Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

12z NAM Says, “what snow?” 

You cant make this up. It’s literally gone.

Yeah, the low just phased earlier and earlier and runs out of steam by the time it gets here.  It's filling as it passes by us now which takes away all the fun and intense dynamics that we needed to bring a mini snow event in late April.   At least today came through with 4 straight hours of driving snow.  The truck had a little coating along with the pines and other elevated surfaces.  I think that scratched my final winter itch.  

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Unless you like temps in the 30’s-40’s with frequent rain and clouds almost every day, WNY/CNY weather is abysmal. Absolutely abysmal. 

We just had that same conversation today.  If we really want to play in the snow all winter, we should move 2-3hrs north/northeast where it sticks around most of the winter.  Go 2-3hrs south and you only have to deal with occasional snow yet you get consistent warmth much earlier.  Generally speaking, the climate around the 42nd parallel east of the Mississippi seems to be a middle ground where we don’t get consistent snowpack AND we don’t get spring/summer until +/- Memorial Day which is basically the same as those places a few hours north/northeast.  Hmmm.....I wonder what job opportunities look like in mid-VT....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

I’m weird but I love this climate. I love the seasonal changes. Muck in the Spring is the hardest. It would be nice to keep the snowpack longer like in the Adirondacks 

I'm with you for 10 months of the year.

Summer here, spectacular.

Fall is beautiful, doubt it could be better anywhere else.

Winter, I love the snow and snow sports.

But April and May, when everyone else is having spring and we're in cold mud season, sucks.  There's no way to put lipstick on pig of a day like yesterday.

20 minutes ago, cny rider said:

I'm with you for 10 months of the year.

Summer here, spectacular.

Fall is beautiful, doubt it could be better anywhere else.

Winter, I love the snow and snow sports.

But April and May, when everyone else is having spring and we're in cold mud season, sucks.  There's no way to put lipstick on pig of a day like yesterday.

I agree but I wish the winter season was more wintry.  Our property is white 90% of the winter, but having more than 6” of snow is probably only 10-20% of that time recently. Most of winter is white but not quite enough snow to ski, sled, snowmobile, snowshoe, etc.  Very frustrating.

I could deal with March 15 to May 15 much better if we didn’t have to deal with the same 35°-40° and rain/snow showers much of the previous 4 months.  

2 hours ago, winter_rules said:

I agree but I wish the winter season was more wintry.  Our property is white 90% of the winter, but having more than 6” of snow is probably only 10-20% of that time recently. Most of winter is white but not quite enough snow to ski, sled, snowmobile, snowshoe, etc.  Very frustrating.

I could deal with March 15 to May 15 much better if we didn’t have to deal with the same 35°-40° and rain/snow showers much of the previous 4 months.  

That is an issue. It’s why the snow belts are so attractive. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Cannot believe it's May tomorrow. Few more months until it starts getting colder again. 

This is some Eeyore stuff right here. Temp averages may start getting "colder" in three months, but it'll be over six months before average temps approach yesterday's actual temps. And if we're going to use "colder" for relative decline of mean temps, it has been getting "hotter" for three months now.

Spring arrives slow as molasses here even in an average year, mostly because of a huge reservoir of cool water upwind of WNY and the North Country. That same reservoir gives us relatively bountiful snow, which most of us here appreciate. And having spent most of my life in the southeast, where July and August (and often June and September) are so sultry that spending any length of time outside is physically exhausting as your body can literally not cool efficiently, I'll gladly take the incredible summers in the lee of the lakes in exchange for the garbage early to mid spring we have.

Does anywhere have perfect weather? Maybe places within a few miles of the Pacific Ocean around the 33rd parallel, where temps and humidity never reach a subtropical extreme. But even in San Diego, people miss having seasons. I personally like the weather in Northern California but I know people who hate to spend the summer wearing sweaters, then have to put on shorts in October for a few weeks. Mediterranean climate zones are pretty great but it can really bake in that sun, and most places with that climate have an ugly rainy season.

I'll take our grey, muddy, chilly spring if I can also have our winters and summers.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WNash said:

This is some Eeyore stuff right here. Temp averages may start getting "colder" in three months, but it'll be over six months before average temps approach yesterday's actual temps. And if we're going to use "colder" for relative decline of mean temps, it has been getting "hotter" for three months now.

Spring arrives slow as molasses here even in an average year, mostly because of a huge reservoir of cool water upwind of WNY and the North Country. That same reservoir gives us relatively bountiful snow, which most of us here appreciate. And having spent most of my life in the southeast, where July and August (and often June and September) are so sultry that spending any length of time outside is physically exhausting as your body can literally not cool efficiently, I'll gladly take the incredible summers in the lee of the lakes in exchange for the garbage early to mid spring we have.

Does anywhere have perfect weather? Maybe places within a few miles of the Pacific Ocean around the 33rd parallel, where temps and humidity never reach a subtropical extreme. But even in San Diego, people miss having seasons. I personally like the weather in Northern California but I know people who hate to spend the summer wearing sweaters, then have to put on shorts in October for a few weeks. Mediterranean climate zones are pretty great but it can really bake in that sun, and most places with that climate have an ugly rainy season.

I'll take our grey, muddy, chilly spring if I can also have our winters and summers.

Oh I completely agree. March 15-May 15th is just brutal around here though. Sun reaches its maximum June 21st and average high/low temps start to decline on July 23rd, but as you stated average temps have been rising since Jan. 28th. 

Some mistake May as a summer month but the average high/low for the entire month is 66/47. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Oh I completely agree. March 15-May 15th is just brutal around here though. Sun reaches its maximum June 21st and average high/low temps start to decline on July 23rd, but as you stated average temps have been rising since Jan. 28th. 

Some mistake May as a summer month but the average high/low for the entire month is 66/47. 

We don't seem to have truly warm weather for more than short stretches until the third week in May. And even then we get cool snaps until well into June. The lake makes seasons lag and shortens transitions. I don't feel like we really have genuine summer weather until around the solstice. That said, summer temps and sunshine have persisted through September in recent years, which has its pluses and minuses. I actually like the beginning of lake effect season, with the nighttime thunder and the waterspouts, but the recent run of hot early autumns have taken that away, and we just get more blue skies with little precipitation in September and October. I think that this might actually hurt early lake snow chances, because Lake Erie goes through very gradual cooldown as daily means temps decrease that lowers delta T's. We have a short window for epic lake effect snow off Lake Erie, so all the variables need to line up perfectly for us to have a huge early snow season.