• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Feb/March 2019 Disco: More Snow In Our Future?

My point and click for Friday says - "A chance of rain showers before 8am, then a chance of rain and snow showers after noon. Some thunder is also possible. Partly sunny, with a high near 50."

Squall line potential like the other day?

The situation 5 miles (and +1200’ elev) away, S+ and accums starting.

35786DCC-A2A6-4CB0-9F0B-978A76689399.thumb.jpeg.fcb120d6d3a80dfb1f60467313714d92.jpeg

Down here it’s mainly rain with cat paws/slush drops. Full transition looked to be about 1600-1800’.  Looking at all the bright banding on CCX radar essentially down to right over the radar. This thing was about 2 or 3 degrees at the surface-925mb level  from being a paste bomb in the AOO-UNV region. 

53 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

The situation 5 miles (and +1200’ elev) away, S+ and accums starting.

35786DCC-A2A6-4CB0-9F0B-978A76689399.thumb.jpeg.fcb120d6d3a80dfb1f60467313714d92.jpeg

Down here it’s mainly rain with cat paws/slush drops. Full transition looked to be about 1600-1800’.  Looking at all the bright banding on CCX radar essentially down to right over the radar. This thing was about 2 or 3 degrees at the surface-925mb level  from being a paste bomb in the AOO-UNV region. 

Congrats MAG !

What are your thoughts on the winter storm chance for early next week ?

27 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Congrats MAG !

What are your thoughts on the winter storm chance for early next week ?

I think there's a chance but it looks to come down to timing of the potential wave vs the press of the cold air boundary. Too quick and its too far north and too late and best precip runs south of the area. 18z GFS looked suggestive of a rain to snow scenario as the cold presses south with the wave moving through our region. That would obviously be a risky scenario this time of the year. Still pretty decent lead time for resolving details with that one. 

4 hours ago, Festus said:

My point and click for Friday says - "A chance of rain showers before 8am, then a chance of rain and snow showers after noon. Some thunder is also possible. Partly sunny, with a high near 50."

Squall line potential like the other day?

Not necessarily squall line potential but there will be a ton of instability tomorrow in the wake of our deepening coastal storm. The strong late March sun that will likely come out at times esp in the Sus Valley and south central and surface heating vs the cold air aloft will definitely ensure low level instability and numerous pop up rain/snow showers (likely in more cellular fashion). There will also be decent instability at the mid levels too with the very deep closed 500mb low over the NE bringing in a lobe of -35 to -40ªC air over PA tomorrow afternoon/evening at the 500mb level. Should be some feisty showers of whatever tomorrow.. probably more snow in the Laurels/central counties and rain in the Sus Valley. This is the type of setup that graupel is quite possible too along with rumbles of thunder. 

46 minutes ago, pawatch said:

A lot of weather going on in the northeast this morning. We're suppose to get snow flurries this afternoon.

Northeast Pa. could see 2-3" of snow I see. Upstate New York a major snow storm.

We fringed the rain last night, missed the real heavy stuff.

And some areas got it. I was supposed to do a Hazleton Area High School field trip today, but they got enough snow for a 3 hour delay which automatically cancelled out the trip. So now I'm back at home and lost a day of pay. Here in Tamaqua, we had a few pingers but for all intents, it was all rain and no accumulation, but once I got up the hill a mile from the house it was snowing. Then, when I got up the next hill to McAdoo, that's where the roads caved and I saw 1-3 inches the rest of the way to our bus garage in Hazleton.

This was at the Valero gas station in McAdoo this morning just 6 miles from my house...

54799837_10218653332985771_3459687729925718016_n.jpg

• Like 1