• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Feb/March 2019 Disco: More Snow In Our Future?

If one is really interested in the history of this board, where it started from, why Marcus pulled away from the Usenet groups, etc....it is pretty much all up on narkive.com.  If I do a Google search for my real name and ne.weather it finds thousands of my posts from the 1990's and on.  Lots of stuff on there about the battles between EUS, WWBB, the on and off banning of DT, etc....

As an example here is the first page from a search for wwbb narkive.com...without my name listed.   (and links to buy a Toyota in Japan!) 

image.thumb.png.b16e077f9456f100246317c20549b55d.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

If one is really interested in the history of this board, where it started from, why Marcus pulled away from the Usenet groups, etc....it is pretty much all up on narkive.com.  If I do a Google search for my real name and ne.weather it finds thousands of my posts from the 1990's and on.  Lots of stuff on there about the battles between EUS, WWBB, the on and off banning of DT, etc....

As an example here is the first page from a search for wwbb narkive.com...without my name listed.   (and links to buy a Toyota in Japan!) 

image.thumb.png.b16e077f9456f100246317c20549b55d.png

Wow! Good find Bubbler.

49 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Didn't even think to look at the FV3 this morning. Nice to see it has a very similar look at 500's leading into the possible coastal even though it evolves somewhat differently afterwards. Lends credence to the Euro's solution. Not to mention looking over the last few runs of the original GFS/GEFS I think it may be starting to see/move towards the same look as well. Even though the EPS snowfall maps were virtually nonexistent vs prior runs I think that is very misleading. We have actually seen a very good improvement the last 48 hours at 500's that has strongly moved towards the Euro's op run look leading into the storm. But... 8 days away so lets see where the models take us. 

Yeah, i agree.  Snowfall maps would change rather notably if we can slow the flow a bit.  I do not have individual access like you, but if this has a chance, we need to start seeing some juicy solutions start to enter the foray of possibilities in the next day or so.....or forgettaboutit.  GEPS/GEFS show a rather progressive look, and need some work for sure, but I can see a way for something to pop as trough lifts out and we Spring.

1 hour ago, daxx said:

Wow! Good find Bubbler.

Saw this one post.  Funny.  These are all posts that were on the ne.weather Usenet group talking about the "new" web based stuff.

Eastern is down for the 6th or 7th time today. Poor Marcus. It gets overloaded
everytime a model run comes out and weenies rush to look at the qpf map
while certain met's fight each other for the first chance to change their
"Final call". Have to admit, though, it certainly looks like someone is
going to get it good as to snow accumulation. The storm is on the radar and
it looks juicy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Saw this one post.  Funny.  These are all posts that were on the ne.weather Usenet group talking about the "new" web based stuff.

Eastern is down for the 6th or 7th time today. Poor Marcus. It gets overloaded
everytime a model run comes out and weenies rush to look at the qpf map
while certain met's fight each other for the first chance to change their
"Final call". Have to admit, though, it certainly looks like someone is
going to get it good as to snow accumulation. The storm is on the radar and
it looks juicy.

i went to that link but can't search

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

i went to that link but can't search

I search from Google and put narkive in the search so try narkive wwbb.  You can try other terms with Narkive however terms like eus are so common it is hard to filter.  After all these years the reign of Bartlo is going to be cast back into the light.    Narkive 12Z is another good one. 

Edit-Ok, I officially feel bad after seeing the link below though there was never any confirmation that the neweather/EUS Bartlo was this Bartlo (at least not that I heard).  The Bartlo issue was one of the main reasons EUS and WWBB came into existence. 

https://www.poconorecord.com/article/20070814/NEWS07/708140305

image.png.97fb8a473dbd0dd8bb817d771d9defad.png

15 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Kind of hard to believe that hasn't changed once this entire winter. Shame. Next week could have been a powder keg...

I really lost interest about a week ago.  It might still come around but I'm not holding my breath. 

Edit: Not a week but definitely last 4 to 5 days.

Did anyone notice in those archives that several of them mentioned "DT" numerous times?  He was everywhere back in the time period those searches were from (which I don't know when then were from, but I'm guessing early 2000's??).

Did I ever tell any of you that I attended DT's wedding??  LOL  We were friends back in the day.  Before moving down to Virginia he lived in NYC.  I used to see him at our monthly weather club meetings in north Jersey.  He'd make the trip in for the meetings periodically.  He actually used to call me and give me personal weather briefings on pending storm setups.  It was like having my own concierge meteorologist.  :)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Today's big bad "Bomb" Cyclone. I'm pretty sure those wind gusts are in knots. Amarillo, TX gusting to 72mph.

51858755_ScreenShot2019-03-13at2_52_14PM.thumb.png.62b582558e2542d34610b64536bab6da.png

Should add that it's 26 years to the day and 1700miles to the west of the 93 superstorm haha.

Edit: Denver and the Dakota's 

They are getting hit hard. 12-18" of snow and 50mph winds.

Crazy they are getting hit with a foot of snow every week.

where did Jamie ever get to that was on here?

5 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Did anyone notice in those archives that several of them mentioned "DT" numerous times?  He was everywhere back in the time period those searches were from (which I don't know when then were from, but I'm guessing early 2000's??).

Did I ever tell any of you that I attended DT's wedding??  LOL  We were friends back in the day.  Before moving down to Virginia he lived in NYC.  I used to see him at our monthly weather club meetings in north Jersey.  He'd make the trip in for the meetings periodically.  He actually used to call me and give me personal weather briefings on pending storm setups.  It was like having my own concierge meteorologist.  :)

what, thats cool. 

5 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

The ones I saw with my name in ranged from the late 1990's to 2005ish.  Like you noticed there are not dates on them and those are far from the full Usenet archives but it does give a glance that outside the less moderated nature of the time, things were really not that much different back then.  Fewer models had off hour runs.  LOL.

That is pretty cool you attended his wedding.  He is indeed fully into weather even if his trouble managing emotions limited his ability to pass on the info sometimes.

Guys...I have a niece who lives out in Colorado Springs.  She snapchatted me earlier alerting me to what they were going through.  They're in the midst of a monstrous blizzard right now with that ridiculous 970mb low that formed over southeast CO this morning.  Immediately before the obs I have below it was raining with temps near 40.  Take a look at the current ob.  North winds sustained at 52 gusting to 79 mph!  Their blizzard warning specifically says the Colorado springs area may experience winds gusting to 95 mph!  Unbelievable.

D
a
t
e
Time
(mdt)
Wind
(mph)
Vis.
(mi.)
Weather Sky Cond. Temperature (ºF) Relative
Humidity
Wind
Chill
(°F)
Heat
Index
(°F)
Pressure Precipitation (in.)
Air Dwpt 6 hour altimeter
(in)
sea level
(mb)
1 hr 3 hr 6 hr
Max. Min.
13 13:54 N 52 G 79 0.13 Heavy Snow Blowing Snow and Windy VV008 27 26     96% 7 NA 29.09 984.7 0.02    
13 12:54 N 51 G 79 0.13 Heavy Snow Blowing Snow and Windy VV008 29 28     96% 10 NA 29.04 982.4 0.04    
13 11:54 N 41 G 74 0.25 Heavy Snow Blowing Snow and Windy VV008 32 32 40 32 100% 16 NA 28.95 978.9 0.04   0.18
13 10:54 N 44 G 59 0.25 Heavy Snow Fog and Windy VV011 34 33     97% 18 NA 28.90 976.2 0.03    
13 09:54 NW 29 G 51 0.75 Light Snow Fog/Mist and Windy BKN015 OVC043 35 34     96% 22 NA 28.90 976.1 0.06    
13 08:54 NW 29 G 41 3.00 Rain Snow Fog/Mist and Windy OVC034 37 36     96% 25 NA 28.92 976.2 0.03 0.05
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, daxx said:

I really lost interest about a week ago.  It might still come around but I'm not holding my breath. 

Edit: Not a week but definitely last 4 to 5 days.

agreed.  Needs to be alot closer than it is and it looks just like a wasted window right now.  Could morph into something minor/close miss i guess, but I think the chance of it trending into a hit is going out said window.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Guys...I have a niece who lives out in Colorado Springs.  She snapchatted me earlier alerting me to what they were going through.  They're in the midst of a monstrous blizzard right now with that ridiculous 970mb low that formed over southeast CO this morning.  Immediately before the obs I have below it was raining with temps near 40.  Take a look at the current ob.  North winds sustained at 52 gusting to 79 mph!  Their blizzard warning specifically says the Colorado springs area may experience winds gusting to 95 mph!  Unbelievable.

D
a
t
e
Time
(mdt)
Wind
(mph)
Vis.
(mi.)
Weather Sky Cond. Temperature (ºF) Relative
Humidity
Wind
Chill
(°F)
Heat
Index
(°F)
Pressure Precipitation (in.)
Air Dwpt 6 hour altimeter
(in)
sea level
(mb)
1 hr 3 hr 6 hr
Max. Min.
13 13:54 N 52 G 79 0.13 Heavy Snow Blowing Snow and Windy VV008 27 26     96% 7 NA 29.09 984.7 0.02    
13 12:54 N 51 G 79 0.13 Heavy Snow Blowing Snow and Windy VV008 29 28     96% 10 NA 29.04 982.4 0.04    
13 11:54 N 41 G 74 0.25 Heavy Snow Blowing Snow and Windy VV008 32 32 40 32 100% 16 NA 28.95 978.9 0.04   0.18
13 10:54 N 44 G 59 0.25 Heavy Snow Fog and Windy VV011 34 33     97% 18 NA 28.90 976.2 0.03    
13 09:54 NW 29 G 51 0.75 Light Snow Fog/Mist and Windy BKN015 OVC043 35 34     96% 22 NA 28.90 976.1 0.06    
13 08:54 NW 29 G 41 3.00 Rain Snow Fog/Mist and Windy OVC034 37 36     96% 25 NA 28.92 976.2 0.03 0.05

maybe next year.........

or the year after.........

or the year after that. :cry: