Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
OBS thread Feb 20-21, 2019

wdrag

28 minutes ago, psv88 said:

This will be the difference from south shore. THey are approaching freezing now and you will stay below freezing and ZR until 11 pm.

I wouldn't be sure we always say this kind of stuff and then temps go above freezing quicker than expected. Right now I would expect Northern NYC and north shore to stay frozen through at least 9 and will revisit then.

Just now, HVSnowLover said:

I wouldn't be sure we always say this kind of stuff and then temps go above freezing quicker than expected. Right now I would expect Northern NYC and north shore to stay frozen through at least 9 and will revisit then.

Temp has risen a degree in the last hour and it’s 28.5. We aren’t spiking 4 degrees in an hour 

1 minute ago, Cfa said:

Idk, it’s pretty close here, 3 degrees in 41 minutes, 29 to 32. I’m not too far away from you.

West of the Saktikos and north of the LIE is a different world. We’ll hang on to ZR until at least 10. Check out weather underground map. South shore at or above freezing, north shore and western Suffolk in upper 20s. Usually takes a few hours for the warm air to work it’s way up here 

14 minutes ago, psv88 said:

West of the Saktikos and north of the LIE is a different world. We’ll hang on to ZR until at least 10. Check out weather underground map. South shore at or above freezing, north shore and western Suffolk in upper 20s. Usually takes a few hours for the warm air to work it’s way up here 

Yea I'd said we'd revisit at 9 and theres no strong warm air push with this, only areas that seem to be above freezing are south shore and southern parts of Brooklyn/Queens. Temps rising less than 1 degree an hour for most of the metro area.

23 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I see, LI climo is quirky. I’m east of the Sagtikos and next to the LIE, neither south or north shore. ZR here still, though I’m now technically above freezing at 32.4, rainfall/snowmelt slowly beginning to accumulate in my PWS’s rain gauge.

2 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Yea I'd said we'd revisit at 9 and theres no strong warm air push with this, only areas that seem to be above freezing are south shore and southern parts of Brooklyn/Queens. Temps rising less than 1 degree an hour for most of the metro area.

29.7 at 9 pm. Another hour and we will start to melt

Just now, Cfa said:

I see, LI climo is quirky. I’m east of the Sagtikos and next to the LIE. ZR here still, though I’m now technically above freezing at 32.4, rainfall/snowmelt beginning to accumulate in my PWS’s rain gauge.

29.7 here. Many times driving west there is a clear change to colder and snowier around exit 54 on the LIE. And coming from the south once you get about a mile south of the LIE on north. 

I have even seen a big difference between Hauppauge and Commack, where Commack was snowing for hours with 2” down and Hauppauge mixing.

Heavy moisture laden snow just came crashing down from my solar panels and shook the whole house. There was no mention of this when they were pitching them to me. If I had been standing on the back patio I would have been flattened. And I was just out there shoveling prior ( a pointless exercise on so many levels but I digress )

22 minutes ago, psv88 said:

29.7 here. Many times driving west there is a clear change to colder and snowier around exit 54 on the LIE. And coming from the south once you get about a mile south of the LIE on north. 

I have even seen a big difference between Hauppauge and Commack, where Commack was snowing for hours with 2” down and Hauppauge mixing.

I noticed this with the last event, it was slightly colder with more snow when I was in Commack. I finished with 1.2” which was actually less than what ISP got (2.0”), I normally track closely with ISP with snowfall.

Also, I recall last winter when you went subzero while here and ISP bottomed out at +2°, I wonder if elevation/topography plays a role. Does the terminal moraine even rise high enough for a slight cold air damming affect?