Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
WAA Snow/Mix/Obs Weds-Thurs 02/20-02/21

dryslot

45 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

My sleet from 2 storms ago is still around, even on parts of my neighbors driveway, if it was snow it would have been gone a while ago. I will take sleet over rain anyday... 

If it was snow it would’ve been 3x as much. I think snow water equiv is the biggest factor for staying power. 1” sleet or 3” of snow...same thing. Although maybe the snow can sublimate a bit faster. 

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Snow definitely sublimates quicker 

Sure...but 10:1 snow won't sublimate like a 25:1 and you have to factor in the amount of wind and RH before the next system arrives. A few days of 30% RH arctic cold after the fluff we just has up here sublimates it relatively quickly. Cloudy, calm, raw days naso much.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Sure...but 10:1 snow won't sublimate like a 25:1 and you have to factor in the amount of wind and RH before the next system arrives. A few days of 30% RH arctic cold after the fluff we just has up here sublimates it relatively quickly. Cloudy, calm, raw days naso much.

Sure, all of that is basic

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

How much of it you think is sublimation or is it just compaction that's acting on it?

Just now, powderfreak said:

How much of it you think is sublimation or is it just compaction that's acting on it?

With the wind and low RH we had? probably 50/50. This fluff has a lot of trapped air and the wind continually feeding low RH through it speeds up the sublimation process. I should take a core of the fluff on top of the pack to see how much of the 0.13" remains from Monday.

Just now, dendrite said:

With the wind and low RH we had? probably 50/50. This fluff has a lot of trapped air and the wind continually feeding low RH through it speeds up the sublimation process. I should take a core of the fluff on top of the pack to see how much of the 0.13" remains from Monday.

Ha I was just thinking that.  Be curious to see what the water loss is from sublimation.  I think I've got about an inch left of what was 3" of pure fluff.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not speaking for everywhere (deterministically) but... radar is presently snow-bombing that same region of southern PA so...  there's some semblance of verification to that regardless of ending total exactness

That part of SW PA has a lot of country above 2000' - some spots on the PA Pike go over 2500.  I've never checked out climo for the Laurel Highlands, but would guess it catches considerable snow.

GFS op removing qpf, as usual for the 24 hours leading up to the event.  Had close to 0.6" yesterday for our general area, now .3-.4.  Still thinking 4-6 for the foothills.  Overperformer might get the pack to 40", but that's a longshot.

Just now, tamarack said:

That part of SW PA has a lot of country above 2000' - some spots on the PA Pike go over 2500.  I've never checked out climo for the Laurel Highlands, but would guess it catches considerable snow.

GFS op removing qpf, as usual for the 24 hours leading up to the event.  Had close to 0.6" yesterday for our general area, now .3-.4.  Still thinking 4-6 for the foothills.  Overperformer might get the pack to 40", but that's a longshot.

What is your pack at now?

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What is your pack at now?

35" this morning.  Monday's 1.9" had only 0.04" LE, so depth is back to Sunday's mark.  It's solid, too.  The 11" carried over from December probably held 3" water, and we've had 7.5" LE since then, with at least 80% (and probably closer to 90) still there - likely approaching 9" water in total.  Getting to be time to take a sample, and with all the layers and crusts, that will be a challenge to measure accurately and not wreck the outer tube of my Stratus.

22 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Must be close to 34"+ if 6 gets him to 40"

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

35" this morning.  Monday's 1.9" had only 0.04" LE, so depth is back to Sunday's mark.  It's solid, too.  The 11" carried over from December probably held 3" water, and we've had 7.5" LE since then, with at least 80% (and probably closer to 90) still there - likely approaching 9" water in total.  Getting to be time to take a sample, and with all the layers and crusts, that will be a challenge to measure accurately and not wreck the outer tube of my Stratus.

I figured you were close, After this one i'm only 20" behind.................:lol: