• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Snowpack is completely gone here. Nothing but piles leftover in the parking lots. Amazing how much better retention you guys have over there even at lower elevations compared to WNY.

You don’t need to go too far south of here to find little snow outside of piles. Several factors have contributed to the retention of the snowpack here. First of all we have received over 2 feet of snow over the last couple of weeks including nearly 16 inches on 2/26. Also, the pack that was on the ground before the new snow over the last few weeks was a glacier, almost all ice. But the biggest reason to our snow retention is the relatively cooler temperatures here. While western NY and even downtown Syracuse were in the 60s to near 70 yesterday I stayed in the 40s most of the day. I woke up this morning with the temperature at 42. This is what my neighborhood looks like this morning. Some bare ground is beginning to show but snow cover is still about 95%. 

1E8AF39A-F685-449B-8A2A-BC4DCDDA3E22.thumb.jpeg.4552282ecffb9e43b7ab1066109008ed.jpeg

3 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Snowpack is completely gone here. Nothing but piles leftover in the parking lots. Amazing how much better retention you guys have over there even at lower elevations compared to WNY.

Yeah, we have some the worst snow retention in the NE. Have to get up to higher elevations to really get any. Even Chestnut ridge has snow for a few weeks longer than I do. 

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

This looks right on par for my area but not so much for the lake shore. 

sd1_today (2).jpg

I’m in that little patch of dark blue (4-6 inches) that extends into northern Onondaga county which is about right. Had a wind shift to southwest this morning that has pushed the temperature here into the upper 50s and dew points into the mid 40s which has sped up snow melt. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

We are all green in Rochester. Held on until yesterday. 

Sad to see it go. Next winter will be something boys. Big one coming. :lol:

21 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I got that feeling too. ;)

Don't forget the Bills will go to the Superbowl and the Sabres might make the playoffs!    ;)

• Haha 2