Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

41 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

The US population will love next weeks false spring day or 3 before the bottom drops out. That's a nice winter storm look too, where I come from. A one day peek and a 5 day average.  Old man ain't going out without a fight 

download (32).png

download (33).png

Let's get one big storm that dumps the rest of Canada's cold air into the US along with it enough snow to put all of us at or above average for the season. Followed by a permanent shift into spring. Is that too much to ask?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mahk_webstah said:

Wpc snow probs pretty high for cne nne Sunday but gyx not excited not is this board

I think you hit the nail on the head. We’re not “excited” for it. Expect a couple inches of glop before the cold fropa comes through to give us a day in the 40s. 

36 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Next week looks fairly mild, esp late. You're going to get that approaching mid March. No Earth shattering news there. Then one big PNA spike to perhaps end this winter. 

Yeah... I actually agree (tentatively) with Steve as we approach the Equinox ... and yourself; that "signal" (if we wanna call it that) began showing up a couple days ago.

One thing about it though that makes me a little apprehensive is that seasonal changing that's kicking in.. Different than normal levels of uncertainty, it adds a factor of sometimes pulling the rug out from underneath the teleconnectors - a phenomenon that destablizes them in late Autumn too. As you/we know ...transition season makes outlooks less reliable at all scales and scopes - including ensemble derivatives - than normal stochastic. They can be signaling a +PNA on March 6th for week two, and the sun annihilates the hemisphere and obliterates the wave signs in the process and the signal damps.  It's another reason why sometimes blue bomb cut off looks at this time of year end up inconsequential whirls with cap cu..   Yet at other times, they just are so anomalously cold aloft that they tunnel their way down.. Neither circumstance has a prayer of being handled beyond a D5 even.

In the mean time, the Euro's D9...pleezy weezy with sugar on top make that happen.  High pressure SE with 850s near +10C with well mixed environment would empty offices onto commons and parks. 

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah... I actually agree (tentatively) with Steve as we approach the Equinox ... and yourself; that "signal" (if we wanna call it that) began showing up a couple days ago.

One thing about it though that makes me a little apprehensive is that seasonal changing that's kicking in.. Different than normal levels of uncertainty, it adds a factor of sometimes pulling the rug out from underneath the teleconnectors - a phenomenon that destablizes them in late Autumn too. As you/we know ...transition season make outlooks unstable at all scales and scopes - including ensemble derivatives. They can be signaling a +PNA on March 6th for week two, and the sun annihilates the hemisphere and obliterates the wave signs in the process and the signal damps.  It's another reason why sometimes blue bomb cut off looks at this time of year end up inconsequential whirls with cap cu..   Yet at other times, they just are so anomalously cold aloft that they tunnel their way down..

In the mean time, the Euro's D9...pleezy weezy with sugar on top make that happen.  High pressure SE with 850s near +10C with well mixed environment would empty offices onto commons and parks. 

Ha. Nice way of looking at it. And I agree...bowling ball season doesn't really adhere to the typical PNA teleconnectors. 4/1/97 occurred with a big trough out west.

42 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. We’re not “excited” for it. Expect a couple inches of glop before the cold fropa comes through to give us a day in the 40s. 

Just to be clear, unless we can get a double digit storm, I am rooting for a mild-up and melt out asap.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

February 16th...although it was tied for the 3rd quickest winter to 100" at the long-term stake, it seemed to take forever.  The January 31st reading of 98" was the highest to end January, but snowfall puttered along in February.  Snowfall last month wasn't anything to write home about, below normal even, but it didn't melt aside from an early month thaw...it just slowly added to the existing base.

E1vHAfu.jpg

Today's reading.  With the NWS camera down, they can't get the readings so a small group of locals will continue to monitor and submit to the official record.

Z850Cnd.jpg

Is that spot against a tree or is just an old birch stump used to hold the stick? I would think the spot would be best out in the open. 

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ha. Nice way of looking at it. And I agree...bowling ball season doesn't really adhere to the typical PNA teleconnectors. 4/1/97 occurred with a big trough out west.

Since you mentioned that one, the absolute paragon of the bowling season phenomenon ... 

Folks should know/may recall that the Saturday before hand, just two days prior, back yards were in the mid 60s. I recall walking the University Ave bridge to Fox Tower dining hall up at UML in the Merrimack Valley, and the air was waving like you see in an African documentary.  I had just left the Lab, where the overhead stat monitor was pushing 63 at 11:55 a.m., I distinctly recall, and the day-2 DIFAX charts had a three or four contoured hornet sting passing under Long Island - it's a funny thing in that setting... As I stepped to the wind just before leaving for dining hall Saturday brunch, all of college life so clueless about what was coming.  High based, low DP cu fractals lazily drifting by toward the south.  Kevin's coveted nape exuberance so deeply immersing that all of society's eyes were glowing as though OD'ed on heroine.  That ... and the fact that 20 -year old college woman spilled out onto the commons on blankets in two pieces...  holy shit the humanity.. 

Two days later ... 30 inches.  Budda boom budda bing

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

With 30 to 40 inch bases up there in Western Maine and more snow on way no doubt. A week of 30s 40s followed by more snow  should allow it

The concerns i have is how this eventually melts off, They is a stealth pack up in western Maine and Northern NH.

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Since you mentioned that one, the absolute paragon of the bowling season phenomenon ... 

Folks should know/may recall that the Saturday before hand, just two days prior, back yards were in the mid 60s. I recall walking the University Ave bridge to Fox Tower dining hall up at UML in the Merrimack Valley, and the air was waving like you see in an African documentary.  I had just left the Lab, where the overhead stat monitor was pushing 63 at 11:55 a.m., I distinctly recall, and the day-2 DIFAX charts had a three or four contoured hornet sting passing under Long Island - it's a funny thing in that setting... As I stepped to the wind just before leaving for dining hall Saturday brunch, all of college life so clueless about what was coming.  High based, low DP cu fractals lazily drifting by toward the south.  Kevin's coveted nape exuberance so deeply immersing that all of society's eyes were glowing as though OD'ed on heroine.  That ... and the fact that 20 -year old college woman spilled out onto the commons on blankets in two pieces...  holy shit the humanity.. 

Two days later ... 30 inches.  Budda boom budda bing

LOL, great post.