• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald

2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Picking back up quickly.  That yellow band that's about to cross the Potomac looks fun. 

Yeah, bigger and fluffier aggregates starting to mix in here.

Intense rates right now with nice dendrites....as soon as the yellows popped the flake size got much better.

28/26

Eyeballing an easy 1".  So 1" in the first hour and that was with a ~15-20 minute lull that just ended.  

Solid SN+ right now. Measured 2.1" at 8:00

Now am currently at 19.1" on the year! I'd imagine that's just about above average snowfall, and with a month of potential snow events (materializing or not) to go. Neat stuff. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, leesburg 04 said:

Well there goes my 2.8" guess...passed that I'm sure 

If it's any consolation, you actually have 3.2" for IAD as a guess in the contest. I knew as soon as I dropped my IAD guess a half-inch it would probably kill me. :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, Deer Whisperer said:

had 1.1" an hour ago before we got a great band for about 5 minutes, lol... east pwc doing its thing. gonna go take another measurement 

Got well over 2 in here, about 8 miles to your west. 3 inches is a lock, at least. 

• Like 1

In all seriousness though, what is the reason for no snow yet in Baltimore? Is it the dry air winning?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

Yeah, I might be just enough north to stay in it

The only thing you need to worry about is the flip to sleet timing. Stop trying to extrapolate something that isn't going to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, snjókoma said:

Highly recommend you get yourself into a yellow band. Thick, low visibility rippage.

i've been willing the yellows, not a whole lot of luck. still have a good amount of snow so far

Snow really ramping up in intensity with the band from west of Frederick.  Northern Md looks to be getting shallacked for the next few hours. Meso had 1 to 2" PH rates starting soon.

-sn

1 minute ago, Steve25 said:

In all seriousness though, what is the reason for no snow yet in Baltimore? Is it the dry air winning?

It's the orientation of the precip field. PSU explained it well a couple of days ago. It's not a n-s orientation but rather w to e. Look at the radar to our west. We are going to do great here very soon.

• Like 1