Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

nj2va

15 minutes ago, mattskiva said:

That's a lot of sleet!

(apparently an artifact of the forecast changing from "snow and sleet" to "freezing rain and sleet")

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 2.00.47 PM.png

I would not have believed you until I checked for near DCA:

Freezing rain and sleet. High near 33. East wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. Total daytime sleet accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Was LWX trying to invoke St. Patrick's Day 2017?

Or had they run out of water at Sterling and had to resort to stronger stuff?

((I'm joking, but there was a situation when a (NON NWS) conference staff suite ran out of cola on Sunday morning....))

:lmao:

I'm hoping this was just some ham-handed mistake by whatever tired intern dragged up from his sleeping bag got told to update.

12 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Verified WSW, 2nd biggest event of the winter, climo topper, and a period of 2-3”/hr rates.

LAME

Hah, I can understand being a bit disappointed because the ending was anti-climatic and I'll admit it left a bitter taste in my mouth, but least exciting snow event of the year? It was probably my most exciting. The 2-3 inch/hr rates were awesome!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yea it was a 2 or 3 hour bang then a lotta nothing.  2nd half really underwhelming.

Maybe you crushed it with the January storm, but it hasn't exactly been a winter filled with great events. Getting crushed with snow for a couple hours certainly should rate highly in this crappy winter.

36 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I had a personal forecast of 2-4 inches for Balt. City....and sure enough we got exactly 4"! Lol Of course there's a good dose of "what could have been"-itis here...but still not a bad event!

we all want another 96/16, but these types of storms are the reality.  what's nice is that the concern of a gully washer rain has held off for now, so the first part of this was a legit snowstorm.  those other great storms generally had a nice h5 pass.  this was essentially an overrunning event due to a screaming jet and near perfectly timed cold high to the north.

5 minutes ago, 87storms said:

we all want another 96/16, but these types of storms are the reality.  what's nice is that the concern of a gully washer rain has held off for now, so the first part of this was a legit snowstorm.  those other great storms generally had a nice h5 pass.  this was essentially an overrunning event due to a screaming jet and near perfectly timed cold high to the north.

(Suprised ya didn't mention 2009/10, 2003, etc, haha) Wouldn't say storms like this one are THE reality, but rather what's more common. A big storm can become the reality anytime of year...but the likelihood? Very inconsistent, lol

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

Yeah, this is the last time I believe in ZR down here. Busted on that front more than a few times this year. 

I looked at my trees and they have icicles.  Interesting.  Let’s face it most of our events are mixed bag mess.  I just want one more to hunt track and kill before I spread mulch.