• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 19-20th winter storm

Radtechwxman

They expanded the winter storm warnings west and we already hit/exceeded our projected totals here in the Brookings area, and I'd imagine if there's 4-5 inches here there's 7-9 inches in Sioux Falls looking at this radar loop.  That puts us around 20-22 inches of snow depth in Brookings (we in the middle of the coteau des prairies and often have much higher snow depth than SF because it stays more consistently cold here)   I don't think they'll be having our little Kaizen meeting today at 7AM for my other crew at work.  I always find it odd that they issued no travel advised if the wind is stronger when the wind actually blows this fluffy snow off of road surfaces out here. I wouldn't bother driving anywhere right now looking at cams of I-29/90... they don't issue "no travel advised"  when winds are calm and the roads completely snow covered but they will when there's wind which blows the snow off the roads. Go figure. 

Rooting for more this weekend!

WUNIDS_map.gif

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Absolute rippage in Mankato, definitely looks like work sent me to the bullseye on this one.  Rough estimate of around 4-5” in the parking lot. 

I'm near Mankato as well. Radar has a train of heavy snow going over me over and over. Sun is coming up and it's coming down hard. Pictures soon.

WUNIDS_map.gif.8df1d842b77d8e4dd52c5efe68997631.gif

• Like 1

Pictures from my home east of Brookings, SD. There was another heavier band moving over as I took them. Another 7 inches or so. 20-25" of snow depth, and my back yard north facing has between 2.5 and 5 feet of snow in most of the yard thanks in part to the neighbor's privacy fence. The little hump next to the deck is my gas grill.   My town is unusually good about getting out to plow early so they cleared the roads already. I wouldn't be able to get very far if I tried to leave town though.  All the schools in this part of the state are closed. Only people who have lived in the middle of nowhere can understand. :p According to locals this is still nothing compared to the winter of 1996-1997 though. 

IMG_20190220_083420 (Large).jpg

IMG_20190220_083341 (Large).jpg

IMG_20190220_083313 (Large).jpg

• Like 3

My snow total is approaching 4".  The last band or two may get me there.  It appears much of Iowa under-performed.  There is a guy on the other forum about 30 miles wnw of Waterloo and he has 8.5", but there are a lot of 2-4" reports from areas that were under a warning for 6-8".  I feel fortunate to get 4" because we lucked out and got the intial band last evening while areas from Iowa City southward got stuck in dry pockets.