Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February 19-20th Threat - STORM MODE

stormtracker

Just now, Deer Whisperer said:

I set my bar at 4” last night. Certainly doable. East pwc looks to be a split line, as it always is

Fall line again.  Seems like a solid bet right now.  I have about a 20 mile distance to 95.  You are a bit closer so watch those temps as will.  Still beats tracking rain and 40.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The NAM is really nasty for the I81 corridor. Basically Luray up to Hagerstown will be awful for travel. Still like 5-8 for the northern Shen Valley with a ton of sleet on top. 

Probably too early to take anything from the NAM verbatim, but 18Z 3k has HGR-MRB-OKV with 0.55"-0.65" QPF as snow, then 0.60-0.80" as sleet with up to 0.25" of 32 degree rain on top.  If that verifies, upper 40's on Thursday will be welcome chain saw weather.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

2" of sleet on top of 4" of snow far exceeds your goal. Your school marms will get the day off and idolize you like you're Bob Chill. All hail King Ji...master of the wintry mix

i prefer the NAM3...it looks like it can keep us snow till 18z before a big sleet event...and we never go to rain.

• Like 2

Just now, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Interesting to see the divergence between LWX and most of the guidance. Seems like most guidance places a general 2-4” around 95, whereas LWX more bullish with 4-8”’. 

I thought they were too bullish in the forecasts for the November storm and the mid-January event.  Both times they nailed it.  They have had a good season at that office imo.

• Like 2

Just now, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Interesting to see the divergence between LWX and most of the guidance. Seems like most guidance places a general 2-4” around 95, whereas LWX more bullish with 4-8”’. 

They can change that closer.  Probably waiting for GFS.  They do a solid job for a tricky forecast.  Don’t envy their position.  Snow is easier than ice in marginal situations.  Tough call no matter what they do. 

17 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

Speaking of lwx, their low end amount IN DC is 2"

and people keep saying 2-4 for max

SnowAmt10Prcntl.png

2-4 actually seems more reasonable than 6-8. Just my opinion based on the guidance. If the initial thump is maximized, then the upper end is attainable. Not really seeing that across guidance tho, and the warming aloft is legit.

Latest WPC probs, (00Z based, though they do not include any of the 18Z guidance, including GEFS, not the 12Z EC ensembles).

First is the 50th percentile (most likely) snow accumulation, then freezing rain. Might be a touch underdone on the fzra along the I95 corridor. Also notice how quickly those snow probs go down after 4", especially east.

Screenshot_20190218-164256_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190218-164204_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190218-163807_Chrome.jpg

20190218_163934.jpg

20190218_163905.jpg

Screenshot_20190218-164030_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190218-164102_Chrome.jpg

55 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

NWS has us in the 6-8 range brother.  They're counting on something that most don't agree with. I figure that 5 inches may be our cap in PWC. More than enough to bring out the toy. This has the makings of a fun storm.

They may have been weighing the gfs/fv3 Heavily.   Rgem and icon were south too. They don’t make those maps just off the NAM and euro. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic