• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The March Long Range Discussion Thread, Winter's Last Stand

stormtracker

Widespread precip signal again....Big storms, historic storms give a signal on the operational models 5 plus days out.  So let’s see if it is still there in some fashion over the next week....details to be determined next weekend.  So what if we are are at day 11 or so.....at least there is a chance at a big ending that is not purely weenie wishcasting.

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Well, good news is the FV3 still has the storm.  And the GFS has come around to the idea.

Bad news is...and this will be a shocker, it's not a widespread 2 footer.  

It kinda looks like the upper air pattern basically wants to give us another decent to potentially large event. Not talking about anything discrete like the d10 unicorn  but overall very similar to how we got snow in March 14&15. We had some remarkably cold events for March in both years. Anomalous cold is a requirement that late in our climo window (stating obvious).

However (and I said this yesterday)... the type of progressive pattern really sucks for long range tracking. As long as ops occasionally show various fantasy storms and ensembles continue to shotgun events D8+ we're in the game. As good as you can ask but if anyone melts over the gfs or fv3 totally losing the d10 fantasy they need to find a new hobby STAT. 

I won't be commenting much unless something starts lining up in the mid or short range. I'm interested in early March like everyone else tho. Our area is one more event away from booking a top tier snowfall year. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It kinda looks like the upper air pattern basically wants to give us another decent to potentially large event. Not talking about anything discrete like the d10 unicorn  but overall very similar to how we got snow in March 14&15. We had some remarkably cold events for March in both years. Anomalous cold is a requirement that late in our climo window (stating obvious).

However (and I said this yesterday)... the type of progressive pattern really sucks for long range tracking. As long as ops occasionally show various fantasy storms and ensembles continue to shotgun events D8+ we're in the game. As good as you can ask but if anyone melts over the gfs or fv3 totally losing the d10 fantasy they need to find a new hobby STAT. 

I won't be commenting much unless something starts lining up in the mid or short range. I'm interested in early March like everyone else tho. Our area is one more event away from booking a top tier snowfall year. 

i think we are all getting tired of 4-6 inch events. Anything less than a dymanic double digit widespread snowevent where we dont have to worry about a minor shift here and there would be a let down. 4-6 in March sucks..

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ji said:

i think we are all getting tired of 4-6 inch events. Anything less than a dymanic double digit widespread snowevent where we dont have to worry about a minor shift here and there would be a let down. 4-6 in March sucks..

Hard to get tired of something I have only had one of.

Unless its something like Murphy's Stout.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Ji said:

I am kind of with you here. Although those of us NW usually score snow in March regardless. But I am ready for a big one or torch at this point in all honesty.

49 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's weird.  I'm skeptical yet interested in this period more than the past promising long range periods.  And not because of this FV3 blizzard nonsense.  Everyone here should know by now that a 264 hour map isn't something to hang your hat on.

47 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Have you ever really had to say that before though?

I see what you did there.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Ji said:

This is the one time where I'm actually with you on that.   I'm not going to kick a 4 to 6 inch snowstorm outta bed, but I need a little more excitement from this point on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well that certainly makes sense...now before this season I had put weak ninos in a "could go either way" category for bigger snow chances...but looking at those numbers, while they're not nina terrible, they're, ah you said...meh. Average, if you will! (And I wonder if the weak ones are like that BECAUASE they can more easily get pushed around by other factors like the MJO and such?). Will certainly keep that in mind from now on as well, lol

So now...man it would be so sweet to get another shot at a moderate modoki next year with still having low solar--I hope that Webber dude is onto something!

I think that’s exactly it. A moderate to strong modoki places strong forcing where we want it just east of the dateline. And it’s likely to win the battle for dominant control. 

Weak modoki have great variance. 1978 and 2015 were very good winters. And 1969 and 2005 certainly had periods with typical modoki nino characteristics. But there were some total crap years with almost no nino pacific response and because of variability all except 1978 failed to reach full potential. Even 78 would rank low among the moderate/strong list. 

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Amazing, isnt it.  We've walked backwards...blindfolded...kicking, screaming and complaining into a climo + season.  If it weren't for the huge preseason snow forecasts we would be already claiming victory.  Instead we are complaining about 4-6" events. 

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic