Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 19-20th Threat - STORM MODE

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Surface temps really drop once precip arrives thanks to our low DPs.  Go from 33 at 9z to 29 at 12z.

i think this is gonna be a better run.  high is in a better spot, too.  marginal differences, but it does look a little better (for the city at least).

Just now, wawarriors4 said:

That would imply Sleet fest 2019 is well under way. To me, that may be the trickiest call, if/when we go from sleet to freezing rain or just sleet to rain. Probably depends on when 850 zero line comes North

The warm layer is higher...about 700-750mb.  And the warm nose usually moves north faster than progged in these situations which is doubly concerning when the euro is already the fastest with the warm push.  IF it's right, it's probably only a little snow (1-2") for most of us south of the M/D line before a long sleet storm. 

• Like 2

Just now, WxUSAF said:

The warm layer is higher...about 700-750mb.  And the warm nose usually moves north faster than progged in these situations which is doubly concerning when the euro is already the fastest with the warm push.  IF it's right, it's probably only a little snow (1-2") for most of us south of the M/D line before a long sleet storm. 

Given the trends across guidance the last 24 hours I’m worried our chances of a heavy thump snow are slipping away and it’s becoming more of a messy icy mix threat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WxUSAF said:

This is the outcome that I'm thinking is becoming more likely. We get a 1-3, maybe 2-4" front end snow, then we tack on a lot of sleet and wrapped it up with drizzle, freezing drizzle. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Given the trends across guidance the last 24 hours I’m worried our chances of a heavy thump snow are slipping away and it’s becoming more of a messy icy mix threat. 

Just now, ers-wxman1 said:

18z NAM is a big hit. Solid snowfall area wide then an ice palace west of 95. Serious icing if this is correct. The CAD is very strong. 

Hmmm.  Two good analysts with two different interpretations.  

3 minutes ago, 87storms said:

i think this is gonna be a better run.  high is in a better spot, too.  marginal differences, but it does look a little better (for the city at least).

Yeah, I like the run honestly.  0.45” QPF falls by 18z which should be all or mostly snow considering the 700 line is just barely NE of DC at 18z.  We lose 850s ~21/22z.  Lots of sleet in the afternoon it seems.

I wish I was going to be in Deep Creek for this...looks like a high impact winter storm there...tons of precip out that way with very cold surface temps.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Yeah, I guess it depends what you expect or define as a "heavy thump snow".  I never held out much hope for the type of totals that LWX just put out as the "expected value".  I've been in the 2-4"/3-6" range for MBY, less south, more north, sort of ballpark.  But think there's more risk on the downside for much of the region due to the flip to sleet.  That said, there still could be a small area that jackpots with a combo of lift/snow growth/precip totals.  You're in a good spot for that as per usual.  But either way, I think the snow comes in hot and heavy and probably accumulates close to 1"/hr for the time it falls.  So that is a "heavy thump", just probably more like a 3-4 hour one than a 6-8 hour one.  

• Like 3

Seems to me that for us in/near the cities or along the I95 corridor, we probably have a 4 maybe 5 hr window of accumulatingsnow, taking the NAM timing literally. 7 am through 11-noon. If we can average .50-1.0"/hr during that time, it would equate to 2-4" of snow before the sleet. I have a feeling here in northern AA we'll average 2-3" before the changeover. What happens next (how much accumulating sleet/freezing rain) is a bigger mystery IMO. 

3K NAM appears to have a slightly better orientation of the precip across the area. Thru 21Z Wed, there's .6 QPF for DC and the column is still supporting sleet with the warm layer surging NE at 800-700. By 0Z Wed, DC is still barely holding onto the surface with precip totals approaching .9". Bmore over 1" by then.

This was never gonna be a solid all snow event anyway.  For most off us at least.  But if you want a mixed frozen event that was rain on the models just days ago, it should be a decent showing.  CAD still looks pretty good.  All we can ask. Hi Bob wherever you are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WEATHER53 said:

Need the high further west. That will be the key 

Not sure how much further west you want it, but overall recent guidance seems to at least have it positioned more towards our NE instead of it sliding more to the E/SE. Thats a good trend IMO, and looks to keep the cold in longer.

4 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

18z NAM is a big hit. Solid snowfall area wide then an ice palace west of 95. Serious icing if this is correct. The CAD is very strong. 

Maybe I’m looking at it wrong. I only see about 2-4” across most of our area before it flips to sleet.  I don’t really see any big thumpy snow totals until up in central PA.  Looks like BAD ice though.  Some people are into that. 

6 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

This was never gonna be a solid all snow event anyway.  For most off is at least.  But if you want a mixed frozen event that was rain on the models just days ago, it should be a decent showing.  CAD still looks pretty good.  All we can ask. Hi Bob wherever you are. 

NWS has us in the 6-8 range brother.  They're counting on something that most don't agree with. I figure that 5 inches may be our cap in PWC. More than enough to bring out the toy. This has the makings of a fun storm.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic