• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Feb/March 2019 Disco: More Snow In Our Future?

5 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Yea I thought things came back enough in the near term for widespread 4-5" amounts here and over there in Pit. It's a pretty nice powder snow here and not the really wet snow the southern tier has. Just didn't get enough of the good rates to capitalize. Still not all that bad, it's still + snowfall at least. 

Completely unscientific rule of thumb for us in the PIT forum...always forecast 2-4 inches.

13 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

I didn't go back out and measure, but My brother in law next door said 4.5" 

I ended up with 4"...kicking myself this morning for not sticking to my original call of 2" - 5" for our area.

Looking at reports I might have been at the low end for the county...looks like most areas received 5"+ so there's that...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I ended up with 4"...kicking myself this morning for not sticking to my original call of 2" - 5" for our area.

Looking at reports I might have been at the low end for the county...looks like most areas received 5"+ so there's that...

After the last couple days, it looks like winter. 

This old mans back is tight after these 3 snows. Coupled with floor work. :wacko:

1 minute ago, sauss06 said:

After the last couple days, it looks like winter. 

This old mans back is tight after these 3 snows. Coupled with floor work. :wacko:

I was thinking about this on the way in to work this morning, when was the last time we cleared off 3 measurable snowfalls in a 5 day period?

That is very impressive! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Ended up a little over 5” just west of Lancaster City.

This was a pure paste job.

One of most picturesque I’ve seen in a long time.

Beautiful drive this morning...lots of low hanging wires above roadways as well. Hopefully the snow falls/melts before the winds bring them down...

27 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I was thinking about this on the way in to work this morning, when was the last time we cleared off 3 measurable snowfalls in a 5 day period?

That is very impressive! 

i can't even recall. I don't mind shoveling, but damn these last 3 events I've had to dig my way out of my driveway. The chit the plow truck leaves behind has been like an ice jam. I said to my wife i wondered if our township was using a different kind of rock salt or something. I have never had this issue before. 

Tuesday-Thursday lows are going to be chilly

Northern and Central Lancaster County got screwed.  Some 7-9" near the MD line and that was with mixing at Delta and near Strictlerville.  Seems the storm shut off more quickly than modeled.  Coastal pulled it out instead of pushed it up...someone else had mentioned that last night.   Dillsburg reported 8" which is the highest I have seen away from the MD line so far.  Upper Strausburg had 6.5.  I had 7.  

Easy shovel as only about 4" on the pavement. Nice, peaceful morning for what might be the last one of the season.  

EDIT-FV3 has 3 possible shovel events in the next 15 days.  LOL.  Hmmm...

9 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Northern and Central Lancaster County got screwed.  Some 7-9" near the MD line and that was with mixing at Delta and near Strictlerville.  Seems the storm shut off more quickly than modeled.  Coastal pulled it out instead of pushed it up...someone else had mentioned that last night.   Dillsburg reported 8" which is the highest I have seen away from the MD line so far.  Upper Strausburg had 6.5.  I had 7.  

Easy shovel as only about 4" on the pavement. Nice, peaceful morning for what might be the last one of the season.  

And that's why i never get too invested in models...how many were targeting my area with the highest amounts? Quite a few. 

Every storm is unique, every storm brings with it surprises, both good and bad. And in March...there's always extra wild cards involved.

By the way, I do NOT think we're done yet. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if we get more than one more snow. I'm surprised at how bearish you are...

12 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

I didnt get screwed in northern lanco.  Eyeballing 5-6"  Snowed nicely till about 11:30 then tapered off.  Lost a little on paved/warm surfaces, but was expected and forecasted here.  Wish I didn't have to be here at work.  My buddy snowmobiled to his office in Mt. Joy.  

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

And that's why i never get to invested in models...how many were targeting my area with the highest amounts? Quite a few. 

Every storm is unique, every storm brings with it surprises, both good and bad. And in March...there's always extra wild cards involved.

By the way, I do NOT think we're done yet. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if we get more than one more snow. I'm surprised at how bearish you are...

Yea, I guess there is two kinds of forecasting.  Climo and modeling...and some in between.  I would guess that 90% of forecasting done now is modeling.  When I read NWS AFD's I see a lot of reasoning based on model solutions and the point and click forecasts are almost all models.  But like you said, there are always surprises.  I think that is what makes it fun especially a bust to the positive.  You had a good hunch that the 6-10" modeled for your area was too high. 

I did not mean to sound bearish I was just reflecting on the fact that we had 3 snows this weekend and only had to shovel for one...the other two melted off without shovel.  When I breezed over the EC last night I did not notice a plowable event so this could be my last shovel this season but I certainly hope not!

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

And that's why i never get to invested in models...how many were targeting my area with the highest amounts? Quite a few. 

I'm confused, from my view from afar this weekend I saw lanco in 4-7 range and cashtown and points NE doing better.  I'm rather certain I got @ 6" which was on point.  S Lanco was to get a little more and I'm waiting to hear from my bud south of Millersville (plows commercially for several clients).  

I think your approach to not getting too wrapped up in models is a good one, bud I thought they did pretty well.  

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I didnt get screwed in northern lanco.  Eyeballing 5-6"  Snowed nicely till about 11:30 then tapered off.  Lost a little on paved/warm surfaces, but was expected and forecasted here.  Wish I didn't have to be here at work.  My buddy snowmobiled to his office in Mt. Joy.  

Glad you did so well.  I was seeing guys on here say 4-5" and saw the CTP reports saying similar for Lancaster proper.  NAM, GFS, Euro all had them getting 6-10".  N MD really got screwed with Frederick only getting 2" on a 6-8 forecast.   

8 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Glad you did so well.  I was seeing guys on here say 4-5" and saw the CTP reports saying similar for Lancaster proper.  NAM, GFS, Euro all had them getting 6-10".  N MD really got screwed with Frederick only getting 2" on a 6-8 forecast.   

I just drove from Akron/Ephrata to Etown, and I can tell you a pretty uniform 6" snowfall was had in between.  Saw lots of sled tracks, and I can tell you that there is 9-10" OTG in many areas.  On way home from mountains yesterday, I'd say a 2-3" base was in same areas.  I expected N MD to be in the battle zone w/ thermal boundary, and as we all know, areas just north of it, typically jackpot.  All in all a rather nice event/period, and I'm glad for it.

From the little I've looked, I could see Friday coming back north (and like where we sit), but it looks, like beyond that its back to a yo yo pattern w/ wild swings n cutters.  

I only saw Euro showing 8 max? 

NAM - well its the NAM

GFS actually verified pretty well w/ snow maps IMO

Im talking MBY anyway.

And for the useless trivia fact of the day...this is only the second time in Millersville weather records dating back to 1926 that their top 2 snow events of the season occurred in both November and March.  The only other winter was '31 - '32.  Meteorological winter was relegated to 3rd place.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I'm confused, from my view from afar this weekend I saw lanco in 4-7 range and cashtown and points NE doing better.  I'm rather certain I got @ 6" which was on point.  S Lanco was to get a little more and I'm waiting to hear from my bud south of Millersville (plows commercially for several clients).  

I think your approach to not getting too wrapped up in models is a good one, bud I thought they did pretty well.  

I ended up with just over 4". Certainly not 5 or 6". Regardless, the Euro was constantly showing 7-8" amounts for me and the Canadian was even higher. And both of those and probably a few other were striping the heaviest snows east of the Susquehanna. We were talking all weekend in here that Lancaster (especially northern) might end up the winner in this general area. It didn't. That was my only point. Every storm has little surprises within the envelope of the bigger picture. 

22 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Correct...almost every model had all of Lanco at 6"+. I had 4". But as i said earlier this morning most of Lanco did better than me. It's all perspective from how your back yard did. 

18 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I just drove from Akron/Ephrata to Etown, and I can tell you a pretty uniform 6" snowfall was had in between.  Saw lots of sled tracks, and I can tell you that there is 9-10" OTG in many areas.  On way home from mountains yesterday, I'd say a 2-3" base was in same areas.  I expected N MD to be in the battle zone w/ thermal boundary, and as we all know, areas just north of it, typically jackpot.  All in all a rather nice event/period, and I'm glad for it.

From the little I've looked, I could see Friday coming back north (and like where we sit), but it looks, like beyond that its back to a yo yo pattern w/ wild swings n cutters.  

I only saw Euro showing 8 max? 

NAM - well its the NAM

GFS actually verified pretty well w/ snow maps IMO

Im talking MBY anyway.

GFS actually went hog wild at the end but leading up to the event, even at 24 hours, it was undone.  Check out the Saturday morning GFS snow map.   Half of reality in most cases for Central and Eastern PA (while being over done in DC and MD).  But yea for most of us this was one of the top 3 events this season I would think. 

image.png.80779b843c00ba3d13774db7eea63117.png

Yeah, I mentioned coastal was ramping up and soon after rates dropped.

That aided BOS areas 15”+ snows.

2 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

GFS actually went hog wild at the end but leading up to the event, even at 24 hours, it was undone.  Check out the Saturday morning GFS snow map.   Half of reality in most cases for Central and Eastern PA (while being over done in DC and MD).  But yea for most of us this was one of the top 3 events this year I would think. 

image.png.80779b843c00ba3d13774db7eea63117.png

In fairness bud, you can pick a euro run that bounced around as well inside of 36.  Surely not arguing, but I just looked back at the GFS and NAM, and inside 24-36 i didnt see anything above 8 for the LSV.  To me, when the NAM shows 8" I know I'm not getting more than 6" w/ the best ratios, as we know its snowy bias.  Guess thats what I based my "happiness" off of.  Look back over the GFS

namconus_asnow_neus_12.png

gfs_asnow_neus_6.png

I drive through southern Lanco for work.

Observing this morning, there must have been some sleet or rain as there was much less accumulation near border.

Guess I'm not sure where ya'll thought the big totals were coming from?  Personally I never believed them as we were initially concerned at how long it would take for column to cool w/o a good HP anchored in the NE, it was missing the big spark needed to get those totals?

Regardless, it was a great moderate event, and if that's the last appreciable event, oh well.  I may have blown my sled up anyway.

• Like 1