Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March Long Range Discussion Thread, Winter's Last Stand

stormtracker

1 hour ago, ravensrule said:

You have become very picky in your old age. 

Lol... just want one big storm each year. And I don’t mean hecs big. ~8”+ is my threshold.  That’s a 90% thing up here.  I am weird in what I want but not picky. I was totally happy last year after the one big March storm. Same in 2017. And most hated those years. But I’m not a nickel and dime fan. Plus I’ve had plenty of 2-4” snows this year. Might as well go big now. 

• Like 2

I don't believe College Park has reached the 1" threshold yet during the current period unless you assume a 10:1 snow/precip ratio for last night's snow/sleet. 

Last update for the current time period: 

Percent of EPS members giving College Park > 1, 3, 6, and 12" through 7 PM March 6th

... and now those of us an hours drive or more south of the MD/PA border shift most of our focus to March 8th and the 10/11th. 

Slide1.jpeg.ec31e8370cb5158d4a044e1b854fdf16.jpeg

• Like 1

All of a sudden the turn to warmer later in March may be in trouble.

Several indications reveal it might stay cold and there may indeed be more threats to deal with. Not sure if it is related to the recent -SOI drop or not, but the MJO may not advance to the warmer phases along with what appears to be the potential of a -AO developing.   

Granted any snow is going to require some pretty incredible cold air mass for this time of year, beyond what is forecasted next week.   

2 hours ago, frd said:

All of a sudden the turn to warmer later in March may be in trouble.

Several indications reveal it might stay cold and there may indeed be more threats to deal with. Not sure if it is related to the recent -SOI drop or not, but the MJO may not advance to the warmer phases along with what appears to be the potential of a -AO developing.   

Granted any snow is going to require some pretty incredible cold air mass for this time of year, beyond what is forecasted next week.   

As we have said before the SOI and MJO are linked and related.  Its not 1:1 but when the SOI is negative it tends to favor either a muted MJO or the cold phases.  So one of the typical positive impacts of nino would be to mute the negative impacts of possible warm phase MJO waves.  That failed big time this year, but recent research indicates that isn't all that uncommon in weak nino's.  Live and learn. The problem with strong east based nino's isn't typically the mjo but that the warmth from the eastern Pacific just overwhelms the pattern and even with a good storm track its just typically not cold enough to snow very often.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

As we have said before the SOI and MJO are linked and related.  Its not 1:1 but when the SOI is negative it tends to favor either a muted MJO or the cold phases.  So one of the typical positive impacts of nino would be to mute the negative impacts of possible warm phase MJO waves.  That failed big time this year, but recent research indicates that isn't all that uncommon in weak nino's.  Live and learn. The problem with strong east based nino's isn't typically the mjo but that the warmth from the eastern Pacific just overwhelms the pattern and even with a good storm track its just typically not cold enough to snow very often.  

Makes you wonder had we had this long -SOI period and a more Nino-like December, ie., more warmth in the center Pac , less East, what would have  Jan and Feb. been like.  

I know even HM posts that certain parts of the country are Nino-like , but without becoming highly technical, because honestly I am not sure even where to begin, but we have not gotten the things we were hoping for like more snow. ( and a -AO averaged winter ) less WAR, etc.

12 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah guys, we don't get nearly as much. :huh:  Our winters are so good that a foot isn't much apparently.  Who would complain with this?

Not fair.  Places that average much more snow than us getting more snow than us from this storm?  What is the world coming to?

2 minutes ago, Amped said:

VESfSqY.png

32" in 24 hrs for the SW ct coast where I grew up. 

I see your point...and sure, up around NYC the CMC dumps a ton on them.  Certainly more than here of course.  But I thought you stated things in a bit of a misleading fashion.  Your initial statement that "we get some snow but not nearly as much" with no other information made it sound like we get very little.  And then the map you post shows the 24-h period ending at 12Z 3/10 when areas northeast of us are getting hammered while apparently showing relatively little here.  However, we get around a foot in the 24 hours ending 12 hours before that (ending 00Z 3/10, according to the map Stormtracker posted).  I'd hardly call what we get "some snow", just taking the model verbatim.

But I guess in the end it's worthless to parse a single model run of the CMC for an event that's over a week out, LOL!  Fun to look at though and I like the potential.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic