Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 17th, 2019 Snow Event

cyclone77

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Bust up here. I was expecting 1-2" to whiten things up. However, I'm stuck with fzdz. That has been the default result here on at least 3 weather systems this winter. Just enough ice to send cars plowing into each other and into ditches.

EDIT: If the NAM temperature profile verifies, more of that crap Wednesday.

fzdz the default down here too with recent systems...probably including the upcoming midweek one.  I'm ready for spring svr season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, n1vek said:

Just went out for a drive. A lot more snow than I had expected. I think 3-4" is pretty conservative. Lines up with DTX/MIStorm97.

Stebo/SE Michigan crew, up stream is looking pretty good. Is that going to hold together for another wave?

Should for a while, it is associated with the weak surface low and in an area of upper divergence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Should for a while, it is associated with the weak surface low and in an area of upper divergence.

Sitting pretty in the exit region for sure. 

Went out and measured 5.0” imby and near 4” at Woodward and Main in Royal Oak. Tight gradient it looks like. Hoping to sneak our way to a 6” storm. 

ABDD841D-793D-492B-B560-84361D0B2677.jpeg

From DTX:

UPDATE...

The convective snow event, which impacted Ann Arbor and most of metro Detroit (outside of southern Wayne County) produced a swath of 3 to 5.5 inches of snow; most of which occurred over just a two hour period. Some of the peak intensities likely topped two inches per hour. The snow intensified along the nose of a 130kt mid level jet and lead edge of a mid level positive pv feature. The satellite appearance suggested a gravity wave was highly influential. The system intensified right as it moved across Ann Arbor and into metro Detroit. The feature was so strong that there has actually been a mid level subsidence bubble in its wake, briefly ending the snow across far Se Mi.

Picked up around 1.5" here, and had pretty good rates for about 20 minutes. Might grind out another half inch...

34 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

My storm total is 8.3".  Before the storm I guessed 4" and would have been quite happy with 6".

Dayum, very impressive.  Glad to see you guys, and the central Iowa peeps score a nice one.  

Picked up another 0.2" to bring us up to 5.2" for the event here.  MLI/DVN reported 5.2"/5.1" respectively.  This brings MLI up to 57.6" for the season, which is only 12.1" away from the all-time snowiest season set back in '74-'75.  They already smashed the previous all-time coldest temp on record with the -33 from Jan 31st, so if they can top it off with the all-time snowiest season this could go down as the most historic winter in their recorded history.

• Like 4

On 2/14/2019 at 7:33 AM, ams30721us said:

After suffering through all this winter weather recently, and sitting at 52.4" for the season, I'm all about getting a quick 17.4" more fluffy inches to have the all-time snowiest winter ever, along with the coldest temperature ever in the same season! Ha...So with that being said if we can land a quick 4-5" here, that would really help increase the chances of this actually occurring! :) 

I do like the faster start time, as models seem to have sped the system up a bit, with  more of a nighttime/early Sunday morning event, locally. 

home.gif

Reposting because we picked up 5" of fresh pow pow, to get us within 2" of the top 5 snowiest Winters ever, and only about 12"  away from the top spot with about two more systems on the way thru this weekend. Let it snow, Let it snow ! :snowing:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Based on CoCoRaHs reports, looks I like ended up with 5-6” at home with this event.

ORD finished with 4.3”

A little more now.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
122 PM CST MON FEB 18 2019

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

1200 PM     SNOW             OHARE AIRPORT           41.98N 87.90W
02/18/2019  M4.9 INCH        COOK               IL   OFFICIAL NWS OBS 

STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL. 0.6 INCHES SINCE 6AM. 

A little more now.
PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL122 PM CST MON FEB 18 2019..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....           ..REMARKS..1200 PM     SNOW             OHARE AIRPORT           41.98N 87.90W02/18/2019  M4.9 INCH        COOK               IL   OFFICIAL NWS OBS            STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL. 0.6 INCHES SINCE 6AM. 

Up to 41" on the season. With the pattern looking cold and active to close out the month and into March, a good chance to get to 50+ at ORD.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This month has been crazy with localized bands of snow in Detroits northern suburbs. That FGEN band pounded some areas last night, so those lucky to be in the band ended up with a fluffy 4 to 6.5" of snow. Frustrating in the southern burbs though.

Here our snow started out sandy (even with some dippin dots snow pellets) and ended fluffy. Got 2.1" here and 2.2" at DTW. We keep scrapping along (26.0" on the season so far) but despite the fun that has been had JUST to my north, as well as across the western part of the subforum, still looks like we may be on the way to just our 3rd below avg snow season in the last 12 years. Still a lot of time left though.

My work was right in that band, looked like 5-6" of fluff, and the difference in snow was crazy and very noticeable, with big fresh snowpiles everywhere. Whats also noticeable - the dreaded SUN ANGLE. I could not believe the melting that took place with temps below freezing. Sun angle talk is garbage when it comes to falling snow, but its definitely starting to affect fresh snow retention.

HOME

52890024_10111185201049253_1921178148976

WORK

52590218_10111185201323703_2392827684779