Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

nj2va

3 hours ago, usedtobe said:

If you want icing, hope the precip stays on the light side, otherwise the freezing on contact will reolease too much latent heat to get you the icing you crave,

+1.  When it is raining moderately, my temp raises to 32F.  When it is light or stops, it immediately drops to 31F.

3 minutes ago, das said:

+1.  When it is raining moderately, my temp raises to 32F.  When it is light or stops, it immediately drops to 31F.

Same principle applied to citrus growers in FL when they spray water on their produce during freezing threats.  The water helps protect the citrus from freezing.  Very counterintuitive.  

I have a fun fact. BWI has recorded 20+ inches of snow in March 4 times in the past 135 years. All 4 times BWI was below climo for the season heading into March. Last time was in March of 1960. Some may look at that and say it's super rare, I look at it and say we're DUE lol. 

In all seriousness, I enjoyed this storm and it got me to 15.5 inches for the season. So one more moderate snow or a couple small ones and I'll get to climo. 

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, Yeoman said:
Any power flickers yet? We're way overdue for that report to come in

We might get 3 hecs in a season before we get one real ice storm

Unfortunately we had our 20+ yr ice  storm back in Nov.... drive across Afton Mountain towards Waynesboro, looks like a giant hand of God karate chopped the tops off of every single tree ...

35 minutes ago, Jrlg1181 said:

Unfortunately we had our 20+ yr ice  storm back in Nov.... drive across Afton Mountain towards Waynesboro, looks like a giant hand of God karate chopped the tops off of every single tree ...

Agree. Shenandoah national park has had two terrible ice storms this year but that's a pretty different climate with most of it above 2500 feet. But yeah, they're still cleaning up trails from November. It was the worst ice storm in a long time up there. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Rock solid event today. Over 5" snow, heavy rates for a couple hours, daytime snow, instant stickage, thundersnow/sleet for a few lucky folks, complete road coverage, sleet and zr topper, minimal rain after snow tapered off and my yard exceeded climo...  Helluva lot to like right there!

It was pretty much a classic 3-6” DC snowstorm. Low to our west, Thump then flip. Stubborn CAD.  I appreciate a clean snowstorm, but I also like these. Part of our climo and body of work. If one only enjoys a clean storm, they’re not going to be very happy in DC metro. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Rock solid event today. Over 5" snow, heavy rates for a couple hours, daytime snow, instant stickage, thundersnow/sleet for a few lucky folks, complete road coverage, sleet and zr topper, minimal rain after snow tapered off and my yard exceeded climo...  Helluva lot to like right there!

Well said. You have a lot of serenity. Puts this unusual hobby in perspective.