Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, dendrite said:

Yeah...does anything make national news up there? Maybe a bear breaking into a kitchen?

Apparently you both missed the oil rush. Like CNNH is more populated  Perhaps by the end of March the Nations coldest long term cold outbreak in history and its a sidebar. Again the point being if it were +38 you would be all over it

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Apparently you both missed the oil rush. Like CNNH is more populated  Perhaps by the end of March the Nations coldest long term cold outbreak in history and its a sidebar. Again the point being if it were +38 you would be all over it

If its not in some's BY it never happened?

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

I would be all over it? I don't care either way...whether it's a chinook or a fake cold high. Being landlocked up there gives them some big extremes. Havre was +7 in Jan before pulling the -28 in Feb. I don't think some news weenie in NY really cares....they just figure MT/ND are supposed to be cold.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I would be all over it? I don't care either way...whether it's a chinook or a fake cold high. Being landlocked up there gives them some big extremes. Havre was +7 in Jan before pulling the -28 in Feb. I don't think some news weenie in NY really cares....they just figure MT/ND are supposed to be cold.

Hide their head in the sand unless it fits the agenda. Typical stuff. I agree the climate is warming no doubt but the media agenda is self serving and exploitative.  We will all be dead in 12 years  anyways.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Part of it is the location. Nobody lives there. Media isn’t going to care that some Elk died from the cold.

Again you miss the point. The WAPO would have front page news for days if it was plus 38, there is zero doubt in my mind what is going on. Lemmings gonna lem

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Again you miss the point. The WAPO would have front page news for days if it was plus 38, there is zero doubt in my mind what is going on. Lemmings gonna lem

I honestly don’t think it would. Not much more than what we’ve heard about the cold anyways. What I would say is that if it were +4 in DC or NY.....you would hear a lot more about it, vs -37 in  Brown Bear country. That’s just population bias. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I honestly don’t think it would. Not much more than what we’ve heard about the cold anyways. What I would say is that if it were +4 in DC or NY.....you would hear a lot more about it, vs -37 in  Brown Bear country. That’s just population bias. 

Coldest departures on the entire globe in our country,  not just Montana Dakotas but nothing to see here. Just watch the news when its plus 35 up in that area. Its been so obvious for several years now that once the mass media jumps on something they keep it going for ratings no matter the facts.  Across all spectrum of society not just weather. 

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thank you Ginxy for bringing this to light....it is so true, now more than ever. If it was super warm there they'd have Bill Nye and all these climate experts on cable news explaining how it's the end of the world....but if its super cold in red-leaning states......oh well who cares, doesn't fit the agenda like you say. Not trying to make a political debate but its important to see through the BS on both sides. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Part of it is the location. Nobody lives there. Media isn’t going to care that some Elk died from the cold.

It's the media's focus on the coasts that's the issue here. Not loving warm over cold.

I can guarantee you if NYC and BOS were putting up departures like that it would seem like end times on the media... particularly if it was cold. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Thank you Ginxy for bringing this to light....it is so true, now more than ever. If it was super warm there they'd have Bill Nye and all these climate experts on cable news explaining how it's the end of the world....but if its super cold in red-leaning states......oh well who cares, doesn't fit the agenda like you say. Not trying to make a political debate but its important to see through the BS on both sides. 

I honestly think you're reading way too much into this. There have been tons of really epic warm patterns in the plains and upper midwest that have gotten little attention. If Great Falls, MT was +40 for the month no one would care just like no one cares that they're -40F. It's geographic bias. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Take for instance us last February when it got to 77F. We had one reporter on warm weather and people enjoying the warmth. I did a sidebar about climate change and warmer days becoming more common in a warming world, etc. 

Fast forward to the day with record cold this year and we had 2 meteorologists on it and 3 reporters talking about pipes, cars, waterspouts, little johnny freezing at the bus stop, etc.

There's no question that unusual winter cold gets far more media attention than winter warmth. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

It's the media's focus on the coasts that's the issue here. Not loving warm over cold.

I can guarantee you if NYC and BOS were putting up departures like that it would seem like end times on the media... particularly if it was cold. 

How about LA never hitting 70 for the first time in Feb. Yea pretty silent.  Sad state of the hype media. Hard to even watch NBC nightly news with the agenda driven stuff. Thank god many of us educate ourselves and are not lemmings to the media agenda 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, CT Rain said:

Take for instance us last February when it got to 77F. We had one reporter on warm weather and people enjoying the warmth. I did a sidebar about climate change and warmer days becoming more common in a warming world, etc. 

Fast forward to the day with record cold this year and we had 2 meteorologists on it and 3 reporters talking about pipes, cars, waterspouts, little johnny freezing at the bus stop, etc.

There's no question that unusual winter cold gets far more media attention than winter warmth. 

Lol lets look back at the reality of reporting in Feb nationally.  Local news is local for the most part, no one sees the agenda there like the national big boys

• Haha 1

How about LA never hitting 70 for the first time in Feb. Yea pretty silent.  Sad state of the hype media. Hard to even watch NBC nightly news with the agenda driven stuff. Thank god many of us educate ourselves and are not lemmings to the media agenda 

Yet everyone's cool with the polar vortex stuff for days? Give me a break. I don't think there's any agenda besides a clear population/geographic bias and focusing on what's more impactful. I've seen ton of coverage of the atmospheric river events in SoCal. 

• Like 1

Just now, CT Rain said:

Yet everyone's cool with the polar vortex stuff for days? Give me a break. I don't think there's any agenda besides a clear population/geographic bias and focusing on what's more impactful. I've seen ton of coverage of the atmospheric river events in SoCal. 

National news is agenda driven, you are too close to see it. 

• Haha 1

How about LA never hitting 70 for the first time in Feb. Yea pretty silent. 

Sounds like some kind of sabremetric stat. Bob Zupcic batted .323 on Thursdays in June with runners on the corners with a lead of 4 or more runs.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I honestly think you're reading way too much into this. There have been tons of really epic warm patterns in the plains and upper midwest that have gotten little attention. If Great Falls, MT was +40 for the month no one would care just like no one cares that they're -40F. It's geographic bias. 

That's my opinion too.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Maybe go to Fox News so you can hear about global cooling and that higher greenhouse gas emissions correlate to living longer?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Luckily enough of us can think independently and see through both sides bullshit.

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That has more to do with clouds and rain than cold.  Many sunny days in a row would hit 70.

Just now, dendrite said:

Maybe go to Fox News so you can hear about global cooling and that higher greenhouse gas emissions correlate to living longer?

Another media bias place. Its horrible how bad the national cable news is. Just brutal.  I miss independent journalism and great journalists.  The best journalists are investigative and we are lucky here in CT to have some fantastic ones. The rest are not journalists but rather reporters with guidelines to follow

Another media bias place. Its horrible how bad the national cable news is. Just brutal.  I miss independent journalism and great journalists.  The best journalists are investigative and we are lucky here in CT to have some fantastic ones. The rest are not journalists but rather reporters with guidelines to follow

Yeah it's sad...it's all about clicks and ratings now. It's the same thing everywhere....natl news, ESPN, TWC, etc.

• Like 2