• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Feb/March 2019 Disco: More Snow In Our Future?

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

CTP has MDT forecast for 4-9”. Warnings probably within an hour. 

Warnings up from LWX for counties bordering the Mason Dixon.  4" - 6" there though I believe their criteria is lower for a warning.

NAM is really bad. Super fast...it only snows for 6 hours. 1-3 at most my way and 2-4 also everywhere else.

edit: maybe 3-6 SCPA. And a bit more in SEPA. Sorry, I don’t really know where everyone on here is.

Yeah, I was gonna say it looks better than 12Z. It’s upped snowfall totals.

The 18Z HRRR just makes no sense.  It warms temps into the low 40's by early afternoon, then holds them there as the precip arrives as rain.  It doesn't change it to snow until 6pm but has a surface temp at MDT of 36 and only drops it to 33 by 06Z Monday (when the current run ends).  It gives MDT and LNS < 2" total as it looks to be winding down by 07 or 08Z.

Still under a watch and my point and click just changed to 3-7" total which means a warning will be issued since 5" is the mid point of that range, but low-end warning.  I just want to get 5.4" so my 3-storm total is a foot.  (Sorry if I've been sounding pessimistic.  I'm really not trying to be.)  Whatever we get tomorrow, followed by the arctic blast that will help preserve the pack until the end of the week will have been quite an astounding feat to pull off the first week of March.

This was the 18z NAM's snowfall using the Cobb method. That one incorporates BUFKIT data into calculating it's snow numbers. 

nam-null--pa-42-C-frozencobb24_whitecounty.thumb.png.8977f1b3b27bcd105a10d74cf796bec8.png

I'd be surprised if CTP went to warnings on the section of counties from here to Lewistown to SEG. I'm just not seeing enough support for 6", which is the criteria in these counties. I mean it wouldn't take much, especially if ratios were to play into it.. but this is looking like a 3-5" ordeal for JST-AOO-UNV-SEG. Temps aloft look to be sufficiently cold for good ratios in that region, but need the forcing to capitalize. 

Again, I think progression is a bigger issue than track. Most modeling including the GFS does get just about the whole state into the snow shield so I don't think anyone in PIT or in here gets shut out or less than 2-3" but we've really narrowed the corridor of 6"+. I rode the hot hand of the Euro/NAM combo in the 48-60hr range and it finally let me down. We may shift back north a tad in the couple runs before game time but I don't think that widens the 6+ corridor. I've already noted previously even with the more amped stuff we saw that I thought this was a 5-10" snowstorm because of the progressive nature of the system. That ceiling might be more like 7 or 8" with the weaker solutions that the more amped models have headed towards in addition to the narrower corridor. 

CTP's afternoon thoughts:

.SHORT TERM /6 AM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT/...
3 pm update... The main system of interest continues to be the
southern stream low slated to impact central PA Sunday and
Sunday night. Recent model/ensemble trends continue to nudge the
storm track southward, while also keeping its forward
progression fairly rapid. Correspondingly, earlier projected
snowfall amounts have dropped a bit. Given the synoptic back-
drop of a broad eastern CONUS trough, with a fast flow
undercutting the eastern Canadian vortex, along with a lack of
north Atlantic blocking, the latest model trends may sense.

Given above reasoning, we`ve converted a stripe of counties
along and just north of I-80 to a Winter Weather Advisory
(generally 2-4" anticipated). Farther south, given the amount of
uncertainty still present, we`ll keep the Winter Storm Watch in
tact. A solid 4-6" of snow is still plausible for south-central
PA, with locally higher totals not out of the question. Overall,
though, rapid system motion and comparatively less impressive
frontal scale forcing (as compared to some previous storms this
season) should prevent this from being a "blockbuster"
snowstorm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Oh Canada!

Here are a few time stamps of the 18z High Res Canadian HRDPS & the final snow total. 

LSV jackpot!

AA0DDF02-173C-4281-B286-51D20C3D2706.png

4393FA95-7DCF-40F8-B986-F9A52C001F8A.png

F3993934-181C-41E0-85B4-7739FBE4DE4D.png

Lock this one in. Please and thank you. A nice storm with no mixing issues will make for a nice Sunday evening plowing snow. After the last two days, we’re running out of room to put the snow. So let’s keep this under 10” please. 

38 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Oh Canada!

Here are a few time stamps of the 18z High Res Canadian HRDPS & the final snow total. 

LSV jackpot!

F3993934-181C-41E0-85B4-7739FBE4DE4D.png

The Herpy Derps penetration of 4+ inches into 2/3 of the PA is a nice look and would really suggest a nice event with 10" lollipos down LSV way.  Only model I can recall showing such a strong signal for 4+ inches that far north.

CTP somehow with the 5pm daily climate summary only had 1.2 inches of snow from midnight through 5pm at MDT.

They had .24 of precip as snow from midnight through the overnight hours, but then put the daily snow amount as 1.2 inches. 

There was no way this was a 5 to 1 ratio snow. Most surrounding local areas also  had 2 to 3 inches of snow.

Hopefully this gets corrected for the final daily summary that will post overnight.

Maybe @Cashtown_Coop could contact them to make sure they get this right?

The Nam continues to show the surface temps are the only real issue at the height of the storm...925, 850 are all well below freezing.  So it is going to snow whether you are at 32 or 36 with any kind if intensity.  Here is hour 30 from 18Z.  Blue to Green is the freezing line for the surface.  Not sure I beleive the HRRR showing rain for so long.

image.png.4182f8e9c5ef4945a01732ff80ad383e.png

• Like 1