Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WAA Snow/Mix/Obs Weds-Thurs 02/20-02/21

dryslot

16 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

what happened with this? GXY still showing 3-4". Oh well, on to sunday's mess.

Definitely under performed out here as well. 1.8" No sleet yet, although some models (HRRR?) didn't show it arriving until around 10am. Nice gentle cover on evergreens and bare branches, but about 18" would have made me a lot happier. Heading out on cross country skis shortly. 

Had 3.5" at 6:30 with SN-, and saw some halfway decent flakes at 5 when it was mod/hvy.  Actually a decent ratio, 0.27" LE for 13:1, easily best of season for a 3"+ event.  Still SN- here in Augusta and some echoes over home area, so we may reach 4" there.  Nice little event - roads snow-covered until we passed Belgrade town hall, at which point it was a wet 2-track with some slop between tracks; more salt there, I guess.  On Mile Hill got behind a Kia Soul which was behind the plow, and noted that the car wasn't even keeping up with the truck.  Got past both safely and had 10 miles of "free" travel before getting stuck in a long line, which was moving 40-45, so not tragic.

This event over-achieved at mi casa .. 
Ended up just shy of 3" with .1" accretion sealing over.   Now I'm not sure who said she said he said what ... but I saw on-camera Met's with "C-2" pretty much unilaterally, and the tenor in here was for less impact, too.  So, this was assumed for whatever reason to less..  It's not a huge bust or anything, but it's a subtle one and a bit of an irony given to the theme of this winter.
OT, I'm at 27" for the season... 

Agree
For Boston area, C-2 followed by hours of plain rain was the pervasive TV forecast (with notable exception of TWC’s invariable hysteria).

Ironic for how relatively quiet it was in this forum last night, the 5z-7z period produced nicely, as anticipated from eyeballed good crosshair signature on multiple mesos.

KBOS accumulated an additional 1.3” from 12-1:30am, and never changed to plain rain.

RGEM and GFS were way too warm even through 18z Wed.

Euro and NAM did ok, and HRRRs nailed the 5z-7z period.

16 hours ago, SnowBrosForever said:

Curious where you got your snow stake. How many do you have? I was thinking of putting 2-3 around our property. We are expecting 3-5 inches of snow beginning about 11pm with the evil twin, sleet, making another guest appearance. Plow crew at the ready. 

Homemade, from a common 2x4, pointed at the bottom (chainsaw), painted white, then with the staggered black stripes so I can determine depth to the nearest inch from about 20 yards away.  This past fall I re-painted it for the 2nd time since making it for the 1977-78 season.  (Had a crude affair made from a rough old 1x8 board for 76-77, upgraded for the following year.)  I drive a taller stick into the ground right behind the stake and tie the 2 together to ensure the stake remains vertical until freeze-up.  Early snow caught me this fall, and I didn't get the stake in place until the depth was already 8-9".  Most years upon melt-off, I find the ground has settled an inch in relation to the stake (even though I usually stomp the ground around the base - except this season) , so my late winter readings are probably a bit conservative.

Thanks to all for the nice comments about the cabin.  We've never been able to have a nice waterfront camp, so this is our substitute.  It came with 40 acres of recently cutover land, and a year later we bought the 40 acre lot next to it, which gave us the full perimeter of a +/-15-acre beaver flowage - empty since 2011.  It was the first place we'd walked through (2-3 days after Christmas 1996) when looking to move from Gardiner to someplace closer to my (then) office in Farmington, but were a bit put off by the tiny impractical bathroom.  By January of 1998 we'd done drive-bys on well over 100 places and had showings at a couple dozen, when we said "What about that cabin in New Sharon?"  Had a 2nd showing, decided we could fix the bathroom issue, and moved in on May 15th, though I didn't get the instruments in place until the 17th.  We'd had closings on the 15th for both the Gardiner and New Sharon places, were moving stuff (that wouldn't fit in the van we'd hired) until near midnight on the 1st really warm day (mid 80s) of the year, and slept very soundly that night.  Sept. of that year we enlarged the bathroom by "stealing" 3 feet from the adjacent bedroom, which became our computer/office room.

• Like 2

Just now, tamarack said:

Homemade, from a common 2x4, pointed at the bottom (chainsaw), painted white, then with the staggered black stripes so I can determine depth to the nearest inch from about 20 yards away.  This past fall I re-painted it for the 2nd time since making it for the 1977-78 season.  (Had a crude affair made from a rough old 1x8 board for 76-77, upgraded for the following year.)  I drive a taller stick into the ground right behind the stake and tie the 2 together to ensure the stake remains vertical until freeze-up.  Early snow caught me this fall, and I didn't get the stake in place until the depth was already 8-9".  Most years upon melt-off, I find the ground has settled an inch in relation to the stake (even though I usually stomp the ground around the base - except this season) , so my late winter readings are probably a bit conservative.

Thanks to all for the nice comments about the cabin.  We've never been able to have a nice waterfront camp, so this is our substitute.  It came with 40 acres of recently cutover land, and a year later we bought the 40 acre lot next to it, which gave us the full perimeter of a +/-15-acre beaver flowage - empty since 2011.  It was the first place we'd walked through (2-3 days after Christmas 1996) when looking to move from Gardiner to someplace closer to my (then) office in Farmington, but were a bit put off by the tiny impractical bathroom.  By January of 1998 we'd done drive-bys on well over 100 places and had showings at a couple dozen, when we said "What about that cabin in New Sharon?"  Had a 2nd showing, decided we could fix the bathroom issue, and moved in on May 15th, though I didn't get the instruments in place until the 17th.  We'd had closings on the 15th for both the Gardiner and New Sharon places, were moving stuff (that wouldn't fit in the van we'd hired) until near midnight on the 1st really warm day (mid 80s) of the year, and slept very soundly that night.  Sept. of that year we enlarged the bathroom by "stealing" 3 feet from the adjacent bedroom, which became our computer/office room.

PVC pipe with permanent magic marker works good too. You can also buy fancier ones online

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

PVC pipe with permanent magic marker works good too. You can also buy fancier ones online

I liked the wider board, to allow sufficient stripe-stagger so I could distinguish among the 3",6", and 9" marks.  Plus I'm a cheapskate.  ;)

Snow briefly to moderate in Augusta, but the sun is clearly visible thru the clouds, so it's the last gasp here.  Echoes gone at home 1/2 hour ago, and I suspect the sun/warmth will melt off the board before I get home, but the bucket will probably still have the after-6:30 snow un-melted.

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I liked the wider board, to allow sufficient stripe-stagger so I could distinguish among the 3",6", and 9" marks.  Plus I'm a cheapskate.  ;)

Snow briefly to moderate in Augusta, but the sun is clearly visible thru the clouds, so it's the last gasp here.  Echoes gone at home 1/2 hour ago, and I suspect the sun/warmth will melt off the board before I get home, but the bucket will probably still have the after-6:30 snow un-melted.

Tamarack,   the only problem with a wider board I have found is if its a drier snow with wind, it tends to cause more drifting.  The round PVC lessons that.  I bought a fancy wrought iron one last year on the web with holes and it works great but if your looking to do it cheaply that wouldn't be for you. 

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

OK, Many thanks for the great info. Appreciate the details. Good summer project along with relocating my weather station. Your place looks great. Waterfront property is a lot more work and far greater potential for wind damage. Better things to do than repair the same stuff every other spring.....

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Tamarack,   the only problem with a wider board I have found is if its a drier snow with wind, it tends to cause more drifting.  The round PVC lessons that.  I bought a fancy wrought iron one last year on the web with holes and it works great but if your looking to do it cheaply that wouldn't be for you. 

Fortunately, we're in the woods so major drifting isn't common - pi-day 2017 was an exception.  Another disadvantage of the 2x4 is that even light winds can pile snow a bit against the marked side, and moist snow will stick to the paint more than to PVC.  Was an issue with the 24.5" dump of Feb. 22-23, 2009.  I know the depth got to over 50", at least briefly, but couldn't read the numbers until several hours later when it had settled to 49, still deepest I've had here.

36 minutes ago, tamarack said:

So your data is incomplete? :whistle:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This event over-achieved at mi casa .. 

Ended up just shy of 3" with .1" accretion sealing over.   Now I'm not sure who said she said he said what ... but I saw on-camera Met's with "C-2" pretty much unilaterally, and the tenor in here was for less impact, too.  So, this was assumed for whatever reason to less..  It's not a huge bust or anything, but it's a subtle one and a bit of an irony given to the theme of this winter.

OT, I'm at 27" for the season... 

I did well in this one...had 1-3" remaining ice near 495...actually ended up being more like 128, but decent call.

• Like 1