• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Strictly for the WNW/NW portion of this event..

StormTotalSnowWeb.png

This would be awesome. The Monroe lake shore hasn’t seen any real LES storms this year. It’s gonna be close... Syracuse looks to be a lock. Nearly perfect set up for them. Rev Racer too. 

BTW, conditions at Bristol were ok. Still some ice out there. I’d like to get there earlier but since I work the B shift that’s gonna be tough. Lol

• Like 1

Band set up over me and is dumping. Hopefully it can stall out overnight.

Conclusions from our trip today:

Ithaca: wife liked it but I hated it. Way too suburban with an "all about me" vibe. Congestion. Yuck.

Cortland: We both really liked it. The downtown has a really neat "blast from the past" character. Big enough for all the amenities with beautiful countryside immediately outside of city.

Cazenovia and Hamilton: Nice towns with beautiful homes! All the homes in Hamilton have tiny plots for yards though. Colgate university there is beautiful and MUCH bigger than I had expected. Just from how it looks, I imagine it is an EXPENSIVE school.

Madison county also had a substantial amount of snow. Great thing is my wife is on board. Certainly not the Tug in terms of snow, but western Madison county averages about 125 inches.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Ithaca: wife liked it but I hated it. Way too suburban with an "all about me" vibe. Congestion. Yuck.

Cortland: We both really liked it. The downtown has a really neat "blast from the past" character. Big enough for all the amenities with beautiful countryside immediately outside of city.

Cazenovia and Hamilton: Nice towns with beautiful homes! All the homes in Hamilton have tiny plots for yards though. Colgate university there is beautiful and MUCH bigger than I had expected. Just from how it looks, I imagine it is an EXPENSIVE school.

Madison county also had a substantial amount of snow. Great thing is my wife is on board. Certainly not the Tug in terms of snow, but western Madison county averages about 125 inches.

You guys should just move over here. We have the most jobs out of anywhere in New York State aside from downstate. You would fall in love with the Boston Hills. It has a tug hill vibe but 25-30 min drive to downtown buffalo. You’d also be closer to your family in PA. They average 175-200” a year. 

• Like 2

Blitzed for about 30-40 minutes here. Picked up exactly 1" in that time frame. If only it could have lasted a few hours but oh well, better than nothing which is exactly what I expected. Congrats to those east of Lake Ontario who look like they are getting raked right now! Matt, I truly hope you find a job in any of the places you are looking for (hopefully the snowiest of the towns lol!). It would really stink to lose your contributions on this board and stinks you still haven't been able to be in a Great Lake effect event yet. I hope everything works out okay for you and your family. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You guys should just move over here. We have the most jobs out of anywhere in New York State aside from downstate. You would fall in love with the Boston Hills. It has a tug hill vibe but 25-30 min drive to downtown buffalo. You’d also be closer to your family in PA. They average 175-200” a year. 

I have been looking for some opportunities over your way too. Actually applied to something in Hamburg. A few other places were East Aurora, Eden, and Warsaw...and a few things down in the Cattar./Houghton area.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:I have been looking for some opportunities over your way too. Actually applied to something in Hamburg. A few other places were East Aurora, Eden, and Warsaw...and a few things down in the Cattar./Houghton area.

East aurora/Eden hills are a good spot for snow. Warsaw would be the best of the locations you mentioned In WNY. Don’t move to Hamburg our snow retention sucks here. Have to get farther east/southeast and get some elevation.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Blitzed for about 30-40 minutes here. Picked up exactly 1" in that time frame. If only it could have lasted a few hours but oh well, better than nothing which is exactly what I expected. Congrats to those east of Lake Ontario who look like they are getting raked right now! Matt, I truly hope you find a job in any of the places you are looking for (hopefully the snowiest of the towns lol!). It would really stink to lose your contributions on this board and stinks you still haven't been able to be in a Great Lake effect event yet. I hope everything works out okay for you and your family. 

Thanks for your kind words, bud. It has been a tough time...Had to run down to PA for another emergency with a family member who has some serious mental illness but won't admit it. Wife and I are ready for things to slow down.

Yeah, this has been quite disappointing on the Southern Tug. I think a good thing coming out of this next move is it is better for my wife. She has really been struggling here, and didn't share it with me until after the layoff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

East aurora/Eden hills are a good spot for snow. Warsaw would be the best of the locations you mentioned In WNY. Don’t move to Hamburg our snow retention sucks here. Have to get farther east/southeast and get some elevation.

Thanks for the advice. East Aurora seems to be quite close to the snow maximum area. I would really like to find something in the Springville area.

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Thanks for the advice. East Aurora seems to be quite close to the snow maximum area. I would really like to find something in the Springville area.

Springville is one of the best spots in wny. A co worker lives there and hates the snow. Her car always has snow on it every morning driving in. They are around 200” per year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Crazy!! March with the lake 93% frozen but look at this band cranking up! I’m in the core right now easily 2”/hr rates. Huge flakes just pouring down! Seeing some feeders extending out into lake maybe a surprise for the southtowns tonight???

0adeeeb3e377ea19781a0e237920a9f4.gif

1f1bc96236b9dd282c9194d4401124d0.jpg

Even with a almost completely frozen lake you can still get some good lake effect snow. Here is a study done about it 

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/2007MWR2310.1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Springville is one of the best spots in wny. A co worker lives there and hates the snow. Her car always has snow on it every morning driving in. They are around 200” per year. 

Springville does really well.  My friend had a house in West Falls which is close to East Aurora and would get a ton of snow as well. 

• Like 2

Lol...2019 Southern Tug Lake effect snow shield lives on. Picked up the usual 4 inches and the westerly flow is so weak that everything is dying out before it makes it here. Still trying to figure out what flipping parameters actually produce a great event here...

If I move to WNY, blame your poor LESs on me. Sucked when I moved to West Michigan and have sucked here on the Tug.

• Haha 2

Hamilton and Caz are really nice towns that get their fair share of snow, whether it be upslope enhancement during LES or just synoptic snow! Might be a bit more expensive housing/land due to the private (and pricey) universities, but they are worth it.

• Thanks 1