• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Feb/March 2019 Disco: More Snow In Our Future?

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Officially, 2.83" for Lancaster. I however measured nearly 3.5" at my house. 

Wow! Here in Tamaqua I got 2.00" right on the nose. Not to often the numbers come up even like that. Well, in reality, it might be 1.99999999967" due to the 10 or 12 ice pellets I had right before I left for work...lol

Drought cancel?

Looks like KMDT recorded 2.07” yesterday by midnight and another 0.32” early this morning. As of 3/21 they have 4.24” for March and 11.12” YTD. Normal to date for March is 2.22” and normal YTD is 7.49”. So we are 2.02” above for March to date (in fact the average for the entire month is 3.37”) and 3.63”,or 48.4%, above normal YTD.

If there is any solace it’s that last year at this time we were at 12.17”, 1.05” higher then this year. That might be tempered a bit due to us finishing March last year with 2.97”(0.40” below normal!) and 12.41” YTD by 3/31/18.

Finally, if you include the 0.34” KMDT has accumulated since Midnight it would take us 37 days, from March 23rd through April 28th of no precipitation (normal precipitation for those 37 days is 3.92”) for us to reach below normal precipitation levels YTD.

. Pro

19 minutes ago, canderson said:

Spring is officially here. Lots of 60s this next 10 days. Starting tomorrow . 

At this point the chances of appreciable snow south and east of the mountains has dropped to a hail mary...still, never say never...

Every time I tell myself it's over I remember 4/6/1982, It CAN happen. 

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

At this point the chances of appreciable snow south and east of the mountains has dropped to a hail mary...still, never say never...

Definitely - just looks nearly impossible with the setup.

Between March 20-21, 1958; 50”+ of snow fell in Morgantown, Pa in Chester county.

. Pro624e9eab9e3876ce5b8addd1d313ad66.jpg

1 hour ago, Jns2183 said:

Between March 20-21, 1958; 50”+ of snow fell in Morgantown, Pa in Chester county.

. Pro624e9eab9e3876ce5b8addd1d313ad66.jpg

If this is the same storm I'm remembering, I remember it very well. Was only 10 at the time and my family was living in Harrisburg, but we visited my grandparents who lived in New Providence (outside Lancaster). They were without power for many days and travel was impossible. By the time the roads were plowed and we could visit, people were driving around with flags tied to their car antennas so you could see them at intersections - which blew my young mind at the time. It was the first really big snowfall I'd ever seen and it left a lasting impression.

My fondest memory was you could walk on top of the snow, if careful. But when you broke through the crust you were pretty much stuck and had to carefully slide back up onto the crust to be able to get anywhere. The snow was so deep and the crust so hard that you could build tunnels without needing to find a snow pile. Haha...it was great!

I can't recall how much snow they actually got. Somewhere around 3 feet sticks in my mind. However, I think that's only how much was still on the ground by the time we got there. Some had melted and it had settled a lot by the time we visited.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yes, never say never, especially after the last 2 years that produced over a foot of snow for the LSV in mid to late March.

MDT still is averaging .1 of snow through yesterday. They still have about 10 more days of that .1 per day average to round out the normal seasonal average.

You are right about the April of 82 storm. I was only 4 years old for that one, but I have seen the maps & read about it.

Maybe we will have 1 more event to track before we close the snow shades for good?

4 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, never say never, especially after the last 2 years that produced over a foot of snow for the LSV in mid to late March.

MDT still is averaging .1 of snow through yesterday. They still have about 10 more days of that .1 per day average to round out the normal seasonal average.

You are right about the April of 82 storm. I was only 4 years old for that one, but I have seen the maps & read about it.

Maybe we will have 1 more event to track before we close the snow shades for good?

I was 16 in '82. The absolutely most amazing thing is that the snow was a dry, powdery snow. It blew and drifted like it was January 6th. My memory says that we had about 7" where I grew up in Lancaster county, I know the official number was 6". To get that much snow was incredible. To watch it blow and drift was something I couldn't really appreciate at the time how crazy an event it was. 

Well guys, it's that time.  Spring is gonna be springin this week, so I'm checking out for a while. 

As always I'll stop in once in a while, but I've got a full plate this spring, and I'm already running behind, so I hope y'all have a great spring/summer and I look forward to coming back in the fall.  While winter was more normalish for the N/W, we struggled in my hood, and what we got didnt stay around long, except for a few weeks back when we had our 1 week winter in the LSV.  Couple dud winters in a row for me.  Here's to next year....or the one after that.  I'll be here.

Nut

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Well guys, it's that time.  Spring is gonna be springin this week, so I'm checking out for a while. 

As always I'll stop in once in a while, but I've got a full plate this spring, and I'm already running behind, so I hope y'all have a great spring/summer and I look forward to coming back in the fall.  While winter was more normalish for the N/W, we struggled in my hood, and what we got didnt stay around long, except for a few weeks back when we had our 1 week winter in the LSV.  Couple dud winters in a row for me.  Here's to next year....or the one after that.  I'll be here.

Nut

Come back if we ever get a severe threat (seems like it's been forever though since I've seen lightning here). 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Nut

Have a good spring / summer bro.........i'll drink a couple Miller High Lifes for ya

Funny, I woke up this morning, glanced at what's coming over the next 7-10 days and thought "we're officially done now" and while I'm not a fan at all of severe I will be posting updates whenever anything of interest is occurring. 

Here's to a spring and summer of dry weather with at least a few refreshing air masses from Canada that break the seemingly never-ending heat and humidity...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Funny, I woke up this morning, glanced at what's coming over the next 7-10 days and thought "we're officially done now" and while I'm not a fan at all of severe I will be posting updates whenever anything of interest is occurring. 

Here's to a spring and summer of dry weather with at least a few refreshing air masses from Canada that break the seemingly never-ending heat and humidity...

AMEN! :)

Still somewhat of a rain/snow mix here at 1300’ (mostly rain attm). Took my drive up the road and light accums started around 1500-1600’ and ended up with an inch or so by the top (2400’+). 

Pic is 4.2 miles from my house (same spot as last week)

A6180EB4-BEF4-4951-AEDB-3197CCF836A2.thumb.jpeg.ee3167f95786461754ecd3d8f9ba8ba9.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 12z EPS & Euro Control agree with the 12z Euro Op for the chance of snow by April 1st or 2nd. There are several ensemble members that support the Op.

And there is a MA thread on it so it must be real.  Hard to get up for tracking again but thanks for keeping us sharp on this one Blizz.