• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 18 overrunning threat

ORH_wxman

From a synoptic standpoint, Monday has some pieces in place to produce pretty well actually...you have good confluence north to enhance any WAA fronto and the shortwave becoming stretched so you will get a deformation probably oriented E-W that drops some pretty good snows on someone.

The key is keeping the shortwave intact enough. Prior runs were just grinding the thing up, but it's trying to keep its integrity better now on some of these runs...even the 06z Euro trended that way.

Yeah, I know everyone is tired of hearing about how things could go right when they haven't this year, but putting aside the atmospheric voodoo that has been preformed on SNE weenies, keep on eye on how well the shortwave keeps intact as it heads east. What you want to look for is the "curve" in the shortwave base not becoming so squashed that it ends up almost a straight line...a little bit squashed is ok and actually could even help someone (via the stretched deformation band as mentioned above).

• Like 2

I'm not as tuned in these days ... as my personal druthers are sort of moving on from winter... But, upon glancing over things I'm not altogether turned off by the notion of a light to moderate (minimal) impact snow event on Monday afternoon-ish..  

The overnight GEFs are in very coherent agreement with the operational run, and there is no reason (in my perception of matters) why that type of solution can't "fit" into a compressed higher velocity flow structure. We are after all not talking about anything very big or needing larger areal phenomenon to get accomplished with that.  The GGEM has a flat wave with light QPF ... and the EPS was more robust than the operational Euro.  I speculate that the Euro (that's speculate...not sure entirely) that the Euro has an oh-so subtle overly amplified western N/A solution with the trough, which concomitantly requires over production of the downstream SE ridge by some near equal proportion.  But that might feed-back negatively (if so..) toward damping out the eject S/W mechanics that much critically more and it ends up losing a pallid system altogether and/or too much in general.  It's also a correction that would "fit" inside this type of overall flow.  

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ukie looks suppressed. Congrats PA/N NJ.

edit: I should at least add that it was a definite improvement over 00z.

It’s been bad all winter though it did nail this event tomorrow for VA being south when everything else other than the NAM was north.  I think 2-18 is mostly a southern New England event.  I expect we will be rain here.  Still think best snows will be south of the MA/CT/RI border, albeit not by much