Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS thread Feb 20-21, 2019

wdrag

2 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I noticed this with the last event, it was slightly colder with more snow when I was in Commack. I finished with 1.2”.

And I recall last winter when you went subzero while here and ISP bottomed out at +2°, I wonder if elevation/topography plays a role. Would the terminal moraine even rise high enough for a slight cold air damming affect?

Not sure. Jaynes Hill is 400 feet so that and it’s inland location definitely makes it colder. I think some of the lower lying “valleys” hang on to the cold longer than the wide open flat areas further south. Nw Suffolk is also the hilliest part of the island, so maybe it could be slight damming.

• Like 2

Just now, psv88 said:

Not sure. Jaynes Hill is 400 feet so that and it’s inland location definitely makes it colder. I think some of the lower lying “valleys” hang on to the cold longer than the wide open flat areas further south. Nw Suffolk is also the hilliest part of the island, so maybe it could be slight damming.

I'm a mile or so NE of Jayne's Hill and it's quite hilly here (at least compared to Long Beach). Haven't seen actual freezing rain enough to leave a decent glaze in quite a while. In LB, freezing rain is quite rare. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I'm a mile or so NE of Jayne's Hill and it's quite hilly here (at least compared to Long Beach). Haven't seen actual freezing rain enough to leave a decent glaze in quite a while. In LB, freezing rain is quite rare. 

You live in one of the colder and snowier areas on the island there. Your elevation is likely around 300 feet, definitely helpful in marginal storms

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Temps are already right around 30-32 and upper 30s out by KJFK. 

Yea I get that, I'm not saying its an epic ice storm but for the city any sustained ZR is unusual. It's just odd to see the coastal front set up so close to the coast, upper 30s as you said immediate ocean but 30-32 for northern parts of the city and barely budging  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HVSnowLover said:

Yea I get that, I'm not saying its an epic ice storm but for the city any sustained ZR is unusual. It's just odd to see the coastal front set up so close to the coast, upper 30s as you said immediate ocean but 30-32 for northern parts of the city and barely budging  

Yeah still freezing rain here in the bx. 31 now. Didnt get up to 30 degrees until after 10pm. So not major but still noteworthy icing up here. 

• Like 1

Just now, gravitylover said:

29* and moderate rain mixed with large mangled, aggregate flakes. Everything is completely iced over now. A car just went down the street and it sounded like a plow going by as it slowly rolled through the ice. I'm over this winter...

Yea for the coast the story of the winter has been rain, rain, rain, a bit inland it's been ice storm after storm.