• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Feb/March 2019 Disco: More Snow In Our Future?

13 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

To play devil's advocate, severe weather is much more fascinating than a weak clipper blowing through. The intricacies of helicity, shear, VBV, instability make or break a system, and the incredible process of huge towers going up and all coming together into crazy weather. Maybe I'm wrong, but mid level snow storms are kinda just run of the mill disturbances with frozen liquid instead of rain. Im expecting this to be unpopular, but I enjoy both.

As you could guess, I love severe much more than snow. You mention towers in your post. Well, you haven't seen anything until you see towers rising all around you from the mountain ranges during an Arizona monsoon while it's clear on the valley floor. It's kind of like a ring of fire, and you watch the sky and the radar wondering which ones will build into a super cell, and which ones will drift down out of the mountains and into the valley. Unlike here in PA where they mostly roll in from the west or northwest, a cell can come from any direction at anytime, and occasionally drift from multiple directions and come together into one immense storm.

One of those happened when I lived out there as a storm came north from Pinal County and Gila Bend, one drifted south from Lake Pleasant, and the other came in from the east out of Mesa. They hit West Phoenix and Avondale (where I lived at the time) with such a vengeance as I'd never seen before. Lightning that wasn't CTG stretched from one end of the sky to the other in a near strobe light effect for nearly an hour.

Then there's the outflow induced haboobs, or duststorms, which can be incredibly amazing in their own right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

To play devil's advocate, severe weather is much more fascinating than a weak clipper blowing through. The intricacies of helicity, shear, VBV, instability make or break a system, and the incredible process of huge towers going up and all coming together into crazy weather. Maybe I'm wrong, but mid level snow storms are kinda just run of the mill disturbances with frozen liquid instead of rain. Im expecting this to be unpopular, but I enjoy both.

I was just joking around earlier...

There are interesting types of weather in all seasons.

Most people, myself included, joined this website, & keep coming back, because of their interest in tracking snow.

I just pointed out that the game is soon coming to an end for us winter snow trackers, so we should try to enjoy tracking every last storm potential.

Soon @pasnownut & I, along with some other posters, will go into spring & summer hibernation.

I will try to visit here once in a while, but day after day of heat & humidity just get me longing for fall & winter !

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Nearly a month, since Feb 12th. Prior to that I had a run with snow on the ground from Jan 9th til later in the first week of February and about 4-5 days with the November snowstorm. Obviously the high amount of sleet in the numerous mixing events this winter was a factor but it's been a pretty good run with the snowpack retention this winter here. Most of the yard is still covered but both neighboring yards to mine are not. 

Thats an impressive run bud.  So so jealous.  I dont need/expect epic runs of storm after storm, I just like what i get to stick around.  Good stuff.

If motha Nature wants to throw another snow at us next Friday, who am i to argue. One last hoorah before we put her to bed.................and long summer nights dreaming of snow :snowing: and this https://www.pennlive.com/life/2019/03/the-storm-of-the-century-dumped-more-than-20-inches-of-snow-in-the-harrisburg-area.html 

8 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I post this map & no response ...wow!

I guess that I should just argue about my high temp for today...

Just kidding... see you for the 0z Euro that will hopefully crush us tonight for next week!

I was talking about temperatures on Sunday because...there was nothing else to talk about at the time, and there was a sharp contrast between near 70 temps in NVA and the low 40s in CPA. I (and a few others) were curious to see which model was going to bust horribly on temps) 

I'd much rather talk about snow, and I was one of the leaders in talking about the period coming up next week. As @MAG5035 said last night...there is nothing definitive to jump on just yet. 

I still remain hopeful for something special next week but until then i see no harm in discussing current weather conditions...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Thats an impressive run bud.  So so jealous.  I dont need/expect epic runs of storm after storm, I just like what i get to stick around.  Good stuff.

After a sort of a frustrating winter I'm taking a lot of solace that we just finished a full week of March with continuous snow cover. That...was an accomplishment. 

7 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

Have you ever considered being a storm chaser? I know you love severe and often wondered if you'd consider going to tornado alley and having some fun with it.

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

After a sort of a frustrating winter I'm taking a lot of solace that we just finished a full week of March with continuous snow cover. That...was an accomplishment. 

Yes, that was a good accomplishment. The snow piles on the side streets & parking lots are shrinking, but it will take a few more days for those to disappear.

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I was talking about temperatures on Sunday because...there was nothing else to talk about at the time, and there was a sharp contrast between near 70 temps in NVA and the low 40s in CPA.

I'd much rather talk about snow, and I was one of the leaders in talking about the period coming up next week. As @MAG5035 said last night...there is nothing definitive to jump on just yet. 

I still remain hopeful for something special next week but until then i see no harm in discussing current weather conditions...

Please see my other post above...

I was joking around & I am getting sad that winter tracking is in the 4th quarter!

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Please see my other post above...

I was joking around & I am getting sad that winter tracking is in the 4th quarter!

No I understand...and I made a similar post in the past few days (I think on Saturday) about how depressing it is when you know it's about over. I wasn't being argumentative, I was just saying that I found something else to talk about. :) 

We're not just in the 4th quarter...we're in hurry up with 1:10 on the clock down 14...

• Like 1

On Sunday my wife joked about shoveling the snow out of our yard onto the street, after choking on my cold brew, she realized by my look i didn't agree. Yesterday when i got home the snow was noticeably melted. We took a hit Monday. 

My boys and I make a pile of it close to the north side of the house to minimize the sun it gets. We try to make it last as long as possible.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Have you ever considered being a storm chaser? I know you love severe and often wondered if you'd consider going to tornado alley and having some fun with it.

I'm a guidance counselor with second job as order clerk at Wegmans lol, wish I could but paying off stuff is all I do now. When we have an enhanced day around here or better, I'll usually call in and set up best I can to find most extreme weather event offers. Actually saw few nice wall clouds and touchdown in Sullivan County years back, but prefer Southern PA east of mountains as it's easiest to see surroundings.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 0z EPS still has a low off of the southeast coast next week, but also takes it out to sea this run. 

96DBFAA3-DAFB-4466-B99C-6FCBDBCEE76B.png

You are the most optimistic person on this forum!  The models could show a storm 2000 miles off shore and you would still think there is a chance.  Hopefully your optimism can bring it home. I think it is a long shot at this point. I am talking a major snowfall, not just an advisory type deal.  Even that may be a struggle. Like we always say there is still some time left.  

34 minutes ago, daxx said:

You are the most optimistic person on this forum!  The models could show a storm 2000 miles off shore and you would still think there is a chance.  Hopefully your optimism can bring it home. I think it is a long shot at this point. I am talking a major snowfall, not just an advisory type deal.  Even that may be a struggle. Like we always say there is still some time left.  

It was disheartening to see the cluster move significantly farther offshore overnight. It's the progressive flow...

50 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

I'm a guidance counselor with second job as order clerk at Wegmans lol, wish I could but paying off stuff is all I do now. When we have an enhanced day around here or better, I'll usually call in and set up best I can to find most extreme weather event offers. Actually saw few nice wall clouds and touchdown in Sullivan County years back, but prefer Southern PA east of mountains as it's easiest to see surroundings.

To my dismay, we do severe well down this way. It seems like the epicenter of severe is the Hershey area. I don't know what it is but Hershey/Palmyra/Campelltown gets raked more often than not. 

We just got a Wegman's in Lancaster back in the fall. I will not buy groceries anywhere else unless i have to. I absolutely love that store. 

The areas to the east and south east of MDT are famous for tornadoes even outside the general area (and sink holes).  I have spoken to people from other parts of the country that heard Lancaster County and mentioned they hear there are a lot of tornadoes there.   Stats show it is 1-2 a year so their reputation may be larger than the actual results.  

51 minutes ago, daxx said:

there's ALWAYS a chance......lol

Yeah, blizz and I have typically been the ones sniffing out storms over the last many years, but its been nice to see others in search of.....

I admit, this year he was more optimistic than I, as I really burnt myself out over the last few years, and needed a mental break.  I just needed to enjoy the snow as it came, cause thats why i do this.  Thanks for carrying the load Blizz.  

Seems like we have a decent group looking for snow love.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The areas to the east and south east of MDT are famous for tornadoes even outside the general area (and sink holes).  I have spoken to people form othe parts of the country that heard Lancaster County and mentioned they hear there are a lot of tornadoes there.   Stats show it is 1-2 a year so their reputation may be larger than the actual results.  

One of my clients is directly across the street from the most problematic sinkhole in CTP.  Palmyra.  I'll be over there this afteroon and will see if i can get pics of how large an area has been affected.  It is rather impressive/scary.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

The areas to the east and south east of MDT are famous for tornadoes even outside the general area (and sink holes).  I have spoken to people from other parts of the country that heard Lancaster County and mentioned they hear there are a lot of tornadoes there.   Stats show it is 1-2 a year so their reputation may be larger than the actual results.  

I think it's inflated by fact they are usually most visible to higher population down there. We've had some up this way but between mountains and rain wrapping they seem like wind damage and get corrected later.

2 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

Some in this group needs your professional assistance. :lmao:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

I think it's inflated by fact they are usually most visible to higher population down there. We've had some up this way but between mountains and rain wrapping they seem like wind damage and get corrected later.

Yea, 1-2 a year is not a lot of Tornadoes when compared to a OK, TX, or KS type situation...or even the Southeast. I guess maybe the people mean to say they are surprised Lancaster county sees any tornadoes.  On this whole subject I will say that the weather in the LSV is certainly more "on the edge" than some more commonly thought bombastic weather areas like the Southeast US.  They get the occassional major flood or 'Cane but those usually affect small areas where as up here the wind, overly severe storms and moderate flooding is almost a yearly thing.  I never once saw hail or a wind over 60MPH after spending 13 years in Florida but I will see that up here every year.

15 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Haha, nah I'm as whacked as anyone here, I'm basically secretary that handles testing and other lame stuff.

Was thinking the same thing.  Your a whacked weenie just like the rest of us.

If they ever call for tonadoes in Akron, I'll pm you and you can stay at my place.  You can text me when its passed.  For your troubles, you can even drink SOME of my beer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

To my dismay, we do severe well down this way. It seems like the epicenter of severe is the Hershey area. I don't know what it is but Hershey/Palmyra/Campelltown gets raked more often than not. 

We just got a Wegman's in Lancaster back in the fall. I will not buy groceries anywhere else unless i have to. I absolutely love that store. 

1 hour ago, Wmsptwx said:

I love their subs lol, quality stuff. Yea, Lebanon county is a favorite of mine down into Lancaster. During Lee I was around Hershey area as models set up horrible training bands overhead and witnessed worst flash flooding I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

I grew up in Southern Lancaster county, and that area is a mini tornado alley. Of all the places I have lived, I have never seen storms as severe as I did living there.

Watch the radar during storm season, and you will see them develop over southern York county and track east over the river and pound Solanco.

I lived in Penn Manor school district...and the towns right along the Susquehanna often had funnel clouds. Washington Boro down to Conestoga to Mt. Nebo.