Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The March Long Range Discussion Thread, Winter's Last Stand

stormtracker

1 hour ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Planning a trip to northern NE this summer as well. Would like to hike Mt. Washington but that can be problematic even during high summer, I've read. Would also like to get to Baxter State Park and do Katahdin and then mix in Acadia, but I don't want to be pushing myself and trying to take in too much in the time I've got. Would love to go to Lake Champlain as well but that would definitely involve a lot of back and forthing.    

As EastCoast says, Northern New England is a big area with lots to see and you can't really see all these places without a very long trip. Driving times in Maine especially tend to be longer than would appear on a map. Best plan is to focus on a couple of attractions in a given area, Acadia/Baxter can probably be combined, or Rangeley/White Mountains. If you're driving all the way up, Baxter and Acadia are considerably farther start with. Rangeley is one of the best places to spend extended time if you're looking for consistently cooler weather. Although, there can be anomalous warm spells, the 1500 ft elevation of the lakes has more of an effect on the climate than you might expect. An hour away and 1200 feet lower it's not unusual to be 10 degrees warmer. The coast north of Brunswick also tends to be reliably cool even when inland is hot.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, uncletim said:

As EastCoast says, Northern New England is a big area with lots to see and you can't really see all these places without a very long trip. Driving times in Maine especially tend to be longer than would appear on a map. Best plan is to focus on a couple of attractions in a given area, Acadia/Baxter can probably be combined, or Rangeley/White Mountains. If you're driving all the way up, Baxter and Acadia are considerably farther start with. Rangeley is one of the best places to spend extended time if you're looking for consistently cooler weather. Although, there can be anomalous warm spells, the 1500 ft elevation of the lakes has more of an effect on the climate than you might expect. An hour away and 1200 feet lower it's not unusual to be 10 degrees warmer. The coast north of Brunswick also tends to be reliably cool even when inland is hot.

Having spent years traversing from Lake Champlain to Acadia I agree with this. DON'T try to 'do it all' in one trip, it will leave you both exhausted and disappointed. That said, definitely go up Mt Washington, it is a completely different world up there. One of my favorite memories was the time it was in the mid 70's down in North Conway area, up on top at the observation deck that afternoon it was 40/41 with a 30 mph breeze blowing lol. They had recorded a T of snow there the day before if I remember correctly and it was early August.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Since we have young kids, we'll be driving up to Mt. Washington summit.  Would love to be able to hike it!  It's a big state, so much to see.  Initially, we were going to go to Acadia, but the lure of the mountains was too much.  Enjoy that trip!

As part of my snow chase this winter, I took a Mt. Washington snow coach https://www.greatglentrails.com/snowcoach-2 to ~4300 feet and snowshoed down -- in a snow storm! On the way down, saw guys from Campbell Scientific testing instruments they hope to install on Mt. Everest.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0RoVoV-dq8xgKuJp_HisVdpkA

I also parked on the edge of the road near the Appalachian Mountain club (just south of Mt. Washington) and snowshoed down to a Glen Ellis falls overlook.  At the AMC, I saw several rugged looking men and women sporting snow picks who were returning from the summit.  

Other activities for the week included

a moonlight snow shoe hike 

XC skiing at Jackson, MVC, Omni Mountain Washington Resort, and Bear Notch.

Horse drawn sleigh rides at Nestlenook Farm and the Ice Castles. https://icecastles.com

I encourage everyone to plan a winter trip to northern New England or the west  next year.  Tracking Mt. Washington's weather is much more enjoyable than tracking the weather here.  

It snowed on 2 of the 5 days I was there, and we only got stuck once. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I LOVE the FV3.... I will be able to do this until memorial day!!!

You know, there are some of us on here with seasonal affective issues (or live with people who do), and your trolling of one person is kinda a real bummer to others for serious reasons. Just saying. For those that kinda need normal spring warmth and light, a snow at all costs chase really does kinda suck. Respectfully.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

You know, there are some of us on here with seasonal affective issues (or live with people who do), and your trolling of one person is kinda a real bummer to others for serious reasons. Just saying. For those that kinda need normal spring warmth and light, a snow at all costs chase really does kinda suck. Respectfully.

Not diminishing this - but I'm a person who struggles with that some years and sun lamps work fine to alleviate for many. Also - the days will get longer regardless of snow chances. As far as I know the science behind seasonal affective disorder is mainly for the SUN aspect. Nothing to do with snow/cold. 

Astronomy doesn't care that there are still snow chances - the days get longer no matter what. Unfortunately I think we've grown into a world where not only is social media "poisoning" people - but people get offended really easily. Not saying this is directed at you...but if we continue on this type of path - we're going to be walking on egg shells for eternity 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Not diminishing this - but I'm a person who struggles with that some years and sun lamps work fine to alleviate for many. Also - the days will get longer regardless of snow chances. As far as I know the science behind seasonal affective disorder is mainly for the SUN aspect. Nothing to do with snow/cold. 

Astronomy doesn't care that there are still snow chances - the days get longer no matter what. Unfortunately I think we've grown into a world where not only is social media "poisoning" people - but people get offended really easily. Not saying this is directed at you...but if we continue on this type of path - we're going to be walking on egg shells for eternity 

I hear you, but there is SUCH a bias on this board by snow zealots that even mentioning kinda liking seasonal warmth tends to be shouted down or made fun of.  In any event, the cold IS an issue with my wife - as much or more so than the sun, and I can tell you that days like yesterday and today help.  I know no one here controls the weather, but begging for crazy snow events and anomalous cold into late March and April is like nails on a chalkboard to some for personal reasons.

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

I hear you, but there is SUCH a bias on this board by snow zealots that even mentioning kinda liking seasonal warmth tends to be shouted down or made fun of.  In any event, the cold IS an issue with my wife - as much or more so than the sun, and I can tell you that days like yesterday and today help.  I know no one here controls the weather, but begging for crazy snow events and anomalous cold into late March and April is like nails on a chalkboard to some for personal reasons.

Totally understand - and mods I apologize for derailing the thread a bit. 

Using this logic I could also say it's a bit insensitive to hope for warmth because I suffer from horrible allergies. I like warm weather - but everyone has their likes/dislikes. Of course we like snow - honestly that is the biggest reason EUSWX and AmWx were created - snow tracking. 

Most people on here will track exciting weather - whether it's wind, storms, hurricanes or snow. But it's still astronomical winter for a few days. Let the snow weenies chase snow. I'm still keeping on eye open for flakes. 

None of it is intended to "wrong" you or "bully" you. 

4 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Totally understand - and mods I apologize for derailing the thread a bit. 

Using this logic I could also say it's a bit insensitive to hope for warmth because I suffer from horrible allergies. I like warm weather - but everyone has their likes/dislikes. Of course we like snow - honestly that is the biggest reason EUSWX and AmWx were created - snow tracking. 

Most people on here will track exciting weather - whether it's wind, storms, hurricanes or snow. But it's still astronomical winter for a few days. Let the snow weenies chase snow. I'm still keeping on eye open for flakes. 

None of it is intended to "wrong" you or "bully" you. 

Well, if someone was on here wishing for crazy warmth into December and January, I would say that is insensitive. We live in a place with four seasons - and each season has its own awesome things about it.  So, hoping for spring warmth in spring makes sense to me, as does hoping and wanting winter cold in winter.  The warmth a few Decembers ago was absolutely horrible from my view - and if someone were on here celebrating, trolling with maps showing it extending into January and celebrating, that would also REALLY suck.  Just saying.

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Well, if someone was on here wishing for crazy warmth into December and January, I would say that is insensitive. We live in a place with four seasons - and each season has its own awesome things about it.  So, hoping for spring warmth in spring makes sense to me, as does hoping and wanting winter cold in winter.  The warmth a few Decembers ago was absolutely horrible from my view - and if someone were on here celebrating, trolling with maps showing it extending into January and celebrating, that would also REALLY suck.  Just saying.

Gotcha. Honestly - it's weather enthusiasts being weather enthusiasts. I don't think you can fault people for tracking what they love. But that's just me. I don't know your wife and am sorry she suffers from SAD. But I'm going to track weather regardless of whether it's convenient for others. I don't feel as though that's insensitive. Just my two cents though. We are cool - I get what you are saying. I'm just not sure a weather forum should cease tracking weather just because it doesn't match the season. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Gotcha. Honestly - it's weather enthusiasts being weather enthusiasts. I don't think you can fault people for tracking what they love. But that's just me. I don't know your wife and am sorry she suffers from SAD. But I'm going to track weather regardless of whether it's convenient for others. I don't feel as though that's insensitive. Just my two cents though. We are cool - I get what you are saying. I'm just not sure a weather forum should cease tracking weather just because it doesn't match the season. 

It's cool, you and other obviously can and should track interesting weather - but PSU was trolling, and while it was understandably aimed at the Dundalk snow anus, there's others on here too, was all I was saying.

3 hours ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Planning a trip to northern NE this summer as well. Would like to hike Mt. Washington but that can be problematic even during high summer, I've read. Would also like to get to Baxter State Park and do Katahdin and then mix in Acadia, but I don't want to be pushing myself and trying to take in too much in the time I've got. Would love to go to Lake Champlain as well but that would definitely involve a lot of back and forthing.    

You could try climbing Mt. Jefferson and then take the Appalachian trail over to Mt. Washington. Easier than the climb up Mt. Washington.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I hear you, and can certainly understand what you are saying in your posts.  For me, I find the time from about mid-March into first part of April to be a sort of weather "no man's land" and kind of a boring/doldrums period after actively tracking and following things all winter.  I don't usually come in here much in the spring and summer or early fall, except occasionally if there's something really interesting like severe weather or a tropical system.  I suspect many on this board are like that, too; not that they don't enjoy the other seasons, but a large number are here for the winter time tracking.  Then I get interested again come later in the fall as hints of the upcoming winter start coming out.  That said, I do enjoy spring, once we're into it (except perhaps for the allergies).  Fall is perhaps (next to winter!) my favorite season, it's so nice to come out of a long, hot summer and enter a period of increasingly crisp evenings and pleasant days...plus the colors as the leaves change.

2 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Ummm... you do realize that I can’t actually affect the weather by posting 300 hour FV3 maps as a joke?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I know what trolling is, PSU, yes.

Ok first of all I wish you no ill will and I’m not trying to shout you down, you have every right to push back and disagree but I also have the right to explain my point of view so I will do that now. Hopefully you don’t take offense but if you do so be it.  These are my points of contention...

1.  I have not and will not in any way come at you or anyone else for rooting for nice weather.  Plenty of people are rooting for warm sunny days and I’ve not said a thing negative about that. 

2.  How does a one day snowfall significantly impact SAD especially if it was going to be cloudy and rain that day anyways?   Im not rooting for weeks of cloudy weather. That would seem to correlate to SAD more.  This I truly don’t get.  

3.  And most of all...I’m not actually controlling the weather. Me talking about and posting stuff about snow won’t actually make it snow.  what I’m rooting for makes no difference. If it snows it has nothing to do with anything I did. So how am I at all responsible for anyone’s weather related issues?

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic