Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 19-20th Threat - STORM MODE

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Don’t think I have seen 4 inch per hour but I am willing to see it.  But extreme moisture running into dry cold air seems like recipe for a nuclear snow bomb

While we usually talk about how we fail.  This is the way we go Boom in PWC. If it comes in a little faster with sick rates we could see 6-8 inches with just 4-5 hours of snow before the flip.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Yeah, it actually did. If I was to wager though it was more because of it's overamped bias, took the storm more north than other models did. Not qualified to say though.

Sorry, you only get 2" rates. Sucks to be on the north side of the max band /s

hrdps_asnow_neus_48.png

HDRPS snow output, like the CMC, is genuinely all snow. None of this is sleet/ice.

Man are you in Cville? I'm near the mountains  just south and west of C town, I like our chances for 6+ with this before the sleet and ice storm 

• Like 1

The way things are trending I can see someone getting 1" qpf before the flip.  Most models are in the .4-.7 range but there are a few that are starting to push that 1" mark by noon/18z.  That is one heck of a slug of moisture pushing east at the right time...even some of the typical qpf stingy mesos are juiced up.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone ends up with 4"/hour rates. Even a moderate but juiced up storm can have very impressive banding. December 2013 was another one.

yep, some of the biggies have produced up front, coming in like a wall.  93...96...00...03...though interestingly not so much with 09, 10 and 16...they took some time to get going.  temps obviously help as well.

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Those rates on the RGEM are pretty crazy. .5/.6 of snow in 3 hours = A dumping.

Wouldn't surprise me if there are double digit totals where ever the bullseye is. With the firehouse pointed into the area I would expect 2 to 3"  per hour rates during the morning into mid day hours. 10" + totals in a 30 to 50 mile wide area is definitely on the table Imho.

• Like 1

Well, all I can say is I hope this is the absolute lowest amount of snow possible. It's the Ferrier-based SLR snow map from the 18Z NAM3, which would factor in ptype transition and thus a reduction in SLR. Think (hope?) this is a bit too much of a reduction, but it does give some pause to some of the clown maps out there that are probably overly optimistic with the high end amounts. 

nam3km_asnow_ferrier_neus_61.png

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Finally able to catch up in here. Question—4” an hour rates!? Where is that possible? DC? MD? And if possible, are we starting to run into some thundersnow potential?

Looks like to me that the best chance of that would be west of DC...NOVA. Maybe Warrenton to Leesburg?

1 minute ago, Scraff said:

Finally able to catch up in here. Question—4” an hour rates!? Where is that possible? DC? MD? And if possible, are we starting to run into some thundersnow potential?

Given the general setup, I don't see 4"/hr a possibility. However, 2"/hr is certainly doable, maybe even a touch more. 4"/hr is saved for convective stuff typically found in bombing surface lows within the deformation zone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Scraff said:

No one is getting 4" inch an hour rates. That's Sierra Nevada powder keg stuff.   I think the most I ever measured in an hour in my lifetime was 3 and that was once in 2010 and once in January 2011.  I think Valentines Day 2015 may have came close.. but that was a frontal passage.. freak show event.

In terms of banding.. Check Mappy's post above. You really dont know where the deathband(s) will set up.   Banding is going to be meso and we probably wont have a handle on it until some time tomorrow night or right before game time.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, snowfan said:

It's not happening. Please just ignore that horribly silly post. 

Hahaha. Ok. I should no better. Anyway, would just love nothing more than a few hours of heavies though. Something always magical about Jebwalking in a snow globe. Thanks everyone for the responses though. :)

Just now, Scraff said:

Hahaha. Ok. I should no better. Anyway, would just love nothing more than a few hours of heavies though. Something always magical about Jebwalking in a snow globe. Thanks everyone for the responses though. :)

What are winds going to be like? I like those 2” an hour rates with no wind.  Just puking  snow

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic