Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 23-25th Winter Storm

MNstorms

18 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Wow, been a crazy 5-6 hours so far, pounding snow and 55mph winds, my county has declared a state of emergency (Otsego) all county roads closed. I75 has been closed in both directions. Some of the worst winter weather I have seen since living up here. Picked up about 7" so far, drifts 5-6'. Still no power. 

Never got the big one in my 7 seasons up there..enjoy the ride!

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

No, I'm still here.  I think the severe ice storm a couple weeks ago really cleaned up loose and dead trees along the line out to the main road.  I have a new generator on stand-by anyway... most likely the power will never go out again now.

I think the highest gust here has been around 50 mph, and now I see a diminishing trend in the snow but it's still blowing and swirling around, with occasional twigs, sticks and debris from the woods hitting the windows.  A for real blizzard.

Same here.  Our last ice event wasn't anything too crazy, but the high winds that followed definitely cleaned out a lot of the weaker stuff.  We've also had numerous 40mph+ wind events this winter which likely helped as well.  The power didn't even flicker here while the 50-60mph winds roared most of the day.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mimillman said:

Don’t mean to be rude, but do you choose to live there? Must you stay there for a specific reason, or do you want to be there? This is clearly a risk to all residents in the belts, even if it’s a once in a decade occurrence.

You're not being rude :)

Yes, I choose to live here.  I love the UP and Michigan in general (I was born in sw lower).  My family had a cabin in Copper Harbor when I was a kid and I have so many fond memories there.  Both my parents died when I was a teen, so I was basically on my own at 15, lived with and cared for my Grandma until she passed in 2012.  My love for snow, nature, living a simple life in a remote area without the clutter, influence, and stain of people, and my happy memories from being a kid are mostly why I'm here.  Yes, it's hard at times and def not a place for just anyone to decide to live... Winter's are super long, summer's short, but the peace and happiness I feel here is immense and no place I'd rather be.  The extreme weather/climate that surrounds the big lake is just the cherry on top!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The wind has been relentless now since about 9am yesterday morning. I don't think the wind gusts were maximized in their potential, in fact the peak wind gust at DTW was "only" 55 mph. However it's been gusty the whole time. Lots of flakes blowing in the wind but no real accum. I never lost power but I did lose a branch of my fir tree. Luckily my tree is very large so when looking at it it still looks fine but mother nature has pruned off a big branch in the March 2017 windstorm, some small branches in the March 1st snowstorm last Winter, a few small branches in the ice storm a few weeks ago and now one larger branch (thos) still nowhere near as large as 2017) yesterday. She needs to quit it lol

Map covers the entire storm, including Saturday's WAA snow of 4".  20-22" seems to have fallen here as best I can tell.   There is no settling left to do with the snow pack, the wind seems to have done that pretty much instantly as it fell.  Probably one of the worst storms I have ever seen, with the exception of last April.  That storm had more snow but didn't compare with the winds and the absolute heavy nature of this snow.  This will take a couple days to clear and lots of snow needs removed from the house.  Had a dream last night the roof collapsed.  MQT has seen 87.2" this month and I must be somewhere between 95-100".  I seriously can't keep up with measuring. On a side note, as a result of all the snow this winter to date, I'm probably in the best shape I have ever been in! :D

sfav2_CONUS_48h_2019022512.png.d031d2533ba156cb86e353302c7815d8.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Picked up between 10-12" since yesterday, man what could have been if this thing didn't go over my head. Still pretty decent hit, but the winds were the story. Snow depth back over 30" on the season and that's after the torch and .3 of rain before the front pushed through.   Sad thing is I am almost 20" down for snow on the season still at my location. APX is still over 14" under for the year. Been an odd LES year that's for sure as most other locations are over average for the year.  Cant complain to bad as we did get a awesome Blizzard and their of certainly way more locations far worse this winter for snow and action.  Working from home for a bit longer then need to start the cleanup, should be fun blowing 4-5' drifts!

• Like 2

This will go down as one of the worst storms I've seen. Not really because of snow amount but the blowing and drifting creating consistent white outs. If your travelling outside the GTA today its next to impossible. dozens of road closures and a 50-70 car pileup on the 400 south of barrie has shut that down as well. 

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/02/25/major-pile-up-involving-50-70-vehicles-on-hwy-400-in-barrie/

9 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Ferocious looking blizzard.

Winds were kind of a bust here. Looks like the really strong stuff never mixed down. Max gusts have been around 50.

Winds were decent but nothing extraordinary up here. My fear of high winds and low snow was verified since major white-out conditions were non-existent during the highest gusts. This morning though our snow really started in earnest but not quite blizzard severity <_< . The best use of this event in SON would be watching the ice shove along the lake shore.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

Picked up at least 20 inches, probably more. I don't know. Closest measurement I know of is John Dee and he had a storm total just over 20 inches, but he's about 5-6 miles north of here and several hundred feet lower.

Just finished shoveling my driveway. Having a front loader finish it. lol.

51F26A4C-4268-4F3D-BAB5-7F871AD68F24.jpeg

Do you shovel your whole drive?:fever:

2 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

This will go down as one of the worst storms I've seen. Not really because of snow amount but the blowing and drifting creating consistent white outs. If your travelling outside the GTA today its next to impossible. dozens of road closures and a 50-70 car pileup on the 400 south of barrie has shut that down as well. 

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/02/25/major-pile-up-involving-50-70-vehicles-on-hwy-400-in-barrie/

The hotzone really seems to be from Stratford/KW north to Owen Sound east to Peterborough County and south to the northend of the GTA. Huron and Bruce County really seemed to have escaped the storm even though they were the original blizzard warning and areas east were added last night.

Absolutely wicked storm. I took a short drive to St. Jacob's last night and experienced ferocious whiteouts. Dufferin/Wellington County have been hit hard apparently OPP are coming from as far as Bracebridge with their snowmobiles to get to stranded people. Also heard there are snow drifts as high as 10 feet in those areas. 

• Like 3

^

Well I for one was glad to finally see a blizzard warning, and tbh, with all the heavy snow we see, I’m glad mqt isn’t willy nilly with issuing them. This was a  BLIZZARD, with every bit of criteria met, and for over 12 hours. I’ll never forget it. I now visually understand the difference between a winter storm and a true blizzard.

With all the snow so far, I’ll never look at 3-4’ of snow depth as enough anymore! The bar has been moved this winter for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

It would take me a week to shovel this kind of storm.  I took this pic from the halfway mark down the driveway.  Haven't seen a county plow yet, but a nearby neighbor made a pass down the road.

IMG_8878.JPG.dcc0794eee11d856634265058352333b.JPG

That's just awesome.  You need to come out to this same exact spot and shoot a pic in June/July to get a direct comparison.  I'd make a side by side of that and frame that puppy for the wall.:sled:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

I did not realize Toronto got snow with this one. How much?

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I did not realize Toronto got snow with this one. How much?

Sorry, not much snow in the city itself. Maybe 1" and some areas that got stuck under some more persistent snowsqualls could have seen 2-3". I was more referencing just outside the main GTA. Even there not much 4-8" but it was the blowing and drifting. Environment Canada issued Blizzard warnings for a good chunk of Southern Ontario which is rare to see. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Map covers the entire storm, including Saturday's WAA snow of 4".  20-22" seems to have fallen here as best I can tell.   There is no settling left to do with the snow pack, the wind seems to have done that pretty much instantly as it fell.  Probably one of the worst storms I have ever seen, with the exception of last April.  That storm had more snow but didn't compare with the winds and the absolute heavy nature of this snow.  This will take a couple days to clear and lots of snow needs removed from the house.  Had a dream last night the roof collapsed.  MQT has seen 87.2" this month and I must be somewhere between 95-100".  I seriously can't keep up with measuring. On a side note, as a result of all the snow this winter to date, I'm probably in the best shape I have ever been in! :D

sfav2_CONUS_48h_2019022512.png.d031d2533ba156cb86e353302c7815d8.png

Wow man I'm jealous

I wish I lived in a snowy climate.

• Like 1

We had winds up to 74 mph here which pushed the lake ice up and over some houses along the lakeshore and broke the ice boom. Had 50k people without power including me. Thought we would get some 80 mph wind gusts with this one but not enough mixing. The ice was pushed up into giant ice mountains along the shoreline. It looks like the glacier I hiked in Iceland. GglzNPx.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

We had winds up to 74 mph here which pushed the lake ice up and over some houses along the lakeshore and broke the ice boom. Had 50k people without power including me. Thought we would get some 80 mph wind gusts with this one but not enough mixing. The ice was pushed up into giant ice mountains along the shoreline. It looks like the glacier I hiked in Iceland. GglzNPx.jpg

What kind of sound is made when ice does that? Is it loud?

11 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

I would kill people to figure out how these maps are made. They're never accurate for my area...but they're more accurate than you would expect from the non-existent radar returns we get whenever weatherbo stands up on a ladder.

Lol... that was an intial map. This updated one encompasses the entire storm, should be more to your liking. Its not just based on radar estimation.

2E346A37-5C7E-40C3-9ACC-D4B8BA790B0A.jpeg.eca083cb9ef920700f5f2fd8e9433762.jpeg

• Like 1