Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

11 hours ago, weathafella said:

NAVGEM used to be NOGAPS.  The model is part of the US Navys Fleet Meteorology and Oceanography Centery.  If I choose to look at it I get it here:

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/cgi-bin/wxmap_DOD_area.cgi?area=fnmoc_namer&set=All

I remember the days of the Navy NOGAPS. Always the last to come on board during winter storms because of a progressive bias IIRC and always the last to be looked at and weighted lol

I know most don't like it but multiple days of sun with temperatures below freezing in March, with full snow cover, is pretty cool in my book.  Especially with what has been a marginal winter in south central New England.

(yes I think Greenfield is more part of central New England as far as winter climates ago)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

That is what I’m talking about. That’s a horrible map, it’s including sleet as snow, grossly overdone and not even close. Those 10:1 ratio maps are junk. Here’s the real snow map: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=namconus&region=neus&pkg=asnowd&runtime=2019030718&fh=84

Instantweather is the best for snow maps in my opinion.. 

USA_ASNOWIPER_sfc_084.gif

39 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Clown range rgem is starting to ramp it up a bit. If we can rip in good omega Sunday morning, wouldn't surprise me to see 2-4"

Some of the guidance is going good until about 395-ORH longitude and then craps out eastward. There is a good mid level WF sig, so hopefully that can help sustain the lift further east. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well under cover of darkness at 4:30 am it’s cold in Morch or Nov.. but that doesn’t have anything to do with snow. Morch snows just are different and have a different feel than winter snows. The high sun, the long days, the melting in sun even on cold days. It’s all different. Everyone here agrees 

Day 2 same look, same feel, could feel the ice cold snow radiating cold while sitting on the steps. The look of the cake is unreal, perhaps because you had fluffy stuff it’s different. That 15 minute mix with torrential rain the other night just locked the cake in. So gorgeous out here. The sun reflecting off the ice has made for stunning winter scenes, impressive any time of year. Best cement outcome in years. The other March cement storms didn’t lock in, this one with its -15 to -20 departures is pure winter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

That map is no more correct then the the other TT map............lol

I think it’s closer to the truth in these setups with a good amount of sleet. But that is straight from the model and not an algorithm. It’s just taking the modeled positive change in depth.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think it’s closer to the truth in these setups with a good amount of sleet. But that is straight from the model and not an algorithm. It’s just taking the modeled positive change in depth.

Kuchera is usually pretty close in sleet events but not so good with all snow. Bufkit is best

7 hours ago, dryslot said:

That map is no more correct then the the other TT map............lol

Agreed.  Here are NAM maps from 0z March 2nd, showing both.  There was no sleet projected in most of that area from at least Weymouth on north, yet the net positive map cut down the accumulation.

namconus_asnow_neus_21.pngnamconus_asnowd_neus_21.png