Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

nj2va

Just now, snjókoma said:

.... or is my PWS reading too warm by a little?

Quite possible. 

Install 4 different units around your site and get 4 different readings. 

We have so much nice gadgetry these days that it's tempting to unpack the box and expect it to be right. But it's often not.

I had a met friend in the old days who had , (at one time) 15 instrument shelters in his yard in Burtonsville. Learned a lot.

20 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

The flip wasn’t so bad.  It flipped to sleet and then drizzle.  At least it didn’t flip to pouring rain and wash everything away.  My yard is still covered.  

Yeah I mean this is probably the best we could've gotten out of this event (aside from the dryslot hours, lol). Will still have snowcover to enjoy for another, er...24-48 hours? Lol

13 hours ago, Stormpc said:

Then you must be young or new to the area. We got 4 inches of sleet on top of 13 inches of snow during PD II. Woodbridge does sleet very well. 

Roger that! That was Feb 12-14 2003. I was in Harrisonburg with my ski friends for that one. Talk about whiteout on I 81!

Also, Feb 9 1994, storm started out as freezing rain at 19 degrees. Then it changed to HEAVY SLEET and it POURED heavy pingers for hours. We wound up with 3-4 inches of sleet otg which glaciated overnight. Then it was FUN FUN FUN to jebwalk on! I saw ppl with digging bars trying to remove the stuff. It would warm to 48 degrees, little pools of water formed on top of the glacier then it just froze again at night lol.

Good Times.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Roger that! That was Feb 12-14 2003. I was in Harrisonburg with my ski friends for that one. Talk about whiteout on I 81!

Also, Feb 9 1994, storm started out as freezing rain at 19 degrees. Then it changed to HEAVY SLEET and it POURED heavy pingers for hours. We wound up with 3-4 inches of sleet otg which glaciated overnight. Then it was FUN FUN FUN to jebwalk on! I saw ppl with digging bars trying to remove the stuff. It would warm to 48 degrees, little pools of water formed on top of the glacier then it just froze again at night lol.

Good Times.

That Feb '94 storm was one of the legends. I was in Arlington where it was also 19 degrees and absolutely pouring rain. Standing there looking out the door saying "What the...?" A lot of people don't believe it when I cite it, and I was almost beginning to doubt my own memory. Thanks for confirming!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Meh it's not surprising.  Anybody who believed that we'd be in the 50s today is a fool. 

and... since us who believe we would be in the 50s today are fools, what do you classify mets like yourself that make such a completely wrong claim like you did here?  Not being in 50s today?  what do you call them

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unfeatured this topic