Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,392
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    NegativeEPO
    Newest Member
    NegativeEPO
    Joined
snowman19

March, 2019

Recommended Posts

Just now, HeadInTheClouds said:

There only consensus is there is no consensus among the models. 

Story of this winter!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 inches over night . Def a surprise with nws forecast of under an inch finally an over performer (butler , northern morris county )

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If, and obviously a big if the fv3 is right and NYC can pick up 10" or so Sunday night and Monday NYC wouldn't be much below normal after all this complaining all winter lol. Euro looks like it came SE but I have horrible access... how did it look?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprise snow this morning. 1.5 inches.

We have had 2 snowy nights in a row in a nearly snowless winter...and it has warranted little discussion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Surprise snow this morning. 1.5 inches.

We have had 2 snowy nights in a row in a nearly snowless winter...and it has warranted little discussion.

 

Depends where you are. Barely a dusting in most of nyc yesterday and again so far this morning. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

Depends where you are. Barely a dusting in most of nyc yesterday and again so far this morning. 

Def more than a dusting in the UWS, been coming down nicely for a few hours now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, weathermedic said:

Depends where you are. Barely a dusting in most of nyc yesterday and again so far this morning. 

Barely anything here in sheepshead

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

Barely anything here in sheepshead

 

A dusting over here. Hope something else delivers before winter is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow 3 months with no snow and now back to back events 2 days in a row,,,,have about an inch maybe slightly more here. Sunday " IS STILL " looking good if not somewhat better as Euro went slightly South last night , I have not seen any model runs this morning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

2 inches over night . Def a surprise with nws forecast of under an inch finally an over performer (butler , northern morris county )

2.5 inches in Oak Ridge. I was pretty startled when I got up.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Barely anything here in sheepshead

Nearly an inch in northern Queens. Was a big difference between Bed-Stuy and LIC when I got off the G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next 8 days averaging 33degs., or 5degs. BN.

30.3*, lite snow here at 6am.

30.7*, lite snow here at 7am.---embedded 2-min. squall around 6:45am made it seem like the real thing.

30.9*, snow over with I think, here at 8am.

32.5* at 9am ---character of precip. changed for the final hour.    Another wasted effort in the books. 

36.5* at 10am.  That was fast.

Just 12hrs. from another garbage show.    Even the nighttime might not help us.

EURO is 3" for Sat., and 4" for Sun./Mon.   The model has been clueless all winter w/o the favorable TC's and probably has these incorporated (on purpose as favorable to see what might happen, I guess) in its engine output somehow and is not using pure fluid mechanics and physics.

The lobotomized GEFS is 8" Sun./Mon. and then 4" more a few days later.

With any blocking, real or psuedo, I am sure 15"-20"  is possible by Mar. 11.   Lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

Def more than a dusting in the UWS, been coming down nicely for a few hours now.

Yeah, solid inch here. Measurement taken at 6:30 and it's been snowing steadily since.

20190301_063906-756x1008.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 when all is said and done this looks like a 2 inch job for Westchester 

 

Schools are closed… Again!

 

I never saw so many snow days in a winter that was pretty snowless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

 when all is said and done this looks like a 2 inch job for Westchester 

 

Schools are closed… Again!

 

I never saw so many snow days in a winter that was pretty snowless

They closed in Hastings for this? I'm from Dobbs, and I know it's a very hilly area as I grew up at 350' elevation near the Juhring Estate...but a 2 hour delay would have sufficed here. 2" snowfall that's ending before schools open, and it's March so it will melt faster than a couple months ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only the 10th time that March is starting with measurable snowfall in NYC since 1950. All the previous years finished March with negative temperature departure or a small positive one. So this fits with the delayed start to spring theme which has been common during the 2010’s.

Years since 1950 with measurable snow on March 1st in NYC and monthly temperature departure.

2015....-4.4

2009...-0.1

2005...-3.0

1968...+0.8

1963...+1.2

1957...-0.6

1953...+0.9

1952...-2.3

1951..-1.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ericjcrash said:

If, and obviously a big if the fv3 is right and NYC can pick up 10" or so Sunday night and Monday NYC wouldn't be much below normal after all this complaining all winter lol. Euro looks like it came SE but I have horrible access... how did it look?

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/2019030100/new-jersey/significant-weather/20190304-0400z.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

 when all is said and done this looks like a 2 inch job for Westchester 

 

Schools are closed… Again!

 

I never saw so many snow days in a winter that was pretty snowless

Schools aren't closed in White Plains have just under 2 inches.  Think schools were closed only one day this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Only the 10th time that March is starting with measurable snowfall in NYC since 1950. All the previous years finished March with negative temperature departure or a small positive one. So this fits with the delayed start to spring theme which has been common during the 2010’s.

Years since 1950 with measurable snow on March 1st in NYC and monthly temperature departure.

2015....-4.4

2009...-0.1

2005...-3.0

1968...+0.8

1963...+1.2

1957...-0.6

1953...+0.9

1952...-2.3

1951..-1.0

2009 is the one most of us remember.  Snow on the last day of February and on the first day of March.  8 inches or so but double digit amounts on eastern Long Island.

2005 had a mini blizzard with about 4 inches of snow in 3 hours with high winds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

2009 is the one most of us remember.  Snow on the last day of February and on the first day of March.  8 inches or so but double digit amounts on eastern Long Island.

2005 had a mini blizzard with about 4 inches of snow in 3 hours with high winds.

Still no 70 degree days on the horizon for us this year like we got back in early March 2009. Be interesting to see how long we have to wait this year for our first 70 of meteorological spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Still no 70 degree days on the horizon for us this year like we got back in early March 2009. Be interesting to see how long we have to wait this year for our first 70 of meteorological spring.

How far out on the horizon are you looking for 70 degrees?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Still no 70 degree days on the horizon for us this year like we got back in early March 2009. Be interesting to see how long we have to wait this year for our first 70 of meteorological spring.

Other than the very notable lack of snow it has been a fairly cold winter though the cold has been in brief shots. Just think a weird set of connections didn’t favor us this year. Let’s see what April brings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nzucker said:

They closed in Hastings for this? I'm from Dobbs, and I know it's a very hilly area as I grew up at 350' elevation near the Juhring Estate...but a 2 hour delay would have sufficed here. 2" snowfall that's ending before schools open, and it's March so it will melt faster than a couple months ago. 

They probably have days to kill and it’s friday.

1” here in croton.  Broom worthy.  Hoping to need an actual shovel this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Still no 70 degree days on the horizon for us this year like we got back in early March 2009. Be interesting to see how long we have to wait this year for our first 70 of meteorological spring.

What do you think of the event possibility at the end of next week (March 7-9 or so)?  That could be the last snow event of this cold spell (and possibly the last of the season?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Other than the very notable lack of snow it has been a fairly cold winter though the cold has been in brief shots. Just think a weird set of connections didn’t favor us this year. Let’s see what April brings.

I dont think it was that weird, the winter wasn't all that cold, we had brief arctic shots, otherwise it was well above normal.  The cold this year was centered west of Chicago and thats why the west and upper midwest did so well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×