• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    crossbowftw3
    Newest Member
    crossbowftw3

The March Long Range Discussion Thread, Winter's Last Stand

14 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Wanna know why Bob and some others keep leaving the forum? Because of precisely the kind of thing you're doing right now. We get it...winter overall didn't pan out. I hear you...but don't go railing on other posters and repeating it over and over again. Take some time to consider how your posts may affect others (I know I certainly have this winter).

Happens in every forum, and unfortunately i don't think they realize how juvenile it makes them look. 

This isn't a therapy board its a weather board...good or bad.  I really like coming "down" here, but all of the debbies in here, really muck up a good group, and why i backed away w while ago.  Bob, Mitch, usedtobe, HM, .....i can go on and on.  I'm sure some left for other reasons, but imagine most "left" cause of all the BS clutter crybaby crap.  Unfortunately those that are guilty, are probably giddy at all of the attention, instead of realizing they are being asshats. 

By and large I'm done for the winter, and look forward to the break, but look forward to being back next year.  i hope some come back next winter with better attitudes.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Someone should start a thread for the Sunday night/Monday am snow tv threat. It could over perform and dump a huge light coating on NE MD.

Don’t tempt me...my last one was a rousing success....:ph34r:

11 hours ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Nobody offends me, I’m not a snowflake. I tell it like it is. There people in here that overexaggerate everything and losetoa6 is one of them. 

I am going to be direct since you "aren't a snowflake"... you aren't telling it like it is, you are being an ass.  You are trying to stop others from discussing something because you don't want to discuss it.  It's not our fault that you live in a snow anus.  Losetoa6 isn't exaggerating anything.  That UKMET run he posted was a good look.  There was still some guidance yesterday that was close enough at h5 that saying "I will still track this" wasn't crazy.  He didn't predict a storm.  He just said he is still keeping an eye on it.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  If you don't want too...fine.  But trying to tell others not to talk about it just because you are done with winter is childish.  If you don't want to talk about it fine then done, but leave everyone else alone.  There was absolutely no legitimate reason for your subtle jab at him or anyone else.  

Furthermore, he lives somewhere that gets a LOT more snow than you.  So many of the times he talks about a storm that you consider a fail because it was all rain for you...he did get snow.  Should he not talk about things because its rain for you.  Again it is not his fault you live in the snow anus of central Maryland.  And besides, CAPE has had a worse year than you and he isn't telling everyone to stop talking about anything.  

You can tell me to F off...free speech and all...and you have every right to feel however you want... just letting you know that you are being an ass right now.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Icefishingrocks said:

I long for the day when I don't have to wipe the mud off the paws of my chocolate lab before he comes inside.  I could go for a couple weeks of no precip of any kind.

yeah, I didnt miss that one bit.  Cleaning floors daily sucks.

I always thought calling someone a snowflake while doing the exact thing you are calling someone a snowflake for was quite humorous. I get the feeling he may be pretty sensitive in reality and probably turns his head during SPCA commercials.  It's ok to be soft bro...embrace it.

50 minutes ago, Icefishingrocks said:

I long for the day when I don't have to wipe the mud off the paws of my chocolate lab before he comes inside.  I could go for a couple weeks of no precip of any kind.

It's a chocolate lab...how can you tell?

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Going this summer.  Cant wait.  1 glorious July week at Rangley Lake.  Will be visiting Mt Washington on the way there too.  Relief from the summer swelter.  

Planning a trip to northern NE this summer as well. Would like to hike Mt. Washington but that can be problematic even during high summer, I've read. Would also like to get to Baxter State Park and do Katahdin and then mix in Acadia, but I don't want to be pushing myself and trying to take in too much in the time I've got. Would love to go to Lake Champlain as well but that would definitely involve a lot of back and forthing.    

<<  I am going to be direct since you "aren't a snowflake"... you aren't telling it like it is, you are being an ass. >>

Well  @psuhoffman     Gangster RAP made him act like that ......crap snow  totals make you loose your sanity , and add in some Gangsta rap, well  you know the deal. 

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I am going to be direct since you "aren't a snowflake"... you aren't telling it like it is, you are being an ass. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Planning a trip to northern NE this summer as well. Would like to hike Mt. Washington but that can be problematic even during high summer, I've read. Would also like to get to Baxter State Park and do Katahdin and then mix in Acadia, but I don't want to be pushing myself and trying to take in too much in the time I've got. Would love to go to Lake Champlain as well but that would definitely involve a lot of back and forthing.    

Since we have young kids, we'll be driving up to Mt. Washington summit.  Would love to be able to hike it!  It's a big state, so much to see.  Initially, we were going to go to Acadia, but the lure of the mountains was too much.  Enjoy that trip!

1 hour ago, 09-10 analogy said:

As EastCoast says, Northern New England is a big area with lots to see and you can't really see all these places without a very long trip. Driving times in Maine especially tend to be longer than would appear on a map. Best plan is to focus on a couple of attractions in a given area, Acadia/Baxter can probably be combined, or Rangeley/White Mountains. If you're driving all the way up, Baxter and Acadia are considerably farther start with. Rangeley is one of the best places to spend extended time if you're looking for consistently cooler weather. Although, there can be anomalous warm spells, the 1500 ft elevation of the lakes has more of an effect on the climate than you might expect. An hour away and 1200 feet lower it's not unusual to be 10 degrees warmer. The coast north of Brunswick also tends to be reliably cool even when inland is hot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

This would be the ultimate fringe to end the season lol

lol.png.499947d0dd6cc9bfb5c2635ed51cba3b.png

Well, that definitely would put me over 50" for the year and increase my 'winter score' by a solid letter grade........looks eerily like December 9/10 though.

28 minutes ago, uncletim said:

As EastCoast says, Northern New England is a big area with lots to see and you can't really see all these places without a very long trip. Driving times in Maine especially tend to be longer than would appear on a map. Best plan is to focus on a couple of attractions in a given area, Acadia/Baxter can probably be combined, or Rangeley/White Mountains. If you're driving all the way up, Baxter and Acadia are considerably farther start with. Rangeley is one of the best places to spend extended time if you're looking for consistently cooler weather. Although, there can be anomalous warm spells, the 1500 ft elevation of the lakes has more of an effect on the climate than you might expect. An hour away and 1200 feet lower it's not unusual to be 10 degrees warmer. The coast north of Brunswick also tends to be reliably cool even when inland is hot.

Having spent years traversing from Lake Champlain to Acadia I agree with this. DON'T try to 'do it all' in one trip, it will leave you both exhausted and disappointed. That said, definitely go up Mt Washington, it is a completely different world up there. One of my favorite memories was the time it was in the mid 70's down in North Conway area, up on top at the observation deck that afternoon it was 40/41 with a 30 mph breeze blowing lol. They had recorded a T of snow there the day before if I remember correctly and it was early August.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Since we have young kids, we'll be driving up to Mt. Washington summit.  Would love to be able to hike it!  It's a big state, so much to see.  Initially, we were going to go to Acadia, but the lure of the mountains was too much.  Enjoy that trip!

As part of my snow chase this winter, I took a Mt. Washington snow coach https://www.greatglentrails.com/snowcoach-2 to ~4300 feet and snowshoed down -- in a snow storm! On the way down, saw guys from Campbell Scientific testing instruments they hope to install on Mt. Everest.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0RoVoV-dq8xgKuJp_HisVdpkA

I also parked on the edge of the road near the Appalachian Mountain club (just south of Mt. Washington) and snowshoed down to a Glen Ellis falls overlook.  At the AMC, I saw several rugged looking men and women sporting snow picks who were returning from the summit.  

Other activities for the week included

a moonlight snow shoe hike 

XC skiing at Jackson, MVC, Omni Mountain Washington Resort, and Bear Notch.

Horse drawn sleigh rides at Nestlenook Farm and the Ice Castles. https://icecastles.com

I encourage everyone to plan a winter trip to northern New England or the west  next year.  Tracking Mt. Washington's weather is much more enjoyable than tracking the weather here.  

It snowed on 2 of the 5 days I was there, and we only got stuck once. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I LOVE the FV3.... I will be able to do this until memorial day!!!

our march hecs keeps getting pushed back

21 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I LOVE the FV3.... I will be able to do this until memorial day!!!

You know, there are some of us on here with seasonal affective issues (or live with people who do), and your trolling of one person is kinda a real bummer to others for serious reasons. Just saying. For those that kinda need normal spring warmth and light, a snow at all costs chase really does kinda suck. Respectfully.

• Haha 1