• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

nj2va

For anyone worried about the “hole” to the south, that isn’t our problem from DC north.  The current radar and all the modeling indicates that the second round of precip is from the expansion/enhancement of the shield from the west.  The remaining question is whether that can get here in time to head off the sleet line (which is coming, but can be effectively slowed by heavier precip).

Ob:  Nice fat flakes falling.  Not pouring snow, but not exactly a lazy fall either.

• Like 1

Just now, MN Transplant said:

For anyone worried about the “hole” to the south, that isn’t our problem from DC north.  The current radar and all the modeling indicates that the second round of precip is from the expansion/enhancement of the shield from the west.  The remaining question is whether that can get here in time to head off the sleet line (which is coming, but can be effectively slowed by heavier precip).

Ob:  Nice fat flakes falling.  Not pouring snow, but not exactly a lazy fall either.

Yeah a nice WCB thump there as that whole thing sort of rips east and then almost SE. Weird to see, but will help offset the IP line for a time. 

• Like 2

There are some reduced RhoHV values north and east of Albemarle County indicating sleet mixing. Still > 100 km from the LWX radar. Also, enhanced ZDR values outside of the heaviest bands indicate good ice crystal growth. Decreases in ZDR and large increases in reflectivity (ZH) in the heavier bands indicate an efficient aggregation process as the aggregates lose their horizontal alignment/extreme aspect ratios.

20190220_1237_klwx.thumb.png.e448eb0d16031967efc80266ef67084c.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

NW of DC tucked into the highlands there and NE into MD look pretty good. I think that's where mappy is?

hey Scott -- I see you're stirring up trouble :P 

I'm still sitting under dry air and watching wasted qpf go by on radar. here's hoping that ends soon. I'm due north of Baltimore FWIW