Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 18 overrunning threat

ORH_wxman

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Oh definitely... but man this season has had quite a few higher QPF, low ratio snows than we are used to.  I guess that's what happens immediately north of the mix line on so many events.

Ha, Its been plenty of glop fest here too, Lot of 7-9:1 stuff on many storms this year.

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

00z HRRRX looks fine, if not great.  Not sure what the panic is about.  That's a good look for BDL-ORH-BOS.

Also looks like a light snow event for all of VT and NH now too.

blZJPrE.png

Yeah. The area of snow is developing and smoothing out as modeled too. I don’t see too many iss s unless you were hoping for 10”

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yeah. The area of snow is developing and smoothing out as modeled too. I don’t see too many iss s unless you were hoping for 10”

All models have had it blossoming over SNE... this isn't a "moving in like a wall" type event.  I'd take a half inch QPF snow prog on the HRRR all day long.  Where do I sign?

I'll enjoy even 1-2" of fluff, I just like seeing the flakes fly.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Scott have you seen the meso the develops on some models that rotates down fromPWM across Beantown then the Cape. We saw one of those in 11 I believe. Gave the EMA cost an additional 2 to 3 in heavy mini comma head stuff. Something to watch.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

All models have had it blossoming over SNE... this isn't a "moving in like a wall" type event.  I'd take a half inch QPF snow prog on the HRRR all day long.  Where do I sign?

Nice little moderate snow for the snow starved, I am getting interested in how much snow sleet ice we get down here Thursday 

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Scott have you seen the meso the develops on some models that rotates down fromPWM across Beantown then the Cape. We saw one of those in 11 I believe. Gave the EMA cost an additional 2 to 3 in heavy mini comma head stuff. Something to watch.

That’s like a mini srfc trough separating stronger E winds from NNE winds. Guidance has no idea with that, but something to watch. 

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'll enjoy even 1-2" of fluff, I just like seeing the flakes fly.

Yeah I’ll be happy with 2-4. Hoping 3-5. 

44 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Thought I'd put up a map... 

As I mentioned for days, my biggest red flag about going higher are that soundings still look terrible or spotty through the night, and even worse after 12z when models continue to accumulate another 2" or so in eastern SNE... 

Also, frankly, I can see the moon. Some time will be eaten up saturating the column. This has the feel (and current radar appearance) of a relatively ragged event. All making me lean conservative.

Boston metro I'm expecting 3-5", most before 12z. Thereafter soundings look crappy and we may get intermittent snow but overall looks like poor snowgrowth. As I posted yesterday, we do have good saturation and cold enough temps for snowgrowth around 900-850 mb with easterly fetch, but I'm not sure lift will be sufficient with uncertain IVT mechanics.

Where could I bust? (1) The 2-4" in sNH / nMA may be underestimating midlevel frontogenesis + better ratios, but I think dynamics are pretty weak and I'm not certain ratios will be significantly much better. 20:1 ratios will get it to about 3-4" using Euro/NAM qpf. (2) the arm of Cape Cod - Provincetown is currently in the 2-5" range, but might be clipped by 3-6" or even higher if the CCB dynamics are better and/or IVT overperforms.

Wxsniss_Forecast_Map_02_17_2019_9pm.jpeg.568a5ed50fb3013fc68eb938999a0de5.jpeg

I struggled with this part....I ultimately decided on that you did....2-5". The fact that the mid levels are opening up as it approaches limits the banding potential, however there should still be some enhancement for a time, otherwise its a 1-3" event here....I tried to account for both with the 2-5" zone. 5" would be the exception up here under whatever mid level banding that there is. If those mid level centers remain closed, then we could steal the show up here...models have hinted at that, but I'm not confident enough of that.

BOS to scooter and down to SE Ma could do pretty well after 18-19z tomorrow...I can see a scenario where the snow growth gets really crappy in the morning when the initial WAA thump moves out and they get dryslotted at H7 and everyone sort of thinks that's it for the event....but then the soundings start looking pretty nice again during the IVT stuff...gets cold and there's a decent lapse rate that develops....and snow blossoms nicely in the afternoon with good snow growth returning. 

Thats somehing we will have to watch for in terms of "surprises" that could turn a 4-5" event into a 7-8" lollipop in spots. 

The other spot might be N MA to NH border area where there's actually a nice 5-6 hour period of pretty persistent ML frontogenesis that comes in pulses. At least on NAM. Haven't checked HRRR but no reason to think NAM will be that far off now inside of 12 hours. Most other guidance has kind of been showing this anyway. But that's a prime suspect area for turning a 3" storm into a 6" lolli too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

BOS to scooter and down to SE Ma could do pretty well after 18-19z tomorrow...I can see a scenario where the snow growth gets really crappy in the morning when the initial WAA thump moves out and they get dryslotted at H7 and everyone sort of thinks that's it for the event....but then the soundings start looking pretty nice again during the IVT stuff...gets cold and there's a decent lapse rate that develops....and snow blossoms nicely in the afternoon with good snow growth returning. 

Thats somehing we will have to watch for in terms of "surprises" that could turn a 4-5" event into a 7-8" lollipop in spots. 

The other spot might be N MA to NH border area where there's actually a nice 5-6 hour period of pretty persistent ML frontogenesis that comes in pulses. At least on NAM. Haven't checked HRRR but no reason to think NAM will be that far off now inside of 12 hours. Most other guidance has kind of been showing this anyway. But that's a prime suspect area for turning a 3" storm into a 6" lolli too. 

Yea....that's my 2-5" up here....bc of the mid level front. Otherwise I would have gone 1-3" up here.

I figured 2-3" if it doesn't really pan out, and 4-5" if it does. 

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea....that's my 2-5" up here....bc of the mid level front. Otherwise I would have gone 1-3" up here.

I figured 2-3" if it doesn't really pan out, and 4-5" if it does. 

Your area actually might not be bad for the IVT either. You're pretty far east...guidance shows it lingering there as well. It's not just a SE MA thing. You just don't get into the initial push until a bit later otherwise you'd prob be in a 5-7" type spot. But def good to keep it 2-5 for now considering you have to wait longer for the main stuff. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Your area actually might not be bad for the IVT either. You're pretty far east...guidance shows it lingering there as well. It's not just a SE MA thing. You just don't get into the initial push until a bit later otherwise you'd prob be in a 5-7" type spot. But def good to keep it 2-5 for now considering you have to wait longer for the main stuff. 

My goal is 4"...make an even 30" heading into March. Then who knows....another March Mauler could get me into a range where my outlook isn't quite such a traumatic forecasting event.