• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Feb/March 2019 Disco: More Snow In Our Future?

5 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

That thought you had yesterday, about 3 consectuve measureables at MDT, is going to look pretty cool when we look back at records years from now.  Will we remember the first two basically melted off in a day, not sure, but looks like one great stretch of March.

It will look even better if CTP ever revises MDT’s snow amount from early Saturday am. If not, that will be another inch of snow that was there but never made the history books.

7 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Sorry, man.  You looked like a sure bet to get 4+.  

It's all good. I think we'll get our 4, but insane rates are cool to watch. Even if just for an hour or two. I was in total awe back in 96 when it snowed so hard in the final deformation band that it looked like pea soup fog outside.

Here's my 10:00pm Ob...

Temp 31.3.  After a very nice period of heavy snow it has lightened back up to moderate and seems to be getting ready to taper down.  Picked up an additional 0.8" for a storm total of 4.8".  I think I'm going to come up about 0.5" shy of my goal of 5.4" as it looks like the end is quickly approaching.  I'll update one last time at 11:00.  It's been fun tracking all day and night with all you fellow weenies. :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Yeah sterling all the way for us.  I’ll watch state college once in a while for a line of tstorms dropping down but that’s it.   The best radar for us lsv folks was when wgal had their live Doppler 8.   That had a lower angle and showed great banding detail and  had very little virga returns.   @AllWeather any plans on making that operational anymore?

Not in the near future, unfortunately. :(

11 minutes ago, canderson said:

Someone should tell ABC27 you don’t measure snow officially from a parking lot. Edit to add: I don’t mean to be snarky. But you are a meteorologist at a news station. 

they do this to downplay the snow accumulations. they have always under cut snow accumulations. they will claim its cause the normal ground had snow on it all ready. but a snow storm I remember a few years back MDT reported 14 inchs  then harrisburg airport reported 8 mind you both of them are reporteed from the airport. I chuckled and turned it off.  

Wow I'm not even to 3". My average is 2.7" attm. I did better on Friday morning's system than that. Have to see if this last band to the west makes it and gets us to the 3" mark here. The snow seemed to shut off a couple hours ahead of schedule. 

7 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Wow I'm not even to 3". My average is 2.7" attm. I did better on Friday morning's system than that. Have to see if this last band to the west makes it and gets us to the 3" mark here. The snow seemed to shut off a couple hours ahead of schedule. 

Similar story here....a lot of places got a sneaky 3-4” Thursday night, and that’s the general range for this as well.

5 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Similar story here....a lot of places got a sneaky 3-4” Thursday night, and that’s the general range for this as well.

Yea I thought things came back enough in the near term for widespread 4-5" amounts here and over there in Pit. It's a pretty nice powder snow here and not the really wet snow the southern tier has. Just didn't get enough of the good rates to capitalize. Still not all that bad, it's still + snowfall at least. 

With very light snow falling but imminently about to end at 11:00pm, the Temp has dropped to 31.1 degrees.  I picked up an additional 0.1" during the past hour for a storm total of 4.9".  That brings my 72-hour 3-storm total to 11.5".  Overall, it was really great to have 3 snow storms that were, for the most part, all snow from start to finish.  I don't mind starting as liquid and ending as snow.  It's the other way around that's not fun.  I guess maybe we have another shot at a little something more as the arctic blast departs by Friday.

I'm looking forward to at least several opportunities for optimal radiational cooling on top of our great snowpack and the fresh, dry arctic air, to get our lows well down below 10F and maybe even close to zero.  It's definitely a possibility to watch for as early as tomorrow night if there are no winds.

59 minutes ago, canderson said:

Someone should tell ABC27 you don’t measure snow officially from a parking lot. Edit to add: I don’t mean to be snarky. But you are a meteorologist at a news station. 

Lol, what's he measuring... on a windshield?

31 minutes ago, canderson said:

Damn 22 dead (likely to rise) in Lee County, Alabama, after a tornado ripped through. 

Had my roof lifted off while I was in a closet from a tornado in 1997 and will never understand how we weren’t killed. 

Yeah I can't imagine how bad a huge tornado like that might be. The EF1 that came by my house last may had some of the craziest winds I've ever seen. There was a ton of damage. I can't imagine going through something stronger than that.