Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

watch it turn into a two days at 52 with fast gray streets and mist, then refreeze with a storm missing to the south... Followed by a Lakes cutter ...Then, a big bomb on the charts that just before it happens...mysteriously vanishes because of the sun's normalizing power at this time of year.  Sad trumpet end to the winter. 

I would not be shocked if this type of scenario occurred 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

watch it turn into a two days at 52 with fast gray streets and mist, then refreeze with a storm missing to the south... Followed by a Lakes cutter ...Then, a big bomb on the charts that just before it happens...mysteriously vanishes because of the sun's normalizing power at this time of year.  Sad trumpet end to the winter. 

This is the chaos I live for.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I would not be shocked if this type of scenario occurred 

I would be shocked if this year doesn't go out with a bang, even if that means some anomalous 6" interior paste bomb in mid-April when Tip is toeing through the tulips to recover a lost disc golf driver.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I would be shocked if this year doesn't go out with a bang, even if that means some anomalous 6" interior paste bomb in mid-April when Tip is toeing through the tulips to recover a lost disc golf driver.

We're due for a late season nuke in SNE  (I'm talking like 12"+ over a decent area)...we've had some close calls but haven't quite gotten one post-March 20th in many years. Last year we had the close tease, ditto close teases in both 2013 and 2014 in late March. 2011 was a moderate storm on 3/31-4/1, 2016 was also a moderate storm...both didn't quite organize enough to be a true double digit bomb. Patriots Day 2007 was for NNE...we just got minor snowfall over the interior.

March 30, 2001 might be the last one but that was only the northern section of SNE over the elevated interior. Anyone south of ORH got skunked. We probably have to go back to 1997 to qualify. That's crazy. 

We had big double digit events in 1996, 1987, 1984, and 1982 as well. We've been on a cold streak. 

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We're due for a late season nuke in SNE  (I'm talking like 12"+ over a decent area)...we've had some close calls but haven't quite gotten one post-March 20th in many years. Last year we had the close tease, ditto close teases in both 2013 and 2014 in late March. 2011 was a moderate storm on 3/31-4/1, 2016 was also a moderate storm...both didn't quite organize enough to be a true double digit bomb. Patriots Day 2007 was for NNE...we just got minor snowfall over the interior.

March 30, 2001 might be the last one but that was only the northern section of SNE over the elevated interior. Anyone south of ORH got skunked. We probably have to go back to 1997 to qualify. That's crazy. 

We had big double digit events in 1996, 1987, 1984, and 1982 as well. We've been on a cold streak. 

What was the date of the March bomb last year that we scored like 2'? I thought it was late March...must have just seemed that way after 75F in February. 

13 minutes ago, DomNH said:

What was the date of the March bomb last year that we scored like 2'? I thought it was late March...must have just seemed that way after 75F in February. 

That was 3/13. The 2017 bomb was 3/14. So both were solidly into March but just not late March. We've had some big ones recently in March starting in 2013 but all of them were prior to 3/20. 

The Cape got a good one on 3/26/14 but almost nothing fell northwest of the Canal. 

36 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If that’s the case then how overdue are we for a direct hit from a cane?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Long over due!! 5 yrs being in S FL I have a new appreciation of tropical systems. New Englanders for the most part are not prepared for a CAT 1 hit or greater. 

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Last one was Bob in '91. So we're almost going on 30 years. That's about as long as we get in the record. We did go 25 years between Donna (1960) and Gloria (1985) and while records a little bit worse before that, it's pretty likely that 1938 was the first hurricane strike in New England of the 20th century after an obscenely active late 1800s. 

But from a climo perspective, we've been in a real hurricane drought going back to the middle 20th century. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was reading a town history from the late 1800s. It included several June snow events plus a big freshet in 1869.

i knew about the 1816 June snow but hadn’t been aware of any others.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'll bet we score late season and pickles sweats.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I was reading a town history from the late 1800s. It included several June snow events plus a big freshet in 1869.

I'm ready to work freshet of yore into my AFDs.

But that event specifically still has some scars in the White Mountains (Tripyramids specifically). 

11 hours ago, dryslot said:

I see the 12z Fv3 is running and the GFS is not, Have they made the transition over now?

FV3 will be running in parallel (indefinitely) to the GFS, but that transition is TBD. Don't expect to see it before April anyway.

11 hours ago, dendrite said:

It's been performing better as of late. Did the GGEM get an upgrade? Pretty high score for its standards.

Time to start locking the RGEM again.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

October, 1869; Saxby's gale in that it was predicted by Saxby, a British naval officer, using calculations based on moon patterns. Aside from devastating gales from southern New England to the Maritimes (Where it made landfall as a full-fledged hurricane) its "freshet" caused widespread 55 flood type damage; for one taking out the mill that used to exist on the stream that flows through my property in Monson; and its winds taking down the steeple of the First Church in town; a feat repeated twice more thanks to the 38 Hurricane, and the 2011 tornado.

• Like 2