Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The March Long Range Discussion Thread, Winter's Last Stand

stormtracker

32 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

A massive paste job that would put a hurtin for certain on the toy.

Yeah but think of the stories we would tell...just when we thought we were out winter pulls us back in..or is it Lucy or Ron Paul..the aleet heard round the world.  I am getting way to into this idea.  Rain and 43 is my official early call on day 8

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

Yeah but think of the stories we would tell...just when we thought we were out winter pulls us back in..or is it Lucy or Ron Paul..the aleet heard round the world.  I am getting way to into this idea.  Rain and 43 is my official early call on day 8

You reversed your numbers, didn't you? I am sure you meant rain and 34

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

A perfect upper low pass bomb system with no cold followed by a storm suppressed south by an arctic high the last week of March would be the perfect way for THIS winter to end. 

Lol. I'm actually starting to think we really have a shot at next week. I know I'm crazy haha.

20 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Who says you need a perfect pattern in late March to see significant snow in the Mid Atlantic? -PNA / +NAO / +AO / WAR / no 50-50

I'm not convinced this setup would work out but apparently several models believe it is workable:

fv3p_z500a_namer_36.png

We’re still a snow town! :lol:

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Who says you need a perfect pattern in late March to see significant snow in the Mid Atlantic? -PNA / +NAO / +AO / WAR / no 50-50

I'm not convinced this setup would work out but apparently several models believe it is workable:

fv3p_z500a_namer_36.png

First of all there is a nice PNA ridge the few days leading into that threat.  The fact that the PNA shifts too far east is why the storm is a miss to our southeast on most guidance right now.   But there is some truth that in March you need less of the pattern drivers to be aligned to luck your way into an amplified system tracking south of us.  Problem is (as we are about to see this week) the problem is often having enough cold this late.  But between the short wavelengths, the propensity for cutoff lows, and the increased baroclinicity this time of year.... we don't need as many things to line up perfect to get a storm.  But that doesn't mean it will be snow, usually it just helps us get a 40 degree rainstorm.   For a long time by March 10th on it was so warm most years that we didn't even notice the track of systems as there was absolutely no chance at all of frozen anywhere near us.  Lately we have had a colder regime in March and so some are paying more attention.   The number one thing to get snow the second half of March is cold.  Seems we have found numerous ways to snow late season when there was enough cold around to get it done.  

2 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Lol. I'm actually starting to think we really have a shot at next week. I know I'm crazy haha.

I was kidding...kinda.  There is potential.  Plenty of hits in the EPS.   BUT... the people assuming it won't be suppressed just because its so late in the season are kidding themselves.  A storm can be suppressed any time of year....we just don't care in June because its rain no matter what the track is.  But its not "cold" that suppresses a storm its the upper level flow.  Now those 2 are often associated with one another but its not a 1;1 thing.  We saw that threat in April get suppressed last year... did people forget that already?   So I am not saying this will get squashed south... its way too early to say that, look what happened this week and how that looked a few days ago...but I am also not assuming it will trend north just because of the time of year...and the trend this year has been to mostly tease with big setups and then provide mediocre results.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

First of all there is a nice PNA ridge the few days leading into that threat.  The fact that the PNA shifts too far east is why the storm is a miss to our southeast on most guidance right now.   But there is some truth that in March you need less of the pattern drivers to be aligned to luck your way into an amplified system tracking south of us.  Problem is (as we are about to see this week) the problem is often having enough cold this late.  But between the short wavelengths, the propensity for cutoff lows, and the increased baroclinicity this time of year.... we don't need as many things to line up perfect to get a storm.  But that doesn't mean it will be snow, usually it just helps us get a 40 degree rainstorm.   For a long time by March 10th on it was so warm most years that we didn't even notice the track of systems as there was absolutely no chance at all of frozen anywhere near us.  Lately we have had a colder regime in March and so some are paying more attention.   The number one thing to get snow the second half of March is cold.  Seems we have found numerous ways to snow late season when there was enough cold around to get it done.  

I guess that EPO ridge might be our helper to get the cold then. If that's what we need as one of the key ingredients that can be workable as we've seen numerous times in recent years the EPO ridging work to supply cold air source. 

The fact we are still tracking and it's the 2nd half of March is astonishing. The fact we seem to be repeating this March potential thing for several consecutive years is mind boggling to me. I remember when it was rare to even have anything to track this late. Now it seems commonplace tho I assume this is just some sort of decadal anomaly that we are seeing.

3 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

What a nice look by the EPS for next week . Good Mslp local along with a ample banana high structure. I'm betting we see some wicked op solutions the next few days .

Screenshot_20190319-063536_Chrome_crop_540x766.jpg

Every time I want to throw in the towel. That almost looks like January 2016.