Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 20 - 21 Winter Storm Threat

NEG NAO

40 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

The 12Z Euro sucks too ? It is siding with the NAM - so how about the GFS ? Have to have an open mind about this situation until close enough to make a good call but I think this is going to be another nowcasting event....

Nothing against you but I've heard that about literally every single winter storm from one poster or another. Is every event just a "nowcast" event? If not, what exactly is the definition of a nowcast event?

• Like 1

Just now, BombsAway1288 said:

Nothing against you but I've heard that about literally every single winter storm from one poster or another. Is every event just a "nowcast" event? If not, what exactly is the definition of a nowcast event?

It means you have to look out your window. And even then, many folks here will not believe you. But yes, someone brings it up every storm. I find it discouraging because it usually means people either don’t know what will happen or don’t want believe the bad news.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

It means you have to look out your window. And even then, many folks here will not believe you. But yes, someone brings it up every storm. I find it discouraging because it usually means people either don’t know what will happen or don’t want believe the bad news.

Jan 19th and last night - expecting forecasted snow to develop and rain drops developed and not a flake of snow both times - case closed !:hurrbear:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

Still not our area chief. need the stuff to come northeast more.

Agree I think Central NJ and possibly even Northern NJ is in better shape with this than NYC since Precip coming from the south and west. it definitely has a chance for NYC though, the NAM and Euro are borderline a big event into the city and the GFS is slowly ticking north although still way off. We'll probably know more by tomorrow.     

Just now, HVSnowLover said:

Agree I think Central NJ and possibly even Northern NJ is in better shape with this than NYC since Precip coming from the south and west. it definitely has a chance for NYC though, the NAM and Euro are borderline a big event into the city and the GFS is slowly ticking north although still way off. We'll probably know more by tomorrow.     

We won't 100% know until it starts to snow :D

But that snow gradient is very sharp near the NJ/NY border. 

• Like 1

I keyed into several sentences from the NYC Forecast Discussion and edited.  Here are three:  

..overall model performance this winter has been subpar regarding similar precipitation type (PTYPE) events, with
too much wintry precip forecast versus actual observations..
..a reasonable worst case scenario with a snowier outcome is for 1-3 inches east and 3-4
inches from NYC on west..
..of note is the 12z European ECMWF Ensemble EPS mean probability for greater than 3 inches is generally less than 30
percent..

So I wouldn't get my hopes up for heavy snow in NYC for the Wednesday-Thursday event.  Unfortunately for snow lovers, only 8.7 inches of snow recorded at Central Park, New York to date this winter.. Anyway-good luck..there is still time this winter and I'll watch from Florida :).

• Like 4

The 18Z Euro is pushing the area of precip slightly more east again.  As I expected we are gradually seeing models not wash out the WAA push as quickly over time though it’s been very subtle.  Still would most want to be in Harrisburg for this event.  Definitely seems Upton and Mt Holly aren’t in great agreement near their FA boundaries 

19 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The 18Z Euro is pushing the area of precip slightly more east again.  As I expected we are gradually seeing models not wash out the WAA push as quickly over time though it’s been very subtle.  Still would most want to be in Harrisburg for this event.  Definitely seems Upton and Mt Holly aren’t in great agreement near their FA boundaries 

Yea Central PA looks like a sweet spot with this but each run seems to creep the good snow closer and closer to the city, I know theres a lot of pessimism right now because of last night but this is not an event I would take lightly given a 50 mile NE shift of the precip is far from impossible in these setups.  

Just now, HVSnowLover said:

Yea Central PA looks like a sweet spot with this but each run seems to creep the good snow closer and closer to the city, I know theres a lot of pessimism right now because of last night but this is not an event I would take lightly given a 50 mile NE shift of the precip is far from impossible in these setups.  

Don’t forget the SE ridge flexing and the entire plume being further north to occur too.  The Euro at least down across the MA has consistently been north of almost every other model 

33 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

NAM gives more snow to NYC than it does to DC, not saying its right

I fully expected this would come north.  The trend all year has been that way.  North itself doesn’t totally help us because we still need the WAA push to maintain but under the assumption models were washing it out too fast the north push combined with it is what we need 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I fully expected this would come north.  The trend all year has been that way.  North itself doesn’t totally help us because we still need the WAA push to maintain but under the assumption models were washing it out too fast the north push combined with it is what we need 

Yea need it both to go north but also to push east faster and maintain, this is going to be a really tough call. A lot of models now have the push either stopping just before the city or getting just into the city  

We aren’t seeing 7-12 like some areas near DC might but we could see 3-6 for sure.  This is pretty similar to December 2013.  The high isn’t in as good a spot but the setup is close in that we aren’t near the best dynamics.  We still saw 4-5 in that event and 3-4 days out expected almost nothing.  PHL and ILM I believe saw 9 and 11 that day 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

NAM gives more snow to NYC than it does to DC, not saying its right

But far less frozen mass - DC gets 1" of LE as frozen (80% sleet), which has the mass of 10" of snow, whereas NYC gets 0.4-0.5" LE frozen, most of which is snow, but less than half the frozen mass.  As per the 0Z NAM.