Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

nj2va

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Doesn't seem like 1 inch of precip is going to happen. Unless something changes, models will bust badly on precip.

Yea nothing saw that dryslot blasting across MD around noon like that. Just about all guidance had the heaviest precip here and northeast MD between 12-3. It’s not that we got it early it’s just the band literally fell apart due to some kind of dry air intrusion to the north of the convective band to our south. My snow accumulation was about where it should have been at 12:30 but I was supposed to get another 2-4” sn/pl between 12:30-3 or so.  

Not a disaster. 4” isn’t bad.  It’s a low bust though when forecast was 6-8”. I kind of thought that was a little high though. My expectation was more 5-7. Still fell slightly short. 

Ok I haven’t looked at the long range since yesterday...time to dig in and figure out where the 16” I still need to get to climo is coming from!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Doesn't seem like 1 inch of precip is going to happen. Unless something changes, models will bust badly on precip.

Yeah the cold held but precip busted low, more so in eastern areas. although generally less was forecast here. Still a bit surprising my totals are going to be half of what was forecast, and not because of the warm nose, which also was not very well forecast. Still snowing here with a bit of sleet mixed in, and not much more to come per radar.

25 minutes ago, DSF said:

I had kind of assumed this would be one and done, but now I'm wondering about school tomorrow. Streets around here haven't been plowed, it'll be interesting to see what happens tonight. 

I think they are all hoping (as I am) that the overnight blowtorch will take care of it, if the DOTbergmakers haven't.

But as usual, tune into your favorite newspeddlers at 4 am again.

Snow coming to an abrupt end here.  Came down hard the last three hours but the back edge moved in quickly.   

2.5 inches and that is decent for it starting at 9:30 AM.  Might have to shovel, and clear the cars.  28 degrees. 

Roads pretty nasty.  Brine did little good here.  

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

1” sleet/snow since I swept my spot. 3.5” total so far. 

Will likely be the last bit as temps are soaring. Up to 31 after being 29.9 just about an hour ago. 

Sleet changing to zr and soon will be just rain after I lose freezing temps

You did slightly better with the sleet than I did -- only 0.8" here since I measured (and swept) with the sleet transition.  Felt like rain when I was out. 

1:05pm - 3.3" (2.5" snow, 0.8" sleet), SSW Franconia/Kingstowne, Fairfax County.