• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 23-25th Winter Storm

MNstorms

Two neighbors out blowing snow. Heck with it. I am going to wait until the wind goes down tomorrow. They can stick it where I work. I will be in when I am in. Notice my one furnace vent getting covered. Luckily I have a window over it and was able to stick a shovel out the window to get it cleared. Keep going to get around making the pipe higher. I caught some kind of bug. Very weak and tired today don't really want to climb the bank of snow to get back there.

3 minutes ago, Chambana said:

One of the most insane pictures I have ever seen. I’m drooling. Is this your deepest depth since you moved there? Another foot to go? Goodlord 

I have ridden my sled to some pretty remote parts of the Huron's, and I've seen some deep snow of 5' or so before, but in the 6 years I've lived here, never have I come across snow as deep as it is right now.  There's trees that were bent over from the ice storm a few weeks ago, now their tree tops are getting buried in the snow pack.  17z hrrr still shows a narrow swath of a foot through here too. Howling, horizontal snow currently.

• Like 1

EC "dropping the big hammer" by issuing a blizzard warning for various areas of Midwestern Ontario and the snowbelts:

1:30 PM EST Sunday 24 February 2019
Blizzard warning in effect for:

Dangerous snow squalls with blizzard conditions developing later today.

Temperatures will plummet through the day behind a strong cold front. Snow squalls will develop later this afternoon and combine with very strong westerly winds with gusts of 90 to 110 km/h to produce near zero visibility at times.

The most hazardous conditions are expected tonight, but will improve Monday as winds weaken.

It should be emphasized that the most significant aspect of this event will be from the very poor visibility and high winds and not from the snowfall accumulations. Total snowfall accumulations of 5 to 15 cm are likely by Monday.

This is only the second time I've been under a blizzard warning since I started following, the other of course during the ultimate winter event of my life on January 6 2014. I don't think it'll be as impressive but the greatest event of the winter is definitely incoming!

The winds turned on here about 12:40 pm and they are picking up with howlings just starting. Getting wet snowflakes currently hours ahead of schedule.

• Like 1

Gusting to 52 knots at Houghton MI and that's not as exposed as some places might be. 

Highest gust I could find from the storm was 57 knots at BUF. 

Low is currently located around Elliot Lake ON about 100 miles northeast of SSM at 970 mbs. 

Agree in general with the wording of EC blizzard warning but some local amounts may surprise, Lake Huron has minimal ice cover, betting that a mega-squall band sets up across north-central Simcoe County (Midland-Orillia area) which I have seen in real life a few dozen times, you can get 30-50 cm in a few hours when that one gets going. It was always a question driving north into that area, where do you hit the wall of snow, I could usually tell from wind direction within one or two concession roads in the stretch between Barrie and Orillia (used to live in that area including 1974-78, some big snowfall events that gave a similar outcome to what we're seeing in these pictures). Parallel bands from central Lake Huron further south mostly 20-30 cm max, one probably running Goderich to Listowel roughly and another Bayfield to Stratford, but highly variable amounts likely in banding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (((Will))) said:

Just spent an hour outside digging out my furnace vents. They were almost completely drifted over but luckily the warm air had formed a 2 foot tunnel to the surface of the snow which helped me find them. Could not get to them from outdoors...it's impossible to get through that deep of snow. Had to open up a window, dig through the snow which was about 18 inches above the base of the window. I kept digging from inside the house until I had a bit of a flat surface area to step out onto and start looking. It's friggin windy out there.

It takes a lot to bring the UP to a halt, but from what I'm hearing around the area, it's bad.  I estimate 18-19" here since yesterday, and its so dense.  The snow is swallowing up the house.

Standing down my drive, snow is seriously at my freaking chin taking this pic.  I'm gonna have to shovel the windows out before they smash.

IMG_8842.JPG

IMG_8846.JPG.cff36629626962fe012006603b69e1dc.JPG

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

It takes a lot to bring the UP to a halt, but from what I'm hearing around the area, it's bad.  I estimate 18-19" here since yesterday, and its so dense.  The snow is swallowing up the house.
Standing down my drive, snow is seriously at my freaking chin taking this pic.  I'm gonna have to shovel the windows out before they smash.
IMG_8842.JPG.6674425f58b89de0d661075615a4e09b.JPG
IMG_8846.JPG.cff36629626962fe012006603b69e1dc.JPG
At what point do they declare a state of emergency?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I've only seen snow like that in high elevations of the Selkirk Mountains around here, or in the mid-1970s in Ontario. There was a time in January 1976 when six to eight feet of snow covered most of the London ON region and snowplow drifts were up above ten feet high, the city works people had to go around the side streets placing poles with flags on them to mark the location of fire hydrants. In early April 1975 there was a storm like this one in central Ontario and it closed highways for a week with people stranded in community centres and church basements in towns north of Toronto. But that storm started with only a foot of snow at the most on the ground, so one can only imagine how much worse this one will be for future recovery and travel issues. One thing I can advise (for the Minnesota open country especially) is that if you don't clear the big undulating drifts from driveways etc, they will freeze hard in the freeze-thaw cycle of the strong sunshine and cold temperatures to follow, and when they freeze, they are going to last 2-3 weeks minimum. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AppsRunner said:

May not be as bad as some of the others... but across central Iowa it's still bad. I-35 still shut down between Ames and the border. Route 69 between here and Des Moines almost worse. 

I-35 north of Story City: 

6020925_1551046751.thumb.jpg.d8ba2eaa7feba78afa13ce7deaf03dcd.jpg

Route 69 between Ames and Ankeny: 

6021842_1551047398.thumb.jpg.869be9541e07ca4a280b79785eed428b.jpg

Route 69 north of Story City: 

6019868_1551046020.thumb.jpg.a3d5e655ab465ab0261395bcddd71c98.jpg

Your plow cams have much better picture quality than our's. Also how do they know where the road is.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

I'm guessing Bo lost power...

Winds are really bad out there. Past few hours we've been gusting well in excess of 60mph - as high as 68mph at the airport a few miles south of here at a lower elevation.

No, I'm still here.  I think the severe ice storm a couple weeks ago really cleaned up loose and dead trees along the line out to the main road.  I have a new generator on stand-by anyway... most likely the power will never go out again now.

I think the highest gust here has been around 50 mph, and now I see a diminishing trend in the snow but it's still blowing and swirling around, with occasional twigs, sticks and debris from the woods hitting the windows.  A for real blizzard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow, been a crazy 5-6 hours so far, pounding snow and 55mph winds, my county has declared a state of emergency (Otsego) all county roads closed. I75 has been closed in both directions. Some of the worst winter weather I have seen since living up here. Picked up about 7" so far, drifts 5-6'. Still no power. 

OTSEGO COUNTY, Mich., (WPBN/WGTU) -- A state of emergency has been declared for Otsego County.

Motorists are advised to stay off the roads.

I-75 in both directions is closed to all traffic.

Officials have closed all Otsego County roads.

• Like 2