Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2/19-20 Winter Storm Observations

nj2va

4 minutes ago, snjókoma said:

Back edge already visible, about to pass Charlottesville. I'd be shocked DC gets even 2" from this considering how we have to get near freezing first. Most stations in the immediate area 34-36 degrees.

I see you are starting your day with a Little Debbie.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

I'm kind of surprised after looking at the radar.  The snow cuts off pretty quickly south of Richmond so the event this morning doesn't look long lived.  Most mets miscalculated badly on the onset time of the snow, obviously underestimating how strong the dry air was in place.  There's a line of heavy rain west and south of the Mid-Atlantic so as that swings northeast, I would imagine that will be periods of heavy rain this afternoon into the evening hours.   In any rate, I don't see how we're going to get more than 3" in my area.  If you happen to be lucky enough to get under one of those heavier snow cells, it will come down fast and furious but the coverage of those rates isn't all that impressive.  What would be perfect for me is for a few inches to cover the ground and then go to a lighter sleet then no precipitation until the heavier stuff arrives later today.  At least that would minimize excessive rainfall. 

18 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Been up most of the night myself. Our puppy (actually 6 years old but still our puppy) had surgery yesterday and did not take well to the Cone of Shame. Very uptight with it and I was afraid she would hurt herself. So stayed with her and she spent most of the night bugging me for sympathy. Needless to say if I got 2-3 hours of sleep I would be surprised. Have about a pot of coffee in me now in the last hour and it isn't really doing the trick.

Oh man. Sorry to hear. Hopefully the puppy will have some ripping dendrites to watch and distract her from the cone. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

I'm kind of surprised after looking at the radar.  The snow cuts off pretty quickly south of Richmond so the event this morning doesn't look long lived.  Most mets miscalculated badly on the onset time of the snow, obviously underestimating how strong the dry air was in place.  There's a line of heavy rain west and south of the Mid-Atlantic so as that swings northeast, I would imagine that will be periods of heavy rain this afternoon into the evening hours.   In any rate, I don't see how we're going to get more than 3" in my area.  If you happen to be lucky enough to get under one of those heavier snow cells, it will come down fast and furious but the coverage of those rates isn't all that impressive.  What would be perfect for me is for a few inches to cover the ground and then go to a lighter sleet then no precipitation until the heavier stuff arrives later today.  At least that would minimize excessive rainfall. 

Not sure what you mean with the onset part...this has always been a within 1 hour of 7am start time for Baltimore 

• Like 1