Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 19-21, 2019 storm threat

Danajames

28 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Rain after or mixed for a bit?

Getting closer to a straight snowstorm. This isn't so bad for a Euro signal. 

f120-2.gif

Impressive digging here too. Maybe an ice storm (if we didn't not have ice storms these days). 

f144-1.gif

(Maybe a bad interpretation but there is a lot of change possible I think..)

Light snow overspreads area at 5am Wednesday on 0z euro. Begins to mix dc to Balt between 12-3pm. Still mostly snow at 3pm Balt to the northeast. By 6pm the mix/rain line is running 95. By 9pm moderate rain with mixing in favored areas north and west. Rain everywhere south of md/pa border from 12am-9am. 

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/2019021700/maryland/significant-weather/20190221-0600z.html

12 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Light snow overspreads area at 5am Wednesday on 0z euro. Begins to mix dc to Balt between 12-3pm. Still mostly snow at 3pm Balt to the northeast. By 6pm the mix/rain line is running 95. By 9pm moderate rain with mixing in favored areas north and west. Rain everywhere south of md/pa border from 12am-9am. 

https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/2019021700/maryland/significant-weather/20190221-0600z.html

Try to ignore the weather.us snow depth of 8-12”+ Westminster to Frederick/Winchester. 

Getting closer to a straight snowstorm. This isn't so bad for a Euro signal. 
f120-2.gif&key=3ad7c8fc776c845e96c9274d6621d9d565d5dde5b70b99d72be94435dde68f62
Impressive digging here too. Maybe an ice storm (if we didn't not have ice storms these days). 
f144-1.gif&key=32edcee5dee34061b3e8b482be2cdce0073f7a5840647f478b2c9dd6306e4c8e
(Maybe a bad interpretation but there is a lot of change possible I think..)
Click to animate?

We don’t have access to the good data, but the FV3 clearly loses the column somewhere around 15z Wednesday in the DC area.  At that time ~0.45” of precip has fallen.  So, the FV3 is calling for a 4-5” storm followed by slop.  A bit more than the Euro, a bit less than the NAM.  

The TT snow maps are bad because they are snowing 10:1 ratios for sleet.  Actual sleet ratios are like 2:1.

• Like 3

I think we need the trough to shift further east if we want a clean snowstorm.  That se ridge is not ideal and I would assume it’s mucking with the mid level temps.  On the bright side, if this can turn into a longer duration version of the recent cutter that started out as snow, then we can probably pick up a quick couple of inches in the cities.  

3 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I think we need the trough to shift further east if we want a clean snowstorm.  That se ridge is not ideal and I would assume it’s mucking with the mid level temps.  On the bright side, if this can turn into a longer duration version of the recent cutter that started out as snow, then we can probably pick up a quick couple of inches in the cities.  

Agree even a couple of clicks east would make a difference.  Tall order but not impossible I guess.  

10 minutes ago, 87storms said:

It seems that this event will have more frozen for the cities than last weeks event so we have that going for us. I’d be happy with the general consensus so far of 2-4” on the front end. Anything but 35 degree rain for 24 hours please. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ji said:
4 hours ago, KingJWx said:
6z NAM map. Flips to sleet by 18z Wed at DC.
namconus_asnowd_neus_2-17-19.thumb.png.78858069d1ee5772d77162991c81f3b4.png

Sucks...slowed down onset time from 00z. So much for naming

Seen this look before.  The initial stream of stj moisture will turn from a northeast trajectory to more east as it hits the influence of the high.  That will direct a plume into the cold east of the mountains. Where that happens gets the thump. North and south of there will get screwed relatively. Models are all over with where.  Gfs and NAM are across central VA.  Fv3 and cmc likes your area.  Euro and icon likes my area. Won’t know exactly where that feature is going to be for a while yet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Seen this look before.  The initial stream of stj moisture will turn from a northeast trajectory to more east as it hits the influence of the high.  That will direct a plume into the cold east of the mountains. Where that happens gets the thump. North and south of there will get screwed relatively. Models are all over with where.  Gfs and NAM are across central VA.  Fv3 and cmc likes your area.  Euro and icon likes my area. Won’t know exactly where that feature is going to be for a while yet. 

Exactly right the way you describe the first part.  I said that in the NYC forum last night.  This is an event where areas further south may do well depending on where the moisture finds a weakness in the high.  We saw this occur in December 2013 I think where parts of NE MD/SE PA/SW NJ saw 8-10 inches and we maybe had 4 up here before going to rain.