Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 24th-25th Heavy Rain & High Wind Obs

Rtd208

10 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

So far, it's been less windy here than other times this winter. Once the sun comes up and we get more mixing down it could be interesting. We'll see!

Theres been a few good gusts, probably a bit over 40mph, but nothing too substantial.  My recycle bin was knocked over but luckily I had a closed up box of stuff sitting on top that held most of it in place.  Haven't seen any trees down on the roads, just a lot of small debris and someone's tarp laying in the road.

Heard on the KYW traffic report that there was a power outage around Castor and Frankford Ave.  PECO reporting 4800 outages and map is showing a big outage in the area near Port Richmond in the city and in Cheltenham (around La Mott), plus scattered all around the Montco outskirts of NW Philly.   I think this is just getting started.  Hope power holds where I am.

https://www.peco.com/Outages/CheckOutageStatus/Pages/OutageMap.aspx

Temp here is 36.

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Police scanner and fire busy. Sounds like a 3 alarm a few blocks from my house here in Warminster. Lots of activity outside. Anyone in the area confirm? @Birds~69?

There was a 3 alarm fire near my shop last night but I think they got it out before the winds picked up.  Right by 29/turnpike onramp in Treddyferin township, it was a construction site for a large retirement home.

Currently stuck on side of road north of Reading, my coworker grabbed a truck with a messed up transmission.  Tow just got here but we need an uber or something else to get us all to the jobsite.  Never a dull moment, doesn't seem too windy here right now but a lot of low clouds zipping past.  

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Groundhog just poked his head up and almost got rolled by a trashcan. Pretty calm here overall. Periodic gust to 15-20 every 10 minutes or so.

Just saw one of ours late last week for the 1st time. He said two weeks till springtime. Had a couple of gusts here that reached the "whoa" category so far.

5 hours ago, RedSky said:

I don't get it there is no wind here still at 3am 

North in NYC and south they are clocking near 60mph 

Is this area the Twilight Zone?

Dude, you must have the same weather black cloud that hangs over me. Anomolous weather seems to skip over me. Even during Sandy, when it was hell on earth in many locations (90mph gust in Allentown) it was rather calm and benign in Tamaqua. So much so that while most of the region lost power and had major damage, our lights burned bright, and nary a tree branch fell...

It was unbelievable. It was like someone put a plexiglass dome over the borough.

7 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

My building is constantly creaking from the wind...lots of branches down in my yard as I left this morning. My anemometer measured a 48 mph gust as the highest so far. Overall one of the windier days this winter.

Windy days usually a sure bet spring is right around the corner. Learned way back when in meteo spring is the windiest time of the year.

40 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Dude, you must have the same weather black cloud that hangs over me. Anomolous weather seems to skip over me. Even during Sandy, when it was hell on earth in many locations (90mph gust in Allentown) it was rather calm and benign in Tamaqua. So much so that while most of the region lost power and had major damage, our lights burned bright, and nary a tree branch fell...

It was unbelievable. It was like someone put a plexiglass dome over the borough.

That's cause you are nestled in the hills up there.  I remember driving by there on the way to Niagara Falls and the area is really pretty (IMHO).

Some stations near me have reported 40+ mph gusts as a note.  The winds have really picked up here now.  Temp is a chilly 38.

ETA - At post time, KLOM reporting 18 mph sustained & 41 mph gusts - https://aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/index?submit=1&station_ids=KLOM&chk_metars=on&hoursStr=2&std_trans=translated&chk_tafs=on

KPHL has 33 mph sustained, 45 mph gusts - https://aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/index?submit=1&station_ids=KPHL&chk_metars=on&hoursStr=1&std_trans=translated&chk_tafs=on

KPNE has 26 mph sustained, 45 mph gusts - https://aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/index?submit=1&station_ids=KPNE&chk_metars=on&hoursStr=1&std_trans=translated&chk_tafs=on

20 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Power out winter of azz delivers as expected

What can go wrong has in fact gone wrong. This season has provided flooded cellars, power outages, busted pipes, now property damage....this "winter" seriously cant end fast enough. I'm guessing just before spring equinox I can expect an F4 to flatten my property. Or a March fluke 3 foot concrete snow pasting to cave in my roof.

• Like 2