Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March, 2019

snowman19

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I just thought of something that may offer an explanation of why that may have happened.  We had a record breaking mild February and I was already starting to see mosquitoes and even ticks by then.  But then we had that very snowy and cold March and April.  That may have neutralized the "budding" bug population (although the pollen season was still really bad.)

I hadn't considered that but the theory does have potential. The bug season did start awfully strong with the winter warmth.  

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Strangely enough even with all of the rain and persistent humidity the bugs last year were less numerous than many similar years although some insects were significantly more of a problem. We had spider crickets that we've only had a few of before and the black flies were terrible in some spots. I know that hemispherically the flying insect count was way down and around here, at least most of the places I was, the mosquito population was a fraction of the year before.

Curious to know if you see an increase in spider crickets this summer up there. We had them here on the south shore and it went from basically never seeing them, to having them everywhere in just a few seasons. Everyone started buying the glue traps and you would catch like 20-30 of them a week in each trap. Then last year the population dropped way down again. As far as mosquitos they are terrible in my yard every year. And I have Asia tiger mosquitos. They are brutal and bite all day long. I had tried the propane trap but didn’t have much success. Last year I finally gave in and had the yard sprayed. That’s about the only thing that works. It had gotten to the point where I couldn’t even take the garbage to the curb without getting bit. 

Warmer and dry day on tap with low dew points and humidity. Temps fall again Monday night into Wednesday. Then a rebound warmer to close out March. Back and forth temperature battle between the lingering -EPO and flexing WAR/SE Ridge.

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       
10am Newark/Liberty PTSUNNY   45  10  24 W12       
11am Newark Liberty FAIR      49  11  21 W14    
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

This year so far is as far away as you can get to the historic Plains drought of 2011 to 2013. Epic fire hose Pacific Jet and historic flash flooding in the Plains. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DroughtCenter/status/1108737919471230977

The latest #Drought Monitor shows only 4.78 percent of the contiguous U.S. experiencing moderate drought conditions (D1-D4) or worse. That marks the second-lowest percent of the area to experience drought since the beginning of 2000. Explore the data here:

another dewpoint summer on the way. lock it in

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, tdp146 said:

Curious to know if you see an increase in spider crickets this summer up there. We had them here on the south shore and it went from basically never seeing them, to having them everywhere in just a few seasons. Everyone started buying the glue traps and you would catch like 20-30 of them a week in each trap. Then last year the population dropped way down again. As far as mosquitos they are terrible in my yard every year. And I have Asia tiger mosquitos. They are brutal and bite all day long. I had tried the propane trap but didn’t have much success. Last year I finally gave in and had the yard sprayed. That’s about the only thing that works. It had gotten to the point where I couldn’t even take the garbage to the curb without getting bit. 

I have seen 2 so far. I bet today's warmth kicks it in. I'll check some of the places that were really bad last year and update later.

35 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

I was a but surprised by today.

Wind and clouds not giving me the “warm” feel I expected. 

60F

Yeah that dry air will give that extra cool feel.  Dew points in the teens.

Earlier under full sunshine it did feel relatively mild..had to get out earlier before the increasing cloudiness

A springlike day prevailed across much of the region today. Select high temperatures included: Allentown: 61°; Atlantic City: 62°; Baltimore: 65°; Harrisburg: 62°; New York City: 60°; Newark: 62°; Philadelphia: 62°; and, Washington, DC: 66°. However, readings were locked into the 50s on much of Long Island and the south shore of Connecticut.

Cooler weather is likely over the next few days. However, temperatures could rebound sharply as the week nears an end. The rise in temperatures will occur just as baseball season is commencing. Fans in Boston, New York (Yankees and possibly the Mets, too), and Boston could have a lot to look forward to.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.70°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.00°C for the week centered around March 13. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.45°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.80°C. Similar ENSO conditions will likely persist through much of March.

The SOI was +4.74 today. With the SOI going positive, precipitation across the southern tier of the United States could grow less frequent in the medium-term.

Today's preliminary value of the Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.345. The AO has now been positive for 45 consecutive days. The last time the AO was positive for at least that long was during the April 13, 2018 through June 3, 2018 period when the AO was positive for 52 consecutive days. Historic probabilities favor the continuation of a predominantly positive AO through the remainder of March.

On March 23, the MJO moved into Phase 6 at an amplitude of 0.784 (RMM). The amplitude was higher than the March 22-adjusted figure of 0.579. The MJO could re-emerge at a high amplitude (amplitude of 1.000) or above in Phase 6 in the next day or two.

Even as the prospect of measurable snowfall has largely disappeared, Central Park could see a low temperature of 32° or below next week. That could be New York City's last freeze of winter 2018-19. There is some ensemble support for a measurable snowfall in portions of New England during the first ten days of April. However, the guidance at that timeframe has generally been poor this season.

17 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I hadn't considered that but the theory does have potential. The bug season did start awfully strong with the winter warmth.  

One thing we did see was a very high number of fireflies.  And they lasted well into the fall which doesn't usually happen.  I remember we had a thread here with people talking about seeing fireflies right through October, which was weird.  I wonder if that was connected to the thick foliage?  Lots of foliage growth last summer.

7 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

A springlike day prevailed across much of the region today. Select high temperatures included: Allentown: 61°; Atlantic City: 62°; Baltimore: 65°; Harrisburg: 62°; New York City: 60°; Newark: 62°; Philadelphia: 62°; and, Washington, DC: 66°. However, readings were locked into the 50s on much of Long Island and the south shore of Connecticut.

Cooler weather is likely over the next few days. However, temperatures could rebound sharply as the week nears an end. The rise in temperatures will occur just as baseball season is commencing. Fans in Boston, New York (Yankees and possibly the Mets, too), and Boston could have a lot to look forward to.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.70°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.00°C for the week centered around March 13. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.45°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.80°C. Similar ENSO conditions will likely persist through much of March.

The SOI was +4.74 today. With the SOI going positive, precipitation across the southern tier of the United States could grow less frequent in the medium-term.

Today's preliminary value of the Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.345. The AO has now been positive for 45 consecutive days. The last time the AO was positive for at least that long was during the April 13, 2018 through June 3, 2018 period when the AO was positive for 52 consecutive days. Historic probabilities favor the continuation of a predominantly positive AO through the remainder of March.

On March 23, the MJO moved into Phase 6 at an amplitude of 0.784 (RMM). The amplitude was higher than the March 22-adjusted figure of 0.579. The MJO could re-emerge at a high amplitude (amplitude of 1.000) or above in Phase 6 in the next day or two.

Even as the prospect of measurable snowfall has largely disappeared, Central Park could see a low temperature of 32° or below next week. That could be New York City's last freeze of winter 2018-19. There is some ensemble support for a measurable snowfall in portions of New England during the first ten days of April. However, the guidance at that timeframe has generally been poor this season.

Looks like next weekend may get the urban areas back into the 70s!

• Like 1

Back and forth temperature swings right into the start of April. Temperature drop next few days with warm up for the last few days of the month. Then another temperature drop to start April. The -EPO block near Alaska continues to duel with the WAR/SE Ridge.

ECAF65FD-9FDA-4F82-8EC7-9416EB761036.thumb.png.f0c6ac6f6ae328a31ef0daef1ab1af7a.png

6F237607-FE38-4DEA-976C-0D0EEB28D48A.thumb.png.8a904679136d13f6a2d5d5cd8668ec19.png

DF925189-AD0B-42DC-B573-C31D907D2A9D.thumb.png.4293d74777c4e473a283174c3ff3f2ef.png

23 hours ago, bluewave said:

This year so far is as far away as you can get to the historic Plains drought of 2011 to 2013. Epic fire hose Pacific Jet and historic flash flooding in the Plains. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DroughtCenter/status/1108737919471230977

The latest #Drought Monitor shows only 4.78 percent of the contiguous U.S. experiencing moderate drought conditions (D1-D4) or worse. That marks the second-lowest percent of the area to experience drought since the beginning of 2000. Explore the data here:

Chris how does it compare to 1993 when we also had a lot of flooding (centered further south, along the ring of fire, of the big high that pumped heat here all summer long.)

21 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Back and forth temperature swings right into the start of April. Temperature drop next few days with warm up for the last few days of the month. Then another temperature drop to start April. The -EPO block near Alaska continues to duel with the WAR/SE Ridge.

ECAF65FD-9FDA-4F82-8EC7-9416EB761036.thumb.png.f0c6ac6f6ae328a31ef0daef1ab1af7a.png

6F237607-FE38-4DEA-976C-0D0EEB28D48A.thumb.png.8a904679136d13f6a2d5d5cd8668ec19.png

DF925189-AD0B-42DC-B573-C31D907D2A9D.thumb.png.4293d74777c4e473a283174c3ff3f2ef.png

Yes, there's been talk of one final bout of snow at the start of April, but that will probably happen to our north.

29 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Chris how does it compare to 1993 when we also had a lot of flooding (centered further south, along the ring of fire, of the big high that pumped heat here all summer long.)

Much different set up from 1993. This round of historic flooding began in the cold season and was aided by rapid snow melt. 1993 was a warm season historic flooding event with almost continuous daily rainfall. 

2 hours ago, tek1972 said:

3666c1d3841e95d8fab444c59b4e05c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Good, I’m done. Bring on spring. Less then 10” at home for the winter. I bought my dad a snow blower for Christmas and it never got used. Anywhere south of the southern state on the island had an awful winter. My biggest storm was 3.5” in November. At work on the uws we had more the double the amount of snow. That in it of itself is incredible

About average here.  25 inches.   March (10 inches) and Nov (6 inches) storms saved us, but Met winter was a dud with about 5-7 inches of snow for the 3 months.  Horrid.      Forgettable winter in the face of what looked like consensus for a decent winter.   Used the snowblower once for the March 10 inch storm, but the rest had warm temps right after or a change to rain so I just let that melt or get washed away

2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

About average here.  25 inches.   March (10 inches) and Nov (6 inches) storms saved us, but Met winter was a dud with about 5-7 inches of snow for the 3 months.  Horrid.      Forgettable winter in the face of what looked like consensus for a decent winter.   Used the snowblower once for the March 10 inch storm, but the rest had warm temps right after or a change to rain so I just let that melt or get washed away

We've been due.

9 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

If the 18z GFS is right we are headed for some wet/active times beginning early next week. April could wind up being a very wet month.

the good news is that it's dry through 7 days.  After that it becomes fantasy land, so who knows if it's onto something....

-

through day 7

gfs_apcpn_neus_29.png