Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The March Long Range Discussion Thread, Winter's Last Stand

stormtracker

11 minutes ago, mappy said:

anymore chances? 

Around St Paddys day actually looks cold with a trough in the east...but obviously its way too far out to get into details.  But that isn't too late obviously given the recent results if something does come along.  GFS/FV3 has been teasing that time period with op runs from time to time.  Actually FV3 has had a big storm somewhere in there like 3 of the last 6 runs I think...which is pretty good for fantasy land. 

15 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

FV3 shows possible snow on Friday.  GFS has it but weaker and warmer.  Euro doesn’t have it at all.  

Beyond that is anybody’s guess.  It may stay cold but many of us are running out of time.  

EDIT: Forgot to mention the HECS at hour 366 on the FV3.  Stock up for that one.  

The FV3 shows snow? Oh look, the sun rose in the east!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Around St Paddys day actually looks cold with a trough in the east...but obviously its way too far out to get into details.  But that isn't too late obviously given the recent results if something does come along.  GFS/FV3 has been teasing that time period with op runs from time to time.  Actually FV3 has had a big storm somewhere in there like 3 of the last 6 runs I think...which is pretty good for fantasy land. 

At some point I stop rooting for troughs in the east and blocking because it just results in cold rain.  Mid-March is pretty much the tipping point for me in that regard.  You northern tier folk can probably hang on another couple of weeks beyond that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I'd be down with St. Pat's II this year (on the 5th anniversary of the original in 2014)!!  But won't hold my breath, of course.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

33 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

27 days in March left and the pattern for storms every 3 to 4 days since last year ...I'd say an emphatic YES .:D

not to mention the rare opportunities in early April :ph34r:

someone holla when its within 3 days. i don't chase these long range things. lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amped said:

March 42  was similar. Bridging in the southeast is still to strong for a redox though.

That storm was an inverted trough that probably got enhanced by the added baroclinicity that time of year. That was the biggest fluke ever. I doubt even today if it’s something that would show up good at any kind of lead time. 

EPS mean snowfall over the next 15 days for College Park is 0.7" - time to close up shop or should we hope for a mid- to late-March fluke? 
Scrrew the mean. Its about getting one final event during the final cold window
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ji said:
6 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:
EPS mean snowfall over the next 15 days for College Park is 0.7" - time to close up shop or should we hope for a mid- to late-March fluke? 

Scrrew the mean. Its about getting one final event during the final cold window

The final cold window is this week. Which model is showing a snowstorm?

Just now, Ji said:
3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:
The final cold window is this week. Which model is showing a snowstorm?

Dosent eps have an eastern trough March 17. I got 6 inches last year around March 20th

I did too. Different year. This winter we managed to rain with temps in the low 30s in Jan and Feb. A trough in late March is most likely temps in the 40s and 50s. Better be a historic storm lol.

I did too. Different year. This winter we managed to rain with temps in the low 30s in Jan and Feb. A trough in late March is most likely temps in the 40s and 50s. Better be a historic storm lol.
A hecs is only acceptable solution lol. I can t believe we tied in snow last night ha

2 minutes ago, Ji said:
5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

A hecs is only acceptable solution lol. I can t believe we tied in snow last night ha

Lol that is pretty pathetic for you isn't it? :lol:

29 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’ve had 19” of snow in the 3 weeks since DT cancelled winter for the whole east coast. He should do that more often!!!

How are you doing with your seasonal totals?  Are you going to creep your way to the median?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic