• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

I agree Delta, especially here in Rochester, we never really got to scratch that itch. 

Its interesting that some areas had a great winter- parts of Oswego County, BUF (due solely to two week period) and especially Toronto. Other areas have been really under water: south Lake Ontario from Niagara County to Syracuse and parts of the Tug. 

Kind of a weird winter. 

Before that two week period in BUF they were really in the gutter. 

I agree this was kind of a strange winter. We had some decent snow events and some really cold temperatures but the predominant storm track to our west brought too much rain and warm temperatures to make this anything but an average winter. I’m giving it a B- here only because we managed to build up a decent snowpack over the last 2 weeks. 

I'd agree on the B- grade for winter around Syracuse.  I'm at about normal snowfall levels and temps weren't exactly mild...although the frequent cutters were unfortunate. I was going to go C+ but the early start with a 16" dump a week before Thanksgiving, with record cold to follow, bumps it up a touch.

Two themes with some recent repeatability...1) early start with big Novembers (2 of past 3 winters IIRC) and, 2) mid Dec to early Jan lull.  The timing of the lull seems to be happening with some frequency over the past several years. Probably coincidence but the holidays are a crappy time for winter to go on hiatus.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

Big snowfall showing up on Canadian AND Euro ensemble. IDK. You guys keep saying we’re done while I’m over here with aviation ground control lights trying to land a jumbo jet. 

Its still March! 

haha, damn man, You're really holding out hope.  I think I'm taking the snowtires off this weekend, long range looks wet and mild for the most part.  Game Set Match.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

haha, damn man, You're really holding out hope.  I think I'm taking the snowtires off this weekend, long range looks wet and mild for the most part.  Game Set Match.  

Haha. I know. I’ve got this disease of ours bad. 26 years ago today the entire EC was slammed with a blizzard of biblical proportions. I doubt any of us will ever see a storm of that magnitude again in our lifetimes. 

I remember nearly falling down the stairs, in excitement, when the weather channel screen went all red and declared a blizzard warning for all of NYS. Up until the day before, the storm was expected to just clip the WNY region. 24 hrs out the models adjusted west and showed the LP tracking to near Poughkeepsie, a perfect track for our area. Syracuse got over 40” and Pittsford (where I lived) had 26” on the ground by the finish. A boarded measure would of surely placed me at or above 30”. 

6 years later, Rochester had a double storm that buried us with 42”in 3 days. But it still didn’t come close to the intensity and size of ‘The Storm of the Century’. 

Good times! I’ll have to post my pics someday. 

My folks have pics of the 78 storm. Folks in Rochester almost always confuse that with Buffalo’s storm of 77. 

• Like 1

My avatar is a satellite picture of that storm. Look at the size of the deformation zone and warm conveyor!  As you said, Syracuse was ground zero with a total of 42 inches of snow. The track was perfect, if that storm occurred this year it probably would have passed up through the Great Lakes, lol. What I remember about that storm was sitting at work with my radio on a couple of days before the storm and hearing the EAS activation. I grew up during the Cold War when the Emergency Broadcast System, as it was known then, was meant to alert us that we were being nuked so hearing the activation tones scared the crap out of me.  The other thing was this storm was the first where all the major numerical models at the time predicted a major storm along the east coast days in advance.  I lived in Little Falls in the Mohawk Valley at the time and we ended up with about 30 inches.  Unfortunately with it happening in mid March the snow didn’t last long. I’ve experienced a few 2 foot storms in my life but the only storm to compare with this one was probably the Blizzard of ‘66. 

36 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Haha. I know. I’ve got this disease of ours bad. 26 years ago today the entire EC was slammed with a blizzard of biblical proportions. I doubt any of us will ever see a storm of that magnitude again in our lifetimes. 

I remember nearly falling down the stairs, in excitement, when the weather channel screen went all red and declared a blizzard warning for all of NYS. Up until the day before, the storm was expected to just clip the WNY region. 24 hrs out the models adjusted west and showed the LP tracking to near Poughkeepsie, a perfect track for our area. Syracuse got over 40” and Pittsford (where I lived) had 26” on the ground by the finish. A boarded measure would of surely placed me at or above 30”. 

6 years later, Rochester had a double storm that buried us with 42”in 3 days. But it still didn’t come close to the intensity and size of ‘The Storm of the Century’. 

Good times! I’ll have to post my pics someday. 

My folks have pics of the 78 storm. Folks in Rochester almost always confuse that with Buffalo’s storm of 77. 

2 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

69 degrees and full sunshine. Well almost certainly hit 70 before the rain moves in. Can’t say it doesn’t feel absolutley fantastic. If it’s not gonna snow, might as well be this. Couldn’t ask for a more perfect day. 

Yeah, it feels fantastic to not wear a jacket to work every morning. Just beautiful out. Hoping the rain holds off a little bit, want to go for a walk when I get home. 

I’m sitting at 44 right now. Barely touched 50 briefly this afternoon. As I said a couple of days ago with the east wind coming off Oneida Lake it wouldn’t come near 60 here. With dew points near freezing the snowpack is only going down relatively slowly. This is a picture in my neighborhood from yesterday. I’ll take some tomorrow to show how much snow is left. 636A8358-8546-447F-B6F2-6C94C28E757E.thumb.jpeg.f9e530edea3262699cdfa654fcf11642.jpeg

• Like 2