Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March, 2019

snowman19

44 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

2 inches over night . Def a surprise with nws forecast of under an inch finally an over performer (butler , northern morris county )

2.5 inches in Oak Ridge. I was pretty startled when I got up.

• Like 1

Next 8 days averaging 33degs., or 5degs. BN.

30.3*, lite snow here at 6am.

30.7*, lite snow here at 7am.---embedded 2-min. squall around 6:45am made it seem like the real thing.

30.9*, snow over with I think, here at 8am.

32.5* at 9am ---character of precip. changed for the final hour.    Another wasted effort in the books. 

36.5* at 10am.  That was fast.

Just 12hrs. from another garbage show.    Even the nighttime might not help us.

EURO is 3" for Sat., and 4" for Sun./Mon.   The model has been clueless all winter w/o the favorable TC's and probably has these incorporated (on purpose as favorable to see what might happen, I guess) in its engine output somehow and is not using pure fluid mechanics and physics.

The lobotomized GEFS is 8" Sun./Mon. and then 4" more a few days later.

With any blocking, real or psuedo, I am sure 15"-20"  is possible by Mar. 11.   Lol!

11 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

when all is said and done this looks like a 2 inch job for Westchester 

Schools are closed… Again!

I never saw so many snow days in a winter that was pretty snowless

They closed in Hastings for this? I'm from Dobbs, and I know it's a very hilly area as I grew up at 350' elevation near the Juhring Estate...but a 2 hour delay would have sufficed here. 2" snowfall that's ending before schools open, and it's March so it will melt faster than a couple months ago. 

Only the 10th time that March is starting with measurable snowfall in NYC since 1950. All the previous years finished March with negative temperature departure or a small positive one. So this fits with the delayed start to spring theme which has been common during the 2010’s.

Years since 1950 with measurable snow on March 1st in NYC and monthly temperature departure.

2015....-4.4

2009...-0.1

2005...-3.0

1968...+0.8

1963...+1.2

1957...-0.6

1953...+0.9

1952...-2.3

1951..-1.0

1 hour ago, Ericjcrash said:

If, and obviously a big if the fv3 is right and NYC can pick up 10" or so Sunday night and Monday NYC wouldn't be much below normal after all this complaining all winter lol. Euro looks like it came SE but I have horrible access... how did it look?

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/2019030100/new-jersey/significant-weather/20190304-0400z.html

33 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

when all is said and done this looks like a 2 inch job for Westchester 

Schools are closed… Again!

I never saw so many snow days in a winter that was pretty snowless

Schools aren't closed in White Plains have just under 2 inches.  Think schools were closed only one day this year.

25 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Only the 10th time that March is starting with measurable snowfall in NYC since 1950. All the previous years finished March with negative temperature departure or a small positive one. So this fits with the delayed start to spring theme which has been common during the 2010’s.

Years since 1950 with measurable snow on March 1st in NYC and monthly temperature departure.

2015....-4.4

2009...-0.1

2005...-3.0

1968...+0.8

1963...+1.2

1957...-0.6

1953...+0.9

1952...-2.3

1951..-1.0

2009 is the one most of us remember.  Snow on the last day of February and on the first day of March.  8 inches or so but double digit amounts on eastern Long Island.

2005 had a mini blizzard with about 4 inches of snow in 3 hours with high winds.

17 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

2009 is the one most of us remember.  Snow on the last day of February and on the first day of March.  8 inches or so but double digit amounts on eastern Long Island.

2005 had a mini blizzard with about 4 inches of snow in 3 hours with high winds.

Still no 70 degree days on the horizon for us this year like we got back in early March 2009. Be interesting to see how long we have to wait this year for our first 70 of meteorological spring.

15 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Still no 70 degree days on the horizon for us this year like we got back in early March 2009. Be interesting to see how long we have to wait this year for our first 70 of meteorological spring.

Other than the very notable lack of snow it has been a fairly cold winter though the cold has been in brief shots. Just think a weird set of connections didn’t favor us this year. Let’s see what April brings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nzucker said:

They closed in Hastings for this? I'm from Dobbs, and I know it's a very hilly area as I grew up at 350' elevation near the Juhring Estate...but a 2 hour delay would have sufficed here. 2" snowfall that's ending before schools open, and it's March so it will melt faster than a couple months ago. 

They probably have days to kill and it’s friday.

1” here in croton.  Broom worthy.  Hoping to need an actual shovel this weekend.

31 minutes ago, bluewave said:

What do you think of the event possibility at the end of next week (March 7-9 or so)?  That could be the last snow event of this cold spell (and possibly the last of the season?)

13 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Other than the very notable lack of snow it has been a fairly cold winter though the cold has been in brief shots. Just think a weird set of connections didn’t favor us this year. Let’s see what April brings.

I dont think it was that weird, the winter wasn't all that cold, we had brief arctic shots, otherwise it was well above normal.  The cold this year was centered west of Chicago and thats why the west and upper midwest did so well.