• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Post pics of snow sticking to roads during the daytime in March

gymengineer

This is a simple thread.  Please just post pictures of March snows in our subforum that had no trouble sticking to the road during daylight hours. 

My three contributions below are all cellphone pics, so they're pretty crappy in quality. But the point is that I had zero difficulty finding pics in my phone of March daytime snows sticking to roads.

March 3, 2014

1029954436_marchsnow1.jpg.ce1298b982d57e68c719e2d45b8c8faf.jpg

March 5, 2015

274064019_marchsnow2.jpg.fc466319cb876b605b90037a06945d1a.jpg

March 21, 2018

444360929_marchsnow3.jpg.e0960f9440fe4c3016618fd7901c2a7f.jpg

• Like 3

Here's a collage of photos I took of various March snow events since I've lived here.  The first one (Mar. 2009) was when I lived in the Capitol Hill neighborhood in DC, all the others taken after I moved to the Silver Spring/Chevy Chase/Bethesda, MD area.  So it's not like I lived way north and west in some highly favored region outside the metro area or anything like that.  Also note the Mar. 1, 2015 event was ice and sleet, which occurred in broad daylight no less!  So much for the "we can't get ice in March" idea.  Note that two of these snows were as late as March 25, 2013 and 2014, when I recorded 4" and 3", respectively (also is my birthday, which made both events extra special for me!).  And the "St. Patrick's Day Snow" in 2014, I measured 8", quite impressive for that late in the season here.

163389227_MarchSnowCollage.thumb.jpg.85dc7d4be15d4348ff1c222ad7c40f31.jpg

• Like 8

Lol, people posting pictures at night. Yes, snow can and will stick to roads in March, but to act like there’s no difference due to sun angle is just plain silly. Anything remotely dark is sitting there absorbing radiation during the daylight hours at amuch higher rate than in Dec/Jan. Because of that you have to have good rates and/or cold temps to get/keep roads snow covered. You get light snow and 30 degrees in Jan and you will get/keep snow cover on hard surfaces, easy, even during daylight hours. March, not likely. So anybody saying that sun angle doesn’t matter isn’t being truthful. We all know it matters. It’s not prohibitive, but it matters.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Lol, people posting pictures at night. Yes, snow can and will stick to roads in March, but to act like there’s no difference due to sun angle is just plain silly. Anything remotely dark is sitting there absorbing radiation during the daylight hours at amuch higher rate than in Dec/Jan. Because of that you have to have good rates and/or cold temps to get/keep roads snow covered. You get light snow and 30 degrees in Jan and you will get/keep snow cover on hard surfaces, easy, even during daylight hours. March, not likely. So anybody saying that sun angle doesn’t matter isn’t being truthful. We all know it matters. It’s not prohibitive, but it matters.

Did anyone say any of that in this thread? Of course sun angle matters. Of course it takes more positive factors for snow to stick on roads in March. The point is that it’s not unusual or particularly difficult for snow to stick to roads during the daytime in March. It doesn’t even have to snow all that hard if it’s cold like on 3/2/14.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, gymengineer said:

Did anyone say any of that in this thread? Of course sun angle matters. Of course it takes more positive factors for snow to stick on roads in March. The point is that it’s not unusual or particularly difficult for snow to stick to roads during the daytime in March. It doesn’t even have to snow all that hard if it’s cold like on 3/2/14.

I know, right?!  Nobody is claiming the sun angle and increasing mean temperatures are non-factors as you get into March (even later in Feb.).  Or that you don't need good rates more so in March than in January.  But too many comments every year seem to poo-poo the ability to get really good events in March, as if it's exceedingly rare around here or requires overly extreme conditions.  I think part of that is because at least some people think snow in March sucks because typically it's gone in a relatively short time period.  Fair enough, if that's what one's preference is.  Personally, I don't care so much about that, though admittedly it is nice if we can keep snow around for awhile.  Heck, just last week it was in the 50s the very day after we all got several inches of snow (and some ice)...by the end of the day, you would have hardly believed we had a snowstorm a mere 24 hours before.  Most of the time, we don't hang on to snow cover all that long around here any time during the winter, really, unless we have unusually prolonged cold or we get some HECS event that lays down a ton of snow cover that takes awhile to melt away.

Also, precisely ONE of the NINE photos I posted was taken at night, and only because that event (Mar. 2017 snow/sleet) mostly occurred at night...though we kept a solid 3" block of sleet through the entirety of the next day and it was cold.  And NorthArlington posted just one nighttime photo.  All others I saw in this thread were taken at some point during the day, many of them mid-day.

• Like 1