debate but its important to see through the BS on both sides. 

You guys should put down the bastardi-bong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Another media bias place. Its horrible how bad the national cable news is. Just brutal.  I miss independent journalism and great journalists.  The best journalists are investigative and we are lucky here in CT to have some fantastic ones. The rest are not journalists but rather reporters with guidelines to follow

There is plenty of good and independent journalism.  If you are libertarian leaning and centrist read Tyler Cowen's blog.  The Economist is a good centrist source.  Andrew Sullivan is great Center-Right.  Ezra Klein and Vox are fantastic on the Left, as is Chris Hayes and Rachel Maddow.  There is more and better independent journalism now than at anytime in my lifetime.

Yeah... agree with Scott - 

too early to tell if next week's Euro complexion whittles down to 20 hours of 52 F mist before refreeze ...  

Crucially the handling of the lead high pressure ... spatially and timing.  Obviously if the high pressure retreats E... no one warm ups east of Albany much on day one of that.  The sun will obviously play into that affect/off set too.. .but I've seen 850s of 15 F and temps at the surface of only 48 F with east winds in full sun in late May.  And if that regime plays out... then as the front approaches we end up with 52 mist or something like that. 

If the high settles/retreats more south than E... different universe. 

Either correction at this range -

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

There is plenty of good and independent journalism.  If you are libertarian leaning and centrist read Tyler Cowen's blog.  The Economist is a good centrist source.  Andrew Sullivan is great Center-Right.  Ezra Klein and Vox are fantastic on the Left, as is Chris Hayes and Rachel Maddow.  There is more and better independent journalism now than at anytime in my lifetime.

Lol oh you lost me at Rachel Maddow geezus 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

You have no value for anyone who thinks differently.  Good to know. I already said the climate is warming but you have gone a different route I never expected from you.

I read lots of people with a broad range of views.  The point you were making about media reporting heat waves and not cold waves just struck me as completely inaccurate, and very much like what I read on Bastardi's twitter blog.  I don't initiate political conversations in here but I do respond to them, directly.  

12 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Lol.  Not. I literally don't think what you've just said is true or supported by fact.  In fact, the obsession with "the attack of the polar vortex" was a huge media event I think last year and also this year in the midwest record breaking cold outbreak.   Average global temps keep going up and setting records.  The planet is warming in substantial and dangerous ways and a good part of it is driven by our way of life as humans.  That's the story, not cold as proof of non-global warming, or hot spells as proof of global warming.

Probably best if you curtail your jet setting and take the train

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol oh you lost me at Rachel Maddow geezus 

Interesting what you chose to pay attention to.  I read across the spectrum from Center-right to Left.  Rachel is Center-Left in her viewpoint.  She does absolutely fantastic fact-based reporting, going into depth on issues.  Blows her competition in her time slot, when compariing her to Hannity and the preppy white supremacist guy, and the shouting and screaming on CNN.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

The lack of national attention to the incredible cold outbreak in the Montana Dakotas region speaks volumes to media bias. If they were plus 35 you would hear it day after day.

I don't think it has to do with a climate change bias.  I think it has more to do with the low population there...which is unfortunate.  It's all about social media and "exposure" these days.

Rhinelander, WI just broke its all time monthly snowfall record by 20+" in Feb, and they have over 100" on the season with 35" snow cover...not bad for a non-snowbelt location in the Midwest.  Parts of the UP snow belts have 50-70" of snow cover.  Not one word in the media.  If Chicago had a big snowfall season, the media would be all over it...and there would be the typical rubber stamp footage of an old dude with a hat on protecting themselves from the wind saying "what a dreadful winter....waaa...waaa...woe is me"...even though the northern plains have this nearly every day in DJF and it's just part of life.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I read lots of people with a broad range of views.  The point you were making about media reporting heat waves and not cold waves just struck me as completely inaccurate, and very much like what I read on Bastardi's twitter blog.  I don't initiate political conversations in here but I do respond to them, directly.  

Its not a report about cold waves either but IMHO its about not reporting about the coldest relative to normal in the entire globe in our own country.  Well apparently our country is only coastal elites according to many .