Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's "positive snow depth change"...I wouldn't use it. Also, clown maps in general still suck....they sucked 10 years and still do today.

I will never understand the fascination some people have with them. I guess I can understand using them or sharing them as a joke aspect, but there are people who use them heavily for forecasting. Those things will never be good...the algorithms don't even really incorporate the most important facets of snow forecasting lol

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I will never understand the fascination some people have with them. I guess I can understand using them or sharing them as a joke aspect, but there are people who use them heavily for forecasting. Those things will never be good...the algorithms don't even really incorporate the most important facets of snow forecasting lol

I understand why people use them....they are really easy to read. We have to remember that alot of people aren't mets or even well-skilled hobbyists. So it's easier than figuring it out from other maps like QPF or even just midlevels and synoptics.

I think clown maps can be ok at times...but you have to know that its going to be a pretty cookie cutter 10 to 1 storm and the QPF isn't going to be heavily influnced by banding, etc.

I don't mind if people post them...they are ok to post. Just know that you gotta take them with a grain of salt.

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It's arguably the best way to summarize a model run with one-snapshot.  On the margins you have to know what's up but you can get a pretty damn good idea of what amodel run just showed with a snow map.  Whether people hate it or not, it is the easiest one graphic that answers a lot of questions.

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Like last night, of course ratios were going to be high. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

It's arguably the best way to summarize a model run with one-snapshot.  On the margins you have to know what's up but you can get a pretty damn good idea of what amodel run just showed with a snow map.  Whether people hate it or not, it is the easiest one graphic that answers a lot of questions.

They are probably more useful for a ensemble product than an OP run...since at least the ensembles will smooth out all the garbage that affects clown maps.

But they still won't work in near-isothermal paste bombs.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I understand why people use them....they are really easy to read. We have to remember that alot of people aren't mets or even well-skilled hobbyists. So it's easier than figuring it out from other maps like QPF or even just midlevels and synoptics.

I think clown maps can be ok at times...but you have to know that its going to be a pretty cookie cutter 10 to 1 storm and the QPF isn't going to be heavily influnced by banding, etc.

I don't mind if people post them...they are ok to post. Just know that you gotta take them with a grain of salt.

Just now, powderfreak said:

I see both your points and they certainly make sense. Although I don't know if I necessary agree that it gives a pretty damn good idea of what a model run just showed. I also think they yield more questions than answers. I think at the end of the day they lead to reduced forecasting skill. 

I don't mind when they're posted on here either...but when they're tossed around social media and people get all hyped up and then complain that models were bad b/c the snow fall map busted...that drives me nuts

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

What a weenie GFS run, here comes the Wxniss storm

We really need the Euro to at least trend SE a bit. Like to see what the UK has considering the Euro usually follows suit in a way.

Although, as one other poster pointed out before, if the models can't nail down the location of Saturday's storm now, how are they going to get Monday's storm correct.

EPS trends will be important too this afternoon, although not do or die for reasons explained before